Menu

s/o of handwriting rant, How do you form a manuscript capital A

nukeswife

How we form a manuscript capital A  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How do you write your capital A when printing (using manuscript letters)

• starting at the top, pulling down to the left, jumping back to the top, pulling down to the right and then adding a crossbar from left to right
    • making a mountain by starting at the baseline, going up on an angle then slanting back down and adding a cross bar in the middle
    • other: please elaborate

I voted for the first option but then I got out a piece of paper and ...

I start at the top and draw a line down to the left, trace back up that line, down to the right, then I pick up my pencil and me the horizontal line across.

I make M the same, start at the top, then retrace the first line, then down, up, down.

I start at the top, pull down to the left and trace back up to do the other side from the top and make the crossbar from right to left. If I'm in a hurry, it can end up looking like I was trying to draw a star.

This for me, same for M, N, R, B, and P. I'm a lazy printer and my normal handwriting mixes manuscript and cursive.

I voted for the first option but then I got out a piece of paper and ...

I start at the top and draw a line down to the left, trace back up that line, down to the right, then I pick up my pencil and me the horizontal line across.

I make M the same, start at the top, then retrace the first line, then down, up, down.

Ohmygosh! I, too, voted for the first option. After reading your post, I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and ... I make my A like you described. (I start at the bottom for my Ms & Ns, though.

Start at the top, go straight down to the baseline, trace straight back up to the top, curve to the right, go down to the baseline, trace back up halfway and make a loop from right to left. Sounds more complicated than it is. Basically, if manuscript A and cursive A fell in love and had a baby, the result would be what I write :)

Ohmygosh! I, too, voted for the first option. After reading your post, I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and ... I make my A like you described. (I start at the bottom for my Ms & Ns, though.

A ha! So the results of this poll might be skewed if the peeps who re-trace their line are voting the first choice. ;)

A ha! So the results of this poll might be skewed if the peeps who re-trace their line are voting the first choice. ;)

Perhaps, but I think this comes from learning cursive and then your manuscript takes on a sort of hybrid version. I don't think many of us print or write in cursive exactly the way we were taught. The essence of starting at the top, sliding down to the left, returning to the top and sliding to the right is still there though.

Cool thing is, with this new forum site, we can "delete my vote" and then vote again for the proper (Other) choice. :cheers2:

If I'm writing slowly and carefully, I start at the top and pick up my pencil to go back to the top. If I'm writing fast, like I usually do, I start at the top and retrace as mentioned above, doing the entire thing in one motion. That is not a proper manuscript formation though. That's a hybrid manuscript/cursive formation. :)

The *correct* way is supposed to be: start at the top, draw a line down. Start back at the top, draw a line down the other way...

It annoys me, though - manuscript letters are typically taught "start at the top", even though it seems very natural to start at the bottom. Then, when you reach cursive, most of the letters start at the bottom. I'm not sure why that is. I think it would lend itself naturally to cursive if manuscript letters start at the bottom:) All those years (and tears) over making my handwriting-resistant dd start at the top for printing, and then switching her to starting at the bottom for cursive - it was more hassle than it was worth!

FWIW, I think I was taught to start at the top, but I voted start at the bottom for my letter A. It's faster and easier to do, and less pencil pick-ups to achieve a fine looking A:)

I mix between Manuscript and cursive, so 9 out of ten times I use cursive for my capital A. When I am working on handwriting with my dd, I usually start at bottom and make the mountain then crossbar. It just helped ds when we transitioned to cursive. My ds has such terrible handwriting, I'm just thankful when it's legible. Even if it is a cross between cursive and mauscript;especially due to laziness. :glare: My dd just loves writing and drawing, so we've not had problems with her penmanship and she prefers to start at bottom for easier flow of writing. :laugh: