Menu

If you have asked a college for more money, how have you done it?

readwithem

A girl I have mentored has a full ride to one of our large state schools. She has been accepted at her dream school but the money isn't there (and her family TRULY can't afford a dime for college, she lives in the 11th poorest zip code in the US).

So it would be great if she could get more $$ out of dream school. If you have asked and been successful, could you tell me how you went about it? And did the student do the asking? By phone or email? I was thinking something along the lines of "I would love to attend dream school and am ready to commit if you can match large state school's offer..." but I'd love to hear what has worked for you.

UPDATE:

I tried to call the girl's mom a few times but got no answer, the younger sister (goes to the school where I tutor) said she was sick. Then I was traveling for 3 weeks. Fast forward to today, I finally reached the mom. Her dd has been woo'd by the state school (more money, paid visit, etc.) and in the interim has fallen in love with the state school and accepted there. Her mom sounded so happy and relieved.

Thank you so much for all your input - I'm sure I'll have a future time to put it to good use! :)

We received more after asking for it. We didn't qualify for any financial aid, but ds received a generous merit scholarship. I was told that this school, in particular, was good about reviewing merit aid. So, I wrote an email in 10 minutes; no real details about our financial state - just general. I did say it was ds's first choice school and I did include a copy of a competitor's merit aid offer. Two days later, we received notice of an additional $8,000 over four years. Not bad for a ten minute email.

I am not sure how to go about asking for a review of financial aid; call the financial aid office. They are used to this and will give you details/forms needed for beginning the process. You should definitely include the state school's offer (copy the actual paper).

I do remember researching who should be the one to write the email. Because I am responsible for paying and I wanted to show that I supported my son's first choice school, I wrote the email.

Best wishes to your friend!

We did something similar to Lisa, and with a similar result on merit aid. I agree with her about checking with the school on how they might review need-based aid -- perhaps more documentation would be needed.

However, I think I'd be cautious here and investigate a few things. First, I'd look up on collegedata.com the average % of need met at the dream school. If they tend to be stingy, then your chances of success will be lower. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give it a shot. If the % of need met is low, I would also be worried that they might increase the aid this year to enroll the student and then back off on aid in future years. I would look at college confidential's page on the dream school and see if you can find out how generous they typically are. Also, you could ask there what peoples' experiences are with asking for more aid and also how good they are with consistent aid in future years.

If there is any chance that the student's family finances will change in the next few years and would reduce the eligibility for need-based aid, I'd be very cautious about accepting at dream school because even if the student's family finances improve in a given year, they likely still won't have a lot of $ to spare for college. In short, if the full ride is merit aid good for 4 years and doesn't have a ridiculously high GPA requirement to keep, I'd be very hesitant to turn that down.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Thanks so much for this great advice, ladies. Brenda, I'll definitely look on College Confidential and collegedata.com. I'll be talking more with her mom this week about strategizing - I know she has some merit aid at the state school (she's National Achievement Finalist) but I don't know the mix (merit/need) from either school. And I think her mom was confused about the amount from dream school. They definitely qualify for need based aid (single mom works seasonally) but she's in a private college prep school and I don't know that her counselor is well versed in all things involving financial aid...

In several of the books and articles I've read this year there was mention of mistakes or misunderstandings on how the aid office understood the FAFSA submissions. In several cases there were mentions of higher income being listed or financial obligations being misunderstood (for example severe hurricane damage causing expensive repairs to the family home which lowered the the value).

So I think the first step might be to review the aid info to see if there are mistakes.

When my (now a college senior) daughter was applying to colleges, she requested additional funding from her first choice college and provided them with a copy of another college's more generous financial aid offer. The other offer had about $3,000 more in grants. She did receive the requested amount in the form of a grant. It was a one year grant which was not renewed for her sophomore year. I believe that my daughter made her request via email.

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

No real help here, but maybe some encouragement. When our oldest daughter turned down one of the schools she applied for, we mentioned in passing that she had been offered more at another, and found out after the fact that the school would have offered her a full ride to get her there. (They wanted her for orchestra.) It just goes to show that the schools have some wiggle room, and if you don't ask you won't find out!

So, go for it!!!

We called and then wrote the school explaining our financial situation (medical bills) and stating clearly that she would not be able to attend without more money. They matched the state school costs. Two other colleges offered more money, but not enough more. The student could start with calling the counselor person or the finance person.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I tried to call the girl's mom a few times but got no answer, the younger sister (goes to the school where I tutor) said she was sick. Then I was traveling for 3 weeks. Fast forward to today, I finally reached the mom. Her dd has been woo'd by the state school (more money, paid visit, etc.) and in the interim has fallen in love with the state school and accepted there. Her mom sounded so happy and relieved.

Thank you so much for all your input - I'm sure I'll have a future time to put it to good use! :)

:hurray: