Menu

Vocabulary program

Mommy22alyns

I'm looking for something that is not roots-based; we'll be covering roots next year. Something fairly inexpensive that we could complete in half a year. She reads very well but we keep coming across words she doesn't know or hasn't encountered yet, and we're almost done with her reading program, so I was thinking of giving her some vocab work when that's done.

ETA: This is for my 9yo 4th grader.

I'm looking for something that is not roots-based; we'll be covering roots next year. Something fairly inexpensive that we could complete in half a year. She reads very well but we keep coming across words she doesn't know or hasn't encountered yet, and we're almost done with her reading program, so I was thinking of giving her some vocab work when that's done.

ETA: This is for my 9yo 4th grader.

Have you tried "Worldy Wise 3000" books? Not the older ones...I've heard really great things about them and they're fun.

Not sure if this is too old, it says grades 3-6 but the rr description also says middle school. Inexpensive, has 88 lessons, and it's Garfield which means it would be loved in our house! I haven't used this, thinking of doing it in grade four or five.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/027640/1f784cbf2e1d55def27c9779

What a great opportunity to work with the words she is currently encountering, or did encounter, through the reading this year!

First, just give the definition as she reads -- getting vocab in context does half the work for you in helping students remember the words (contextual vocabulary acquisition). Then, go back through the reading she's done earlier in the year and find words she didn't know to compile a vocab. list. OR, compile whatever words she's encountering in free reading that are unknown.

Second, have her jot them them down, or come and tell you and you jot them down. When you have a list of 5 or 10 words, work with them. Here, here, here and here are some interesting ideas for studying and practicing vocabulary words.

More ideas to work with words from her reading:

Make a "word wall"

Post words with definitions on a bulletin board for a week; review them daily; at the end of the week, do an oral quiz. Missed words stay on the board for another week. Store the words in a file box, and bring them back every so often to review.

Games for practicing vocab from her reading:

- Hangman

- Wheel of Fortune

- Bingo (call out definition, cover up the matching word on the bingo card)

- Concentration (word on one index card, definition on another to make a match)

- Go Fish (again to make a match, if you have the definition you have to ask for the word, and vice versa)

- Use an crossword puzzle maker; the clues are the definitions

Less successful are vocabulary workbooks or introducing random vocabulary words with either no context to story/writing or to root meanings. But if you have a student who enjoys workbooks, that can work. Or, you can introduce random vocabulary words through online games:

http://www.myvocabulary.com

http://www.wordcentral.com/games.html

Less successful are vocabulary workbooks or introducing random vocabulary words with either no context to story/writing or to root meanings.

Yes, you are right about this. I am not up to date on the research, but I have read that the most effective method of teaching vocabulary is the way you described in your post above (through reading books and encountering new words as you go, and through real life experiences). Vocabulary is best learned in context where the nuances of the word meaning can be accurately appreciated and the word can be heard in its proper use.

Consequently, I believe that my kids have learned more vocabulary from watching Word Girl on PBS than through any of the vocabulary workbooks we have used.

Yes, you are right about this. I am not up to date on the research, but I have read that the most effective method of teaching vocabulary is the way you described in your post above (through reading books and encountering new words as you go, and through real life experiences). Vocabulary is best learned in context where the nuances of the word meaning can be accurately appreciated and the word can be heard in its proper use.

Consequently, I believe that my kids have learned more vocabulary from watching Word Girl on PBS than through any of the vocabulary workbooks we have used.

Yes! My DS also loves reading on Kindle, because whenever he comes across a new word, he can just touch on it and the definition pops up. Getting up off the couch to look up a new word in a dictionary, or even to google it, takes too long. With Kindle, it's effortless! I believe he's learning so many more new words this way.

Just to throw out another option:

http://www.perfectio...abu-lit-program

The program is called Vocabu-Lits... it is literature based. My son used it in his G/T program when he was in school, and we really liked it. If I were to do a non-roots program (We're doing MCT), I would probably use this.

I second Vocabu-Lit. We just started using it after the Christmas break and my DD is really learning the meanings of the words. I printed out a sample lesson before I bought them to see if it would work.