Menu

need more one dish salad ideas

busymama7

We love green salads around here. Almost every Sunday we do a big salad bar with all the toppings your could desire and everyone builds their own. It is our meal with homemade rolls. 1-2 times a month we have taco salad for dinner that is done all on one bowl and we just serve up individual portions. once a week or so I make up a side cesear salad to have with dinner with romaine, bacon pieces (if I have them), fresh parm cheese, croutons and dressing. I love it cause I can mix it all up and then we just take what we want. I have the proportions down for how much we'll eat and I have 3 teens who will finish up whatever is in the bowl. Everyone loves it.

My husband would like even more salads with dinner, but I dont like doing the salad bar more than once a week(too much work if Im also making an entree). I dont care for just lettuce and dressing or even just 1-2 veggies. If I gonna have salad, I want everything on it :) So that is why the cesear has been working so well. Yummy, quick and easy, everyone loves it and I can keep the ingredients on hand all the time. I realize I could make more of the salad bar toppings on sunday to carry us through the week, but I dont really want that. i want one bowl and done :)

I would love some more ideas for either one bowl side salads or one bowl meal salads(like the taco one).

Thanks!!

Greek salad (cukes, peppers, tomatoes, onion, feta, olives, etc.)

Bistro salad (hard boiled eggs, veggies, bacon, etc.)

Roasted veggie salad (beets or squash, veggies, nuts)

Chef salad (ham or turkey or roast beef, veggies, cheese)

I also do a lot of cole slaw mix based salads.

You could also add shrimp or chicken to your Caesar for more variety.

I am not sure this is what your asking for. My family loves it when I buy the blackened salmon from sam's club. I bake it and we add that salad. I do make all the salad in a bowl and we dish from there but the Salmon is not in the bowl...that way I can portion the fish out and everyone gets a good amount. My family really loves that meal with rolls........

I am craving that now...lol. Next trip to Sam's that will be on my list....yummy

Greek salad (cukes, peppers, tomatoes, onion, feta, olives, etc.)

Bistro salad (hard boiled eggs, veggies, bacon, etc.)

Roasted veggie salad (beets or squash, veggies, nuts)

Chef salad (ham or turkey or roast beef, veggies, cheese)

I also do a lot of cole slaw mix based salads.

You could also add shrimp or chicken to your Caesar for more variety.

What kind of dressing goes on the Greek or bistro?

I am not sure this is what your asking for. My family loves it when I buy the blackened salmon from sam's club. I bake it and we add that salad. I do make all the salad in a bowl and we dish from there but the Salmon is not in the bowl...that way I can portion the fish out and everyone gets a good amount. My family really loves that meal with rolls........

I am craving that now...lol. Next trip to Sam's that will be on my list....yummy

This sounds good although we're not much of fish people :(. Except my dh. He would be thrilled. What kind of salad? Is there dressing and veggies in the bowl and then you top it with the salmon? I could see the possibilities with this using chicken too. Thanks!

A main dish salad we like is what I call salsa-ranch chicken salad. I don't remember where I found it, and I know it had a different name that I also don't remember.

Make a regular salad with greens and whatever else you want. Avocado is good in this salad. Cook some chicken tenderloins with taco seasoning. I've also just seasoned leftover roast chicken with the taco seasoning - just heat it with a little water and the seasoning. Mix about 2 parts ranch dressing to 1 part salsa (that's a guess) to use as a dressing. Crunch corn chips over the top (you could also use those tortilla strips salad toppers, but we usually use Tostidos).

I realize this isn't much different than a taco salad, but the ranch gives it a tangy flavor and is a bit of a twist on a regular taco salad.

What kind of dressing goes on the Greek or bistro?

Here's a good one, although I don't use canola oil:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/ernies-greek-salad-recipe/index.html

Any good balsamic vinaigrette recipe you have would work nicely too.

Here's the recipe I use for my bistro salad:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bistro-dinner-salad-10000001185415/

A main dish salad we like is a mixture of black beans, chopped red and green pepper, canned corn, fresh cilantro, lemon juice. Chill before serving.

Yes, we like something similar. Sometimes I add rice, sometimes it's pretty much the same as above. Another one is lentils, ham, green pepper, fresh parsley and oil and vinegar. Serve this with crusty bread and be sure to sop up any extra oil and vinegar with the bread.

A main dish salad we like is what I call salsa-ranch chicken salad. I don't remember where I found it, and I know it had a different name that I also don't remember.

Make a regular salad with greens and whatever else you want. Avocado is good in this salad. Cook some chicken tenderloins with taco seasoning. I've also just seasoned leftover roast chicken with the taco seasoning - just heat it with a little water and the seasoning. Mix about 2 parts ranch dressing to 1 part salsa (that's a guess) to use as a dressing. Crunch corn chips over the top (you could also use those tortilla strips salad toppers, but we usually use Tostidos).

I realize this isn't much different than a taco salad, but the ranch gives it a tangy flavor and is a bit of a twist on a regular taco salad.

I like this! Thanks:)

I love spinach salads. I'll list a few of my favorites. Just top baby spinach with these things unless otherwise noted. A bit of roasted chicken or a piece of salmon are all you need to make a meal, but crusty bread wouldn't hurt as well!

Hot cooked bacon pieces with hard boiled eggs and a dressing made with a little of the bacon grease, dijon, and red wine vinegar. Here's a version of it.

Goat or feta cheese, crumbled, with candied walnuts and roasted beets. I top it with a shallot white wine vinegar vinaigrette.

Diced white cheddar, celery, pears, and walnuts with a dijon vinaigrette.

Use your imagination! There are endless versions of this salad. Fresh sliced strawberries, blue cheese, and almonds are yummy in the summer.

My friends made me an awesome salad that I've been repeating for a year. It has:

Spinach

Avocado

Strawberry

Bacon (optional)

They dress it with an olive oil, vinegar, and honey dressing. It's amazing and easy

I also like to top salads with steak, salmon, or chicken to make them into meals.

I almost forgot one of my favorites: Cobb Salad.

Top spinach or romaine with diced cooked chicken, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, olives, crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs. Top with roquefort dressing, a vinaigrette, or whatever strikes your fancy. You can even layer the ingredients over the greens like this.

We usually put a balsamic vinaigrette on Greek salad.

We do bleu cheese, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette a lot (DH likes balsamic).

Our grocery store carries lettuce mixes that have suggestions on them (goes well with "X meat, Y and Z veggies") and a recipe for a dressing. I've gotten a lot of great ideas from those.