Menu

Why do I agonize over downloading free Kindle books?

Elinor Everywhere

I get three emails a day with free Kindle deals (some overlap). When I look through them, I find one or two that look interesting, then I spend a long time poring over the Amazon reviews, in agony over whether I'll like the book and who to believe.

It's free, for crying out loud! If I don't like it, I can delete it. Why do I spend so much time worrying about it?!! :banghead:

When I'm busy and I'm not sure I just download it and check it out later. I figure it's free and I can always delete.

That's what I do. I can usually tell very quickly whether it's going to be of value. If it's not, I stop reading and delete. With free stuff, I wouldn't even check Amazon reviews (although I do check them and find them valuable when there's a cost involved in my decision).

Just start downloading, OP. The thrill and rush of the quick download will quickly replace your agony. Then you'll have a whole new problem to worry about (just kidding). :tongue_smilie:

That's what I do. I can usually tell very quickly whether it's going to be of value. If it's not, I stop reading and delete. With free stuff, I wouldn't even check Amazon reviews (although I do check them and find them valuable when there's a cost involved in my decision).

Just start downloading, OP. The thrill and rush of the quick download will quickly replace your agony. Then you'll have a whole new problem to worry about (just kidding). :tongue_smilie:

I know, it sounds so simple! It's free, what the heck, just downloaded it and give it a whirl already. And tomorrow morning, there I'll be, spending 20 minutes deciding the fate of each book....:D

I'll try it your way, if I can. So strange!

Because your time is valuable - even if the book is free.

If you download it and take the time to read it, you feel burned if it turns out to be a horrible book. I always end up resenting authors who waste my valuable reading time!

This sounds like me. If I download 2 a day, say, and I start reading them, I need to give a book a good 50-100 pages, depending upon overall length. That's a lot of time every day or two for books, and man, I'm on the 52-book challenge and I have no time to waste!! :laugh:

I think Amazon reviews have crippled my reading habits. Before the internet and Amazon, I'd pick up a book and start reading it, making the decision as I read if I enjoyed it or not. Now, I feel like I spend more time reading reviews than reading actual books :glare: . It's an affliction, to be sure.

I think Amazon reviews have crippled my reading habits. Before the internet and Amazon, I'd pick up a book and start reading it, making the decision as I read if I enjoyed it or not. Now, I feel like I spend more time reading reviews than reading actual books :glare: . It's an affliction, to be sure.

Yes, THIS exactly.

The same goes with iPad apps. They are free, but I won't download until I read reviews. I take much more time over a Kindle e-book, unless it's one I know. I'm not a hoarder by nature, so it seems to have transferred into my electronic choices.

Part of the problem is that the apps and e-books are mainly for DD and that could be why I'm careful about what I install. Deleting on a Kindle and iPad also requires that I delete it from my PC and iTunes, so it's really too much trouble.

Anyway, I don't feel as absurd as a minute ago. Company helps.

I will be getting a Kindle for my birthday, can you share the websites that you are getting these emails from? I would love to load up my Kindle with some good books, and free is the way to go!

I signed up for one on Amazon - about 4 of them are free and the rest reduced to $2-3. My favorite one is called "Daily Kindle Books" from eReaderIQ. http://www.ereaderiq.com

You can customize the genres you receive, and they have loads of free books.

Happy free shopping!! :)