Melissa in Australia

64 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do?

• let other family members know so they can choose to keep their distance
    • tell the police
    • nothing, live and let live
    • other
    • look! another flying pig

I would not associate with this person again, unless there was repentance and change. I have known too many whose lives are ruined by drug use, including some who are dear to me. I would not be able to socialize with this person.

ETA--If I had real knowledge of the how/when/where on the actual drug dealing, I would most definitely report it. If there were any minor children still in the home I would most definitely report it.

I don't know how it works in Australia, but we've always had good police friends and when we've suspected drug activity we've always been told to report it and they will "watch" the house. If there are minors, then CPS might come out. The police have to have quite a bit of proof. They are more worried about dealers than users, in my experience.

Anyhow, I'm just saying that it might not do any good either way, especially if the kids are older. I'd just stay away if you are concerned.

ETA: I just saw you said dealer...you know this??

With my best imagination, I'd have to decide whether I saw that particular drug as "illegal but with the properties of a simple intoxicant" or "illegal and deeply dangerous" -- it would also depend how certian I was, how I got to be that certian, and whether I could legitimately substantiate my claim to a reasonable person (or prove it, but not nessisarily).

If I considered there to be significant harm (beyond simple addiction to a simple intoxicant), and if I had strong certainty and substantiation, I'd report it to the police.

Lacking that, I'd attempt to deal with the family by advising them to seek treatment and asking them not to betray extended family members by including their teens in these activities. I might attempt to gather 'proof' or assess damage. I'd try to make if an open conversation by not being harshly disapproving in my tone, but more 'curious' about it.

I'd also tell the patents of at-risk extended family members to keep their heads up on this issue among family, to ask questions and be cautious because I'm not at liberty to gossip, but they ought not to be quick to trust too much.

Define drugs. It matters.

:iagree: While not my idea of a healthy family dynamic, I knew a family that indulged in a particular herb regularly with their kids. They got some for their birthday etc. This family was extremely close and loving, we're talking really hippy-dippy, and I would never dream of reporting them to the police.

:iagree: While not my idea of a healthy family dynamic, I knew a family that indulged in a particular herb regularly with their kids. They got some for their birthday etc. This family was extremely close and loving, we're talking really hippy-dippy, and I would never dream of reporting them to the police.

Yeah, this is where I was going...

I would steer clear of the relatives, no matter what kind of drugs they were illegally using and providing to others (both are crimes). I would not risk being caught up in the net if I was with one of them when they got arrested. A person's mere presence in the company of criminals is not enough to convict them, but it can be a problem convincing the cops and the jury that one was merely present, especially when that is the first thing criminals tell the cops.

Say you are in the car with someone who has an illegal substance in the glove compartment, and you don't know anything about it. The driver is pulled over. The cops say, "Do you mind if we look in the car?". The driver gives permission (there are a lot of really dumb criminals), so the cop doesn't need a warrant, or to see drugs in plain sight, or a reason to tow the car so he can do an inventory search. Cop finds the drugs and everyone in the car is in trouble. Or the cop could search the car without the driver's consent, and say the driver consented. IOW, the cop could lie.

What? My pal or relative would never hide drugs in the car where the cops could find them! So even if drugs are there, I'm safe. Nope. Sorry. The cops know all the hiding places. If by chance they can't find drugs, but they "know" drugs are in the car, they'll call another cop to help -- Officer Friendly with his drug-sniffing dog. Officer Friendly just happens onto the scene (in actuality, the cop called him). You don't mind if our dog looks in your car, do you? Of course not, Officer! Bam! Gotcha!

The best case scenario is that the cops believe Innocent You, because you will talk to them, unless you watch and heed the video below. The next best is that your lawyer intervenes and you don't get arrested. If you do get arrested, your problems just got a lot worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

My friend or relative won't get pulled over, you say? Well, you would think that druggies would be extra careful to follow the traffic laws, but they aren't. Many of them get caught purely by chance. Their inspection sticker is expired, or they speed, or they run a pink light, or they don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Or another car hits theirs, the cop is suspicious of them ... asks to look in the car, they agree....

Whether or not DH or I reported them would depend on the circumstances. If the drug was just pot, probably not. Anything else, probably so. This, of course, assumes that we knew for sure what was going on, even if we didn't fully know the extent of it.

I would do nothing. The culture surrounding this activity is very dangerous, and I would not want to give anyone involved with it a reason to contact me or retaliate. It wouldn't just the the family member that could be dangerous - you'd be opening yourself and your family up to any others in their circle who feel it is their duty to protect the dealer, especially if they financially profit from them in some way. This community is more dangerous than most people even realize. Steer clear.

I have been in this situation and was given this advice and am very glad that I listened.

*ETA: I would tell close family members that would be of like mind.