Menu

Hummus help

Mama Geek

Haven't read other replies because I have to get, but a dear Arabic friend told us the "secret" to good hummus (that we don't often see in written recipes here) -- cumin. Once we started adding this, we really noticed a difference.

Have you tried more of everything? Store hummus can be bland, but when you make it you can add more tahini, garlic, lemon, and cumin for fuller flavor. Seriously, just triple the cumin in the recipe. Also, a pinch of cayenne powder is nice. I like to serve it with some diced tomatoes on top and a swirl of olive oil.

I once made a cilantro hummus for a St. Paddy's Day party and I still get requests for that. I did cilantro, a little lime, and some coriander powder.

Roasted red bell peppers puréed in your hummus is really good. You can do pesto or avacado, or sundried tomatoes, or kalamata olives. Whatever YOU like. If you're not sure, experiment with a quarter cup and work from there.

Finally, if you're using canned chickpeas, try cooking them from dry instead. I think it makes a big difference. Fresh parsley will also give you better flavor, as will a little lemon or lime zest. Though, honestly, if I cheat on anything the fresh citrus is the first to go.

Things I found AFTER I typed the original list:

Curry powder

Feta

Pine nuts

Caramelized onions

THIS link with crazy suggestions: http://domesticfits.com/2012/10/29/brown-butter-sage-hummus-and-the-webs-top-ten-hummus-recipes/

Squid

make your own from scratch! I love Ina Garten's recipe. Also, never trust a recipe that only uses 1 clove of garlic (I am talking to you cook's illustrated).

I saw a recipe that insisted canned chickpeas were better. There was no cumin in this recipe. They will let just ANYONE post on the Internet.

I looked for the stuff to make it today at the grocery store and didn't find it, so I bought premade humus. Next time I am out somewhere else shopping I will look some more.

On the other hand I made some pretty good mashed cauliflower tonight. I've never had it and really am not much of a cauliflower eater, but it turned out good.

I saw a recipe that insisted canned chickpeas were better. There was no cumin in this recipe. They will let just ANYONE post on the Internet.

:lol:

I often use canned chickpeas! And no tahini!

Here's a quick and healthy hummus recipe I use:

1 15oz can chickpeas (reserve 1 Tablespoon liquid, rinse and drain)

1/3 cup yogurt

3 Tablespoons lemon juice

1 Tablespoon dark sesame oil

2 medium cloves garlic pressed

3/4 teaspoon cumin

3/4 teaspoon salt

Run it through the blender or food processor to your desired consistency

Haven't read other replies because I have to get, but a dear Arabic friend told us the "secret" to good hummus (that we don't often see in written recipes here) -- cumin. Once we started adding this, we really noticed a difference.

I put cumin into mine all the time. And I like mine VERY lemony and extra Tahini and garlic. If you don't have Tahini on hand, sesame oil will work.