Menu

Supplementing ps kinder reading. Are there quick phonics workbooks?

My dd is in ps kindergarten and they do some phonics but not nearly enough for her to pick up reading better. They learn to try to figure out the word from the picture or from the first and last letter. She just guesses and its driving me crazy. I am bringing her home for 1st to join her brother, but I would really like to have her reading well before then.

I have her read to me every night and we talk about sounds, but she needs more repitition. Does Barnes and Noble have workbooks to help this or are there other resources that helped your child?

Thanks

Instead of a workbook I would buy a reading manual/ program like Ordinary Parents Guide To Teaching Reading, Phonics Pathways, Funnix, 100 Easy Lessons, or Dancing Bears. Memorizing sight words is not going to help your child learn to read well. I still am puzzled as to why the emphasis on sight words in public kindergarten classes.

Another vote for Explode the Code.

Sight reading has been the norm in U.S. public schools since the 50s. A few manage to break free and teach true phonics, but they are the minority. And the professionals keep trying to reinvent sight reading, which is what the "whole language" debacle is about, but it's still sight reading. I have been a convert to phonics since I read "Why Johnny Still Can't Read."

Another vote for Explode the Code.

Sight reading has been the norm in U.S. public schools since the 50s. A few manage to break free and teach true phonics, but they are the minority. And the professionals keep trying to reinvent sight reading, which is what the "whole language" debacle is about, but it's still sight reading. I have been a convert to phonics since I read "Why Johnny Still Can't Read."

I AGREE!!!! I seriously could have written this Ellie, down to the conversion to phonics since reading "Why Johnny Can't Read". It's a very telling book. So, yes, my recommendation for you, OP, is also Explode the Code.

I brought my son home from ps K 3 weeks ago. He was not reading but like you said guessing words. We use opgtr and ass. I'm waiting for our ETC book to arrive. HE CAN READ now. Alotnof times he isn't sounding out anymore. And he is beyond CVC words. All in 3 weeks :)