Menu

Planning a trip to PA, what to see?

I'd plan on stopping in Gettysburg (but this summer, it is likely to be very crowded, since it's the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg). Depending on how you're getting to the northern part of the state, you might head through the Lancaster County area; my kids really enjoy the living farm/settlement at the Landis Valley Museum. If you're heading through the center of the state, there are a lot of pretty places to hike and do outdoorsy sorts of stuff. We enjoyed our trip to the Wellsboro area a few years ago, but that might be further west than you want to be. We haven't quite made it to the Wilkes Barre area yet, though, so I'm not sure what all is up there that would be cool to see. You may want to check out this site to see if there are any historic sites that will be on your path: http://www.paheritage.org/pa-trail-of-history.html

What time of year are you coming? This is only open April thru November, but it's pretty cool.

http://www.visitpa.com/lackawanna-coal-mine-tour

There's the train museum-

http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

And we love the Crayola Factory!!!!

http://www2.crayola.com/factory/your_visit.cfm

The first two options are in Scranton (close to me). The third is in Easton.

What time of year are you coming? This is only open April thru November, but it's pretty cool.

http://www.visitpa.c...-coal-mine-tour

There's the train museum-

http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

And we love the Crayola Factory!!!!

http://www2.crayola..../your_visit.cfm

The first two options are in Scranton (close to me). The third is in Easton.

I was going to suggest Steamtown and the coal mine tour, but be aware of how your kids are with things like that--we spent a pretty miserable time with one kiddo scared to death to be underground in the coal mine like that. Her fright "infected" the others, and DH and I had our hands full trying to keep everyone from completely melting down.

I was going to suggest Steamtown and the coal mine tour, but be aware of how your kids are with things like that--we spent a pretty miserable time with one kiddo scared to death to be underground in the coal mine like that. Her fright "infected" the others, and DH and I had our hands full trying to keep everyone from completely melting down.

I didn't even think of that! Definitely look over the link first.

Another thumbs up for the Steamtown train museum. If you are traveling in the summertime, check out Knoebels, which is an amusement park, but a very cute one. No admission charge, no charge for parking, you just pay for the rides that you ride through tickets or a flat fee. It is nice to not have to pay for adults who may not be interested in going on rides. It would be a bit of a drive.

Do you ski? There is plenty of skiing around here. The coal mine tour is fun but it will definitely depend on your kids ages and temperaments. I've heard the Houdini museum is a big disappointment, but I've never been there.

Lancaster County is awesome. We used to live right near Landis Valley Farm Museum and loved it. It's especially great in the fall for Harvest Days.

Do you ski? There is plenty of skiing around here. The coal mine tour is fun but it will definitely depend on your kids ages and temperaments. I've heard the Houdini museum is a big disappointment, but I've never been there.

Lancaster County is awesome. We used to live right near Landis Valley Farm Museum and loved it. It's especially great in the fall for Harvest Days.

I ski, but no one else does. So that would likely be out. I don't know what time we are going yet, it depends on when hubby can get off work. I want to go while the PS kids are in school, so now to May or September on. I lived in Alaska for years so snow won't bother me at all, and the kids would love to see it. Not much snow in South Texas.

We are going to Lancaster County, will check out the Landis Valley Farm Museum. Thanks.

Trying to think what is close to the Scranton area. Rickets Glen is a great state park for hiking. It has some beautiful waterfalls. Roadside America is really cool - miniature train sets. If you were going towards Philly, I would recommend Valley Forge State Park especially in the spring when the cherry trees are in bloom. Trying to think of the name of the town where that fire has been burning underground for decades. If you head to Lancaster, there is always the Hershey Factory tour.

Trying to think of the name of the town where that fire has been burning underground for decades.

Centralia. I drove through there lots as a kid, so it is etched in my mind. There's a coal mine tour near there too, and that's also very close to Knoebel's. Knoebels is open on weekends in May and Sept. I believe, so that might fit your time frame. I am so not an amusement park person, but that one is enjoyable. Dutch Wonderland is out toward the Lancaster area and is a cute amusement park for littles.

CLoser to your home base, there's also a Houdini museum in Scranton, LOL. I know it is there but have never been.

Oh, Knoebel's is a lot of fun for young kids -- lots to ride, and you don't have to pay full price for parents if they don't want to ride many rides. Dutch Wonderland is also very nice, and so is Hersheypark, but Knobel's is probably the best overall value for families.

May or September would be great times to visit PA -- not too hot, not too crowded, but pleasant time for being outside.

If you're near Lancaster, Dutch Wonderland is better for the littlest ones than Hersheypark, IMO (but Hersheypark does have Chocolate World!) There's Colonial Plantation in Ridley Creek State Park, Hopewell Furnace, the State Museum in Harrisburg, Indian Echo Caverns outside of Hershey (it wasn't nearly as difficult as the coal mine tour!)

Ooo! Near Lancaster in Strasburg is a train museum and a place that does steam train rides. In West Chester is the Helicopter Museum. Jim Thorpe has a diesel train ride.

I'm trying to remember more of our road trip around the state from last year, but it's all a blur!

Most of the places listed are pretty far from Williamsport.

Williamsport has the Little League Museum and I think there is a Children's Museum there somewhere. Also a place called Treasure Castle... it's just a big indoor play area, but great to get out some energy. Oh and the Hiawatha Paddle Wheel boat if you come during the season it is running. Reptile Land is just outside of Williamsport on RT 15. About an hour north of Williamsport is The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon... there are all kinds of tourist attractions in that area.. covered wagon rides in the canyon, train rides in Wellsboro. About 1.5 hours from Williamsport is Penn's Cave (kind of to the south west I believe). Ummmmm.... Knoebels is wonderful, if you come during their open season (May-Sept). Also there is Ashland Coal Mine Tours about a half hour or so beyond Knoebels from Williamsport. Oh and if you go to Ashland, you have to make sure you go through Centralia where there is a mine fire burning underground. It has become pretty much a ghost town, most buildings have been torn down, but you can see the smoke come up through the ground, esp in the cemetery.

Awesome thank you. I saw about the paddle boost last night, We all want to go!

I agree with everyone about Knoebels. Really fun, easy, family friendly for all ages place. The "Pennsylvania Grand Canyon" is also supposed to be neat, especially if you like hiking and the outdoors. I haven't been there myself, but it is supposed to be really beautiful. (www.pacanyon.com) We have stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati and it is SUPER fun. Lots to do - kind of expensive compared to other indoor waterparks, but it is nearly impossible to not have a good time there. So much to do!

Amish country is a bit of a must see if you've never been exposed to their culture. Lititz is a super darling little, small town to visit!

Okay, the post about Ashland reminded me of Eckley's Miner's Village. We did the Ashland tour years ago and really enjoyed it. We really enjoyed Eckley's Miner's Village too, but possibly because we already had seen the movie The Molly Maguires. It was filmed at Eckley's Miner's Village.

If you travel when it's warm, I second, third, and fourth the suggestions for Knoebbels, Ricketts Glen (287 acre lake at the top with a beach, for swimming, boating, fishing, picnicking, very family friendly. Bring good hiking shoes for the falls trail and keep a grip on the kids; no guard rails, slippery rocks, and steep drops, and a little raceway just up 118), Welsborough, and Great Wolf. If you enjoy camping, ou will nearly be in World's End, which is beautiful.

If you go in deep winter, call ahead to the fire department in Eaglesmere to see if the hand-cut toboggan run is up and running. Sending you out onto the lake at high speed on wooden toboggans (yes the kids ride with you, sandwiched between Mom and Dad) this one is not to be missed.

Houdini's museum is rather dull unless you are a huge fan and already know some history on him. FOr your chidlren's ages I would wait.

There are hiking trails all over PA depending on where you want to go that have some beautiful sites.

Nice Art Museum In Allentown, which is not too far from The Easton Crayola factory(about 35 minutes depedning on traffic). From Scranton the Art Museum would be about 1.5 hours. It has focus for all ages.

A nice, cute hands on museum in Scranton near Nay Aug Park. Not sure what they are focused on right now but in the past have had lego focuses, native american art,etc.

Crystal Cave has some nice scenic hiking, picnic area and a video on the cave. Then, if you want you can take a tour of the cave or for your sensitive daugther you can pan for minerals and explore around. That is in the Lehigh Valley area.

So lots of things depending on where you want to go.

Hershey park has a Homeschool Day, I think in March???

I agree with everyone about Knoebels. Really fun, easy, family friendly for all ages place. The "Pennsylvania Grand Canyon" is also supposed to be neat, especially if you like hiking and the outdoors. I haven't been there myself, but it is supposed to be really beautiful. (www.pacanyon.com) We have stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati and it is SUPER fun. Lots to do - kind of expensive compared to other indoor waterparks, but it is nearly impossible to not have a good time there. So much to do!

Amish country is a bit of a must see if you've never been exposed to their culture. Lititz is a super darling little, small town to visit!

The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon IS really pretty! So is Wellsboro, right nearby -- adorable little town. We spent a four-day weekend traveling from Wellsboro west to Erie, stopping at Kinzua in the middle, and it was all gorgeous!

(I love this thread! I've lived in four areas of the state in my lifetime, so we've been privileged to see a lot of the places listed. But now I'm all infused with new excitement about trying the places we haven't seen yet!)