Menu

Reads well but spells poorly

Quiver0f10

My 15ds has always been this way. I've honestly tried all sorts of approaches with him. For the past 1.5 years I've been using Dictation Day By Day (you can get this on GoogleBooks) with studied dictation and I've seen more progress with him in this than any other method. I'm not sure why. My basic theory is that having him study the words before dictation is helping him recognize spelling patterns and the dictation itself is helping him think while he writes. I really wish I had started this with him back when he was younger.

Of course, it could just be that his age is finally working in his favor and that he's growing out of some of the spelling issue he's always had.

My 9.5 year is the same. He reads very well but has always struggled with spelling. Right now he is doing dictation and R&S Spelling level 3. I started him a grade lower because he really needs the practice. I like R&S so far and he seems to be improving this year. I plan to use book 4 with him next and already have it. Prior to that I used AAS 1, 2, and most of 3, but it was too time consuming. We went through levels 1, and 2 in one school year but 3 was just not getting done.

In my experience, LOE is invaluable for a child who struggles with spelling. Is there a way you could shelve something else to free up some time? Another curriculum we have had luck with is Apples and Pears. It is less time intensive than LOE, but you will not get the intense phonogram and spelling rules like you do in LOE.

Also, with my child the discrepancy between reading and spelling turned out to be a vision problem (eyes over-converging).

What is LOE?

Logic of English

Eta: I think this is it. http://www.logicofenglish.com/products/explore/homeschool

I've never looked at it before but now I'm intrigued. Do you start all students from the beginning? My ds did a little over a year of PR, but it got to be too much so I dropped it. It seemed like he needed more writing in context. Off to research. As if I need another program to fill up my day...

Edited by TKDmom

My 15ds has always been this way. I've honestly tried all sorts of approaches with him. For the past 1.5 years I've been using Dictation Day By Day (you can get this on GoogleBooks) with studied dictation and I've seen more progress with him in this than any other method. I'm not sure why. My basic theory is that having him study the words before dictation is helping him recognize spelling patterns and the dictation itself is helping him think while he writes. I really wish I had started this with him back when he was younger.

Of course, it could just be that his age is finally working in his favor and that he's growing out of some of the spelling issue he's always had.

I know there are various ways to do dictation. Can you explain what you mean by 'studied dictation'?

You might be right about age playing a role. I know in SWB writing lecture (middle school I think) she mentions that many spelling errors at that age are carelessness, and that Dc in middle grades become more capable spellers. She recommended asking for mis-spellings in writing assignments to be rewritten 5 times each. She said most mis-spellings from her Dc disappeared after that. It's a very simple approach, but I hadn't thought of it. I hope I described what she said correctly.

Those with older Dc who have had trouble with spelling may want to read this threadtoo.

I have 2 kids like this. For my oldest, it is an attention issue. He didn't care and didn't notice he was misspelling words. He could spell for the test, so I knew he had the ability. I started keeping a spelling journal and every time he misspelled a word, I wrote it in his journal and he has to copy it correctly every day until the page is full. It is very motivating for him. At the beginning of the year I was writing 4-5 new words in his journal a day and now he gets 1-3 words a week.

For my other child, we have discovered it is most likely a hearing issue. We had her tested for other issues and they suspect she has auditory processing disorder. I don't think she processes the phonograms or hears them like she should. This is consistent with the very strange types of spelling errors she makes. We've been using AAS which relies a lot on being able to hear the sounds of words accurately. I think she may do better if I switch to something pattern based like sequential spelling.

I have a nine year old who reads as well as I do but has never been able to grasp spelling. She can, with much effort, memorize spelling words but within a day or so after the spelling test she can't remember how to spell the same words. She is mildly gifted, and diagnosed with dysgraphia. Apparently the dysgraphia in her case extends to the patterns of how letters are arranged in words. I've probably found it more frustrating than she has.

We've switched to keyboarding over the past year and that has helped. I let her use spell check too, for her writing assignments. I've spent a LOT of time going over phonograms with her (like in SWR) and we STILL go over them daily. I think it is slowly helping a little. But yes, we have done the rounds of nearly every spelling curriculum out there with no magic cure.

I know there are various ways to do dictation. Can you explain what you mean by 'studied dictation'?

You might be right about age playing a role. I know in SWB writing lecture (middle school I think) she mentions that many spelling errors at that age are carelessness, and that Dc in middle grades become more capable spellers. She recommended asking for mis-spellings in writing assignments to be rewritten 5 times each. She said most mis-spellings from her Dc disappeared after that. It's a very simple approach, but I hadn't thought of it. I hope I described what she said correctly.

Those with older Dc who have had trouble with spelling may want to read this threadtoo.

Our routine for dictation is that they study the passage before the dictation. They can make a mental note of any spellings that they aren't confident of and they study the punctuation of the passage. I read the passage or a section of it - I'm constantly trying to stretch the length of what they need to remember - and they write. When they are finished, I read it through one more time and then they check it. If they have absolutely no errors (no spelling, no punctuation, no capitalization) they move onto the next passage the next day. If there are any errors, they repeat it the next day.

We have the same issue, and I'm doing LOE - just the spelling - with my 10 yo to address it. It is really helping. The spelling dictation method of LOE really seems to be doing the trick - it gives her a chance to think about how you apply the spelling rules, and it gives us a language to talk about spelling errors she makes in writing, or for me to help her with spelling words when she asks. We are doing one lesson a week (one day), using the Advanced spelling list. It doesn't take much time, and it really is helping a lot! If I were you, since I already have LOE, I would make it a priority to do regularly. Have you watched the videos on the website? The spelling dictation method that Denise demonstrates is really what has made the difference.

I don't have a suggestion but a comment. Spelling and reading are opposite sides of a coin, so to speak. Reading uses a completely different knowledge set. We put them together and think, "oh, but she is such a good reader, why can't she spell?????" I got caught n that one. My counselor let me know that, just like reading, spelling is a skill that kicks in when the brain is ready and developed in that area. You cannot force that issue. What you can do is what you are doing: teaching and reinforcing.

Encoding is a skill - it's turning reading backwards in a way so for some kids it takes a while to catch on. My struggling speller now gets 100% on nearly all her spelling tests. It just took time .

We have the same issue, and I'm doing LOE - just the spelling - with my 10 yo to address it. It is really helping. The spelling dictation method of LOE really seems to be doing the trick - it gives her a chance to think about how you apply the spelling rules, and it gives us a language to talk about spelling errors she makes in writing, or for me to help her with spelling words when she asks. We are doing one lesson a week (one day), using the Advanced spelling list. It doesn't take much time, and it really is helping a lot! If I were you, since I already have LOE, I would make it a priority to do regularly. Have you watched the videos on the website? The spelling dictation method that Denise demonstrates is really what has made the difference.

Thank you. I haven't looked at her site but plan to. I think I am going to finish the year with LOE and put her in R&S in the fall. We are on lesson 10 in LOE, I just need to get my act together!