Menu

Cooking with coconut flour ??

Ellie

When you go to buy coconut flour you will be floored by the price. It seems expensive. But really a small bag goes a long way. I ordered some from Tropical Traditions because they had some awesome deal. I thought the amount I ordered wouldn't last all that long. Well after trying a few recipes I realized it will last me forever. So I threw a lot of it in the freezer.

One thing that is a pain about it is that it lumps up easily. You have to sift it each time you go to use it.

If I recall correctly Tropical Traditions has a lot of recipes on their site too.

I just finished a really old bag! It was Trop. Traditions and lasted for a long, long time. It was even substantially past the use by date but wasn't rancid or anything, so I used it up.

When you go to buy coconut flour you will be floored by the price. It seems expensive. But really a small bag goes a long way. I ordered some from Tropical Traditions because they had some awesome deal. I thought the amount I ordered wouldn't last all that long. Well after trying a few recipes I realized it will last me forever. So I threw a lot of it in the freezer.

One thing that is a pain about it is that it lumps up easily. You have to sift it each time you go to use it.

If I recall correctly Tropical Traditions has a lot of recipes on their site too.

I haven't had problems with clumping. Maybe it depends on the humidity where you live? I'm in a desert. :)

about the price... this is good to know, I was avoiding it for this reason :thumbup:

I ordered some off of Amazon this week to us for thickening beef stew. We are mostly gluten free here, but sometimes I start making something forgetting that I typically use flour in it. So my beef stew was more of a soup. I can't wait to try it with the coconut flour. Good to know that i should just add a little at a time until i get used to working with it.

I ordered some off of Amazon this week to us for thickening beef stew. We are mostly gluten free here, but sometimes I start making something forgetting that I typically use flour in it. So my beef stew was more of a soup. I can't wait to try it with the coconut flour. Good to know that i should just add a little at a time until i get used to working with it.

Let us know how it turns out!

Xanthan gum is kind of slimy feeling, but if you go really light on it, it can thicken things up a bit. Too much and you end up with slime. It also thickens shakes, smoothies, that type of thing.

On lowcarbfriends there are a lot of people having success making dumplings using oat fiber and glucomannan. Some people have then basically pureed up the dumpling type of mixture to use as a thickener.

Just tossing that out there in case the coconut flour doesn't thicken well for you.

(sorry, crossposted with WendyK. I agree that the coconut flour probably won't work out).

I have tried using it as a thickener. NOT GOOD. Don't do it. It will ruin your food.

A better thickener is xanthan gum.

Xanthan gum is kind of slimy feeling, but if you go really light on it, it can thicken things up a bit. Too much and you end up with slime. It also thickens shakes, smoothies, that type of thing.

Thank you! I guess ill have to use the coconut flour for something else. Ill look at those other site reccommended.

On lowcarbfriends there are a lot of people having success making dumplings using oat fiber and glucomannan. Some people have then basically pureed up the dumpling type of mixture to use as a thickener.

Just tossing that out there in case the coconut flour doesn't thicken well for you.

(sorry, crossposted with WendyK. I agree that the coconut flour probably won't work out).

Like others said it is WAY different.

This is my favorite coconut flour baking book:

http://www.amazon.co...onut flour fife

The author uses real sugar though. I just substitute with whatever sugar substitutes and the recipes still work fine.

The biggest difference is that coconut flour sucks up liquid. So you use very little of it in a recipe and many of the recipes call for a ton of eggs. So a muffin recipe, for example, might use only 1/4 a cup of coconut flour, but 3/4 eggs.

I was going to post a link to this same book. This book seems to cover it all!

Guess i multi quoted wrong...

Thank you for telling me! Guess ill use the coconut flour for one of those other wonderful recipes on the other sites. But i did come across two or three recipes that said coconut flour could be subbed, glad i didnt ruin a crockpot full of stew!