Menu

Canterbury Tales for elementary?

Does anyone have a version they can recommend -- we're in second grade right now, with a toddler, so heavily-illustrated is a Big Plus around here.

If others are interested in elementary versions of classic stories (I want early exposure to Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare, King Arthur tales, &c just to get the story lines in their heads -- we aren't doing a generalized reading of abridged literature) we all really enjoyed

Coville's Midsummer Night's Dream,

Beowulf first via Morpurgo

Beowulf revisited with Rumford, who uses Old English words as much as possible in this beautifully illustrated version;

Arthurian Legends: Gerald Morris' The Squire's Tale begins a series of well-written (DH loves hearing the stories!) versions that are chapter, not picture books. The tot doesn't like them at all but Button has gotten hooked.

We read and loved this version this fall:

http://www.amazon.com/Chancers-Canterbury-Retold-Illustrated-Williams/dp/0763631973/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358283207&sr=8-7&keywords=illustrated+canterbury+tales

She has a Shakespeare book also done in a graphic novel/comic strip format. I have it on hold at the library, but haven't actually laid eyes on it yet. My 8 year old ADORED the Canterbury Tales when presented this way. We've since listened to some audios and they were much more accessible to her after having an inkling to the storyline.

We have and adore the Golden Book special edition. http://www.amazon.com/The-Canterbury-Tales-Geoffrey-Chaucer/dp/B000H8DOGM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t The illustrator is one of my favorites and the language is strong. It is a large book, about 8x10, with 139 pages.

ETA: The Arabian Nights and King Arthur from the same series are also wonderful.

Thanks, y'all! :) :) :)

Stephanie, that comic-strip style version by Marcia Williams is the only one we have -- it does seem wonderful, but Button isn't really familiar with (or interested in) comic-style books and so I think he'd have more fun reading it when we come back to this in Logic stage. I'm thinking getting him Tintin, at the recommendation of the Timberdoodle folks who say 2nd grade boys adore Tintin, to make him comfortable with the comic format.

Kalmia, the McCaughrean version is clearly a terrific chapter-book version; I'm deciding btw. this and the Golden Books retelling that Alte Veste rec'd. And, Alte Veste, thanks especially for the note to look at their King Arthur and Arabian Nights -- I'd not yet found an illustrated book for either of those.

I'll list all of these together:

The Golden Press version is beautifully illustrated, and 139 pages. It is out of print. The Amazon review notes it for the lyrical language.

The Geraldine McCaughrean version from Oxford Illustrated Classics is (obviously!) also illustrated, also OOP, is about 128 pages, and sports a nice recommendation from the Horn Guide.

From further down this thread (just keep reading!) is a version by Cohen & edited by Hyman, which has excellent critical reviews, is rec'd for children age 6 and up, comes in at 108 pages with really lovely pictures, and has an audio CD edition to boot.

Marcia Williamshas done a picture book version in a very elegant comic format.

And for thread-browsers, a note that Canterbury Tales is a bawdy book meant to be scathingly funny. The versions cleaned up for children will prob. include some potty humor (bare bottoms in the comic case) that is an accurate reflection of the original tone, sanitized for young ones.

And for thread-browsers, a note that Canterbury Tales is a bawdy book meant to be scathingly funny. The versions cleaned up for children will prob. include some potty humor (bare bottoms in the comic case) that is an accurate reflection of the original tone, sanitized for young ones.

When this thread first popped up, I scanned the titles on Amazon with exactly that thought in mind. I was trying to figure out how on earth you make these into stories suitable for children.