Menu

Rescue me from Angry Birds! (need some learning games instead!)

Guest Xapis10

Guest Xapis10

My kids get to play Angry Birds on my husband's iPad maybe once a week, for less than half an hour. This is enough to make them talk about it non-stop! Ack - please tell me what games we can download (and then use without internet), which will entertain them without making minds numb! : D

Also, my oldest is getting to a stage of needing ideas of what to play a lot. What ideas do you give your boys? (new things to do with legos, cars, trucks, tools, etc) There should be a blog about this :) Is there one you know of?

Sorry, if your chickens have been up as long as mine with this latest cold weather, you are going to have angry birds and must rescue yourself.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

But the post made me giggle, because for Christmas a young cousin wanted "Angry Birds" and my two boys couldn't stop laughing. I know they were getting a visual of our big red rooster tearing around the hen yard in a hopping fury. :laugh:

I don't think I've ever had to suggest something new be done with old toys beyond sort and go to the thrift store. They usually find something to do with them, and it's nearly always something I never would have thought of. I sometimes feel that the very best way to spark creativity is to just get out of the way.

There are certainly some better logic/problem solving games out there than Angry Birds, (we love most of the games pp listed), but I am going to go the other direction and let you in on my sneaky school secret.

When my kids (at that age) become obsessed with something I turn it into an educational opportunity. With pre-K to grade 2 I use sensory tubs and c-rods for the majority of our math; if Angry Birds was the flavor of the month I would make an Angry Birds sensory tub and use it for math, fine motor skill practice, pre-reading skills, etc. Sister went through a stage where she was resistant to working on certain skill areas, but when I pulled out the sparkly princess sensory tub she was eager to get down to business.

We've made a live action Angry Birds game. We tied surgical tubing to chair legs and those little plush Angry Birds. Turn chair over and use as slingshot. Stack all the cardboard boxes lying around the house from Christmas, add some other stuffed animals to the tower of boxes, and attempt to slingshot the bird into the tower.