Menu

XTRAmath.com Praise!!

PachiSusan

I think it was mommy22alyns that turned me on to this site, but whoever did - I want to THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I set up an account for Melissa and she sorta rolled her eyes at me and didn't really want to do it, but after she did the first one and she saw she was getting SMILEY FACES for everything she did right, she was hooked. She was actually sad to be told by our wonderful man in red to log off.

• Like 3

I think it was mommy22alyns that turned me on to this site, but whoever did - I want to THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I set up an account for Melissa and she sorta rolled her eyes at me and didn't really want to do it, but after she did the first one and she saw she was getting SMILEY FACES for everything she did right, she was hooked. She was actually sad to be told by our wonderful man in red to log off.

I am glad your DD likes it! My son liked it for a while, but he got very stressed out during Race the Teacher so we stopped doing it. Just to let you, wonderful man in red stops talking after your child uses the program for a few days. :001_smile:

My kids do extramath every day. They don't love it, but I do! When they get 85% I let them move on to the next set of facts. For instance, when they get 85% in addition, they then start subtraction.

Right now my dd7 has 85% in addition and 63% in subtraction. My dd8 has 85% in addition, 86% in subtraction, and 41% in multiplication.

We love XM too. Re: stress/frustration: there is an option for getting twice as much time for each question as the default 3 seconds.

Another computer program we love is TimezAttack. it has an addition/subtraction component as well as multiplication & division.

Thank you. I think that would help my son a lot! I also forgot that we did run into issues with typos as well. :-) I may give it another shot tonight because it really did help!

We love XM too. Re: stress/frustration: there is an option for getting twice as much time for each question as the default 3 seconds.

Another computer program we love is TimezAttack. it has an addition/subtraction component as well as multiplication & division.

How do you change the time setting? I loved xtramath for multiplication drill because it was systematic and consistent. We stopped doing it though because my dd absolutely hated the time constraint.

So there is a way to "override" it and let them move on?!?! Wish I had known about that. My poor dd was getting like 98% for several days in a row in addition, but the program would not let her move on without 100%.

Yes. If you log in under your teacher account, not the student. Then you can go under that student's profile and click on change program. It gives you a list of options that you can place your child into.

The only thing I didn't like about the 6 second option is you can only choose that for one operation. For example, I can change to 6 second addition. But I need my dd to be practicing addition and subtraction. The program doesn't give you the option to do both, you must chose one or the other.

So what I do is I type for my dd, since she can give me the answer way faster than trying to find it on the keyboard. It caused a LOT less frustration and she was able to move ahead.

Thanks for the "extended" 6 second tip! DS is still learning to type, so was getting very frustrated by the time limit when he knew the answers but couldn't type them in fast enough to get a smiley. I changed it for him today and much better response from him! Thanks for sharing that tip!

Similar issue with ETC online typing that is timed, wish they had the "extended" option for younger kids who know the material but are still becoming familiar with keyboard.

Yes. If you log in under your teacher account, not the student. Then you can go under that student's profile and click on change program. It gives you a list of options that you can place your child into.

The only thing I didn't like about the 6 second option is you can only choose that for one operation. For example, I can change to 6 second addition. But I need my dd to be practicing addition and subtraction. The program doesn't give you the option to do both, you must chose one or the other.

So what I do is I type for my dd, since she can give me the answer way faster than trying to find it on the keyboard. It caused a LOT less frustration and she was able to move ahead.

I wonder if they still have that option. All I have is to change what operations she does. There is no time section unless I'm blind. LOL

• 3 years later...