Menu

Anyone here had a vbac after 2 c sections?

mommyx4

I'm contemplating doing this, but I'm very scared now. I would have to change doctors because the doctor I've been seeing refuses to do it and scared me and my husband to death. He said he couldn't live with himself if I had a unterine rupture and the baby or myself died or if the baby lived there would be major complications, like brain damage and cerebal palsy...

Do you have input about it?

I had 3VA2Cs. Great, great experiences. Can't say enough good stuff about natural childbirth. My midwife was very supportive. I had them in the hospital, only intervention required was the hep lock in case I needed emergency care. Very, very minor inconvenience, IMO. For the last one, I was required by the hospital to meet with a high-risk OB once, so she could evaluate my risk levels and apprise me of them. It was basically a formality. She knew I was going to do it, and I knew what she'd say. It was fine. What specific questions do you have?

I had a vbac after one c-section - it was great! No problems at all. I did have to be monitored fairly closely when I went over my due date, but that was okay. I do recommend having a vbac in the hospital, because there is a higher risk of complications. Also, the type of inciision you had with your previous c-sections will affect your risk factor.

Anne

I had 3 vbacs. One of those was an induced labor and I don't think they allow that anymore. I only had 1 c section and it was for a breech baby, but if you can find a safe way to have a vbac, I highly recommend it. My natural births were so much better and breeze to recover from compared to my c section.

I found a doctor that would do it(they are over an hour away from where I live). I had my first csection 11 yrs ago(twins-baby b was breech) and my second csection was 19 months ago. With the second, we tried for a vbac, but my water broke at 36weeks and I sat in the hospital for 3 days trying to go into labor. Nothing happened and then they decided(after 3 days) to do an ultrasound. Turned out the baby was breech and had no fluid left so I had another csection. I'm just scared if I have another csection, I won't be able to have any more children.

I'm contemplating doing this, but I'm very scared now. I would have to change doctors because the doctor I've been seeing refuses to do it and scared me and my husband to death. He said he couldn't live with himself if I had a unterine rupture and the baby or myself died or if the baby lived there would be major complications, like brain damage and cerebal palsy... Do you have input about it?

I have several friends that have had successful vbac births. Many after 1 c/s, a few after 2 and 1 after 3. Finding a good midwife will make all the difference.[

I found a doctor that would do it(they are over an hour away from where I live). I had my first csection 11 yrs ago(twins-baby b was breech) and my second csection was 19 months ago. With the second, we tried for a vbac, but my water broke at 36weeks and I sat in the hospital for 3 days trying to go into labor. Nothing happened and then they decided(after 3 days) to do an ultrasound. Turned out the baby was breech and had no fluid left so I had another csection. I'm just scared if I have another csection, I won't be able to have any more children.

Many women have had more than three c/s. I know several women that have had 4-5, an online friend hs had 6 and is expecting again. Research, find a good midwife, and don't allow yourself to be bullied. <<hugs>>

I've had 3 VBA2C's and hope to have a 4th one in a couple of weeks. They have all been been completely natural as I'm a bit leery about too much unnecessary medical intervention (which in my case I feel is the reason I had the c-sections to begin with). I also have found that being on hands and knees is the best position for me and that doesn't work with an epidural. I would strongly encourage talking to a doula, Mine really helped me with positioning baby before I went into labor so that when they time came, my labor progressed very nicely because baby was in a good position (both my c-sections were ultimately a result of bad positioning but the medical stuff such as epidural, made it pretty much impossible for me to get baby to move into a better position). And while I would like a midwife, around here, none of them will even see me because of the c-sections. I can't even see a family practice doctor. I have to have an OB assigned to my case (I see a nurse practitioner and an OB on alternate visits) I don't know if this is state law or local policies but every insurance/doctor/hospital I have been at since my c-sections has told me the same thing.

I have had 2 c-sections, but haven't had a third pregnancy. Just wanted to add my ob told me having a 2nd c-section was not a problem if I chose to have more children, even if I would be a repeat c-section. I told her I wanted at least 4 and up to 8. She was at a fertility treatment and high risk pregnancy office and had a great reputation.

I'm just scared if I have another csection, I won't be able to have any more children.

Many women have had more than three c/s. I know several women that have had 4-5, an online friend hs had 6 and is expecting again. Research, find a good midwife, and don't allow yourself to be bullied. <<hugs>>

I just wanted to agree with this. I had 6 c-sections. Not to discourage you from seeking a vbac. Just letting you know my experience.

Joy

I had 5 c-sections. All for different reasons. My twins were born in a most extreme circumstance, so it was a vertical incision both externally and internally, which pretty much leaves me with no other options should I conceive again. Even so, more than one very qualified obstetrician has told me that, at this point, there is no indication that I couldn't have 2 or 3 or more. I don't think, at my age, I would require that many more, but I was just sharing that it is quite possible to have many more if necessary. That being said, I truly wish you the birth of your dreams and a happy, healthy mama and baby!

I had twins first, like you, baby B was breech. Tried for VBAC with ds1, fetal distress and failure to progress, ending in 2nd csection. After that, I saw a midwife, and she helped me through my three subsequent natural, drug free births. There's no reason not to have a baby b/c of 2sections, whether or not you try for VBACs. :grouphug: I'd go for the VBAC, though, in a heartbeat, if there were no known maternal or fetal issues. Natural birth is infinitely better, IME. Best to you as you decide.

I had a VBAC after 1 csection. I think in your case I would want to know what your doctor is concerned about. Was there ever a vertical incision? Are there are other risk factors? If there is nothing unusual about your case, you might get a second opinion from another doctor. My doctor said I was a good candidate for a VBAC, but I did have to have extra monitoring and there had to be an anesthesiologist available just in case.

After each c-section, the risk of rupture and other problems becomes much higher. I would not do it after 3 c-sections and even 2 is riskier than a VBAC after 1 c-section. The risk is also unique to your own medical history, meaning just because someone else successfully head a VBAC after x number of c-sections, doesn't mean it will go the same way for you. Conversely, just because someone was determined to be a high risk after x number of c-sections, doesn't mean a VBAC won't work for you. It is a procedure that you don't know if it will work or not until after it is done.

You need to weigh the risks and check if your insurance/hospital will allow it. The hospital has to have the resources free if there is a problem (which is why they may not allow it, in addition to the liability issue) and, if there is a problem with a VBAC, the problem can be life-threatening.

Just be aware that though rare, a uterine rupture CAN happen. We attempted a VBAC with my daughter after only one c section, highly encouraged by my OB who told me that I next to no chance of a uterine rupture, my risk factors were super low, etc. It DID happen to me, we are both fine, but I cannot have more children now.