Menu

What is your favorite handwriting style/books?

I love Handwriting without Tears for printing. It's simple, straight-forward, and results in very neat handwriting. We have also used it for cursive, but I don't love their cursive style. My oldest wanted a prettier style for cursive, so after finishing HWT cursive she used the Queen Homeschool handwriting books to learn Zaner-Blosen style cursive. She has very pretty handwriting now. Ds7 has been happy with the simpler HWT-style cursive.

We ended up using Italics for my the older two and I do not like the outcome.

Just curious what you did not like about the outcome.

I am very practical and do not care much which font is used. But I do prefer something in which every lower case letter starts on the baseline, because it is much easier to teach and learn.

Just curious what you did not like about the outcome.

I am very practical and do not care much which font is used. But I do prefer something in which every lower case letter starts on the baseline, because it is much easier to teach and learn.

Funny, because I love WRTR handwriting instruction precisely because nothing starts on the baseline! We found that the specific, explicit instruction with WRTR produced the quickest, most pleasing results with my kids.

I just don't care for how their handwriting looks. My oldest is odd enough. Now I keep thinking how his writing is going to look to a professor. It looks like he made up some handwriting of his own. Or maybe his mom said cursive is where you run all the letters together. And, then people pat us on our dumb little heads and say it's ok, Homeschoolers don't know any better.

I just don't care for how their handwriting looks. My oldest is odd enough. Now I keep thinking how his writing is going to look to a professor. It looks like he made up some handwriting of his own. Or maybe his mom said cursive is where you run all the letters together. And, then people pat us on our dumb little heads and say it's ok, Homeschoolers don't know any better.

Well the good thing is most professors dont have you turn in written work anymore. Most work is typed. Atleast, in our recent experiences.

I can understand this. DS used Getty-Dubay Italic after trying several other programs. This was the only program that helped him move from printing to something looking more like cursive. Now, in grade 9, his writing does not look as italic-y as when he first learned it. Overall, I don't regret using the program. I think it is perfectly acceptable as cursive writing.

I let my oldest pick what style of handwriting he thought looked nicest. He chose D'Nealian, we printed off a D'Nealian alphabet, and I had him practice his letters on basic kindergarten/first grade paper that I provided. No workbooks or programs used. His handwriting is lovely. I'm not sure whether the same approach will work with dd or if perhaps she'll want to chose her own style of writing.