Menu

anniversary etiquette ??

HollyDay

My father passed away last March. My mother is alive but living in another state. Their wedding anniversary is Valentine's Day. Do I send a Valentine's card? Anniversary card? I just don't know. Last Valentine's Day, we were meeting with the doctors talking about DNR paperwork. I'm just not sure how to handle this Valentine's/Anniversary.

I'd call or send a card, or both, however you ordinarily interact. I think that would be very thoughtful. The day might be a sensitive one for your mom.

My mom called me today to remind me that today is my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. My dad passed away a few years ago. I feel bad that I remembered last week but forgot today.

I love the idea of a 'thinking of you' card. Call to share a happy memory of your dad. Say his name or Daddy or whatever you called him.

It's okay if everyone cries a little bit or a whole lot.

Hugs to you as you grieve, remember, and live on. (My Dad will have been gone 30 (!) years in early March. I still miss him!)

How about a "thinking of you" card. Because that is what you are really doing. You are wanting to express you love and concern. You can write a note inside expressing something like "I hope you remember all the happy Valentine's days with Dad. Call me if you want to reminisce."

Very well stated.

How about a "thinking of you" card. Because that is what you are really doing. You are wanting to express you love and concern. You can write a note inside expressing something like "I hope you remember all the happy Valentine's days with Dad. Call me if you want to reminisce."

:iagree:

Yes, please remember this date with your mom.

I have a friend from a grief group who truly appreciated that her daughters sent her flowers to mark her wedding anniversary. If your father sent fowers for Valentine's Day/anniversary, that might be something she is worried about missing that day. I know it hurts that no one ever remembered my husband and my anniversary after he died. Even though we didn't get enough time together, I am still thankful we married.

you need to consider your mom and how she copes and deals.

My dh and his siblings sent their mother a dozen red roses for their parents anniversary as their father had always given her roses for their anniversary. It was several years after his father had died. She loved the roses - and asked them to never do it again because it was too painful.

My mom didn't want us to mark the day at all. Didn't want any recognition that their anniversary was that day. BUT, my dad died 20 days before their anniversary. It was so, so close.

I don't know what she'll want this year. I did call an check on her midway through the day to make sure she was okay. That was normal for me to do though.

It was their 42nd anniversary.