Menu

Is It Bedtime Yet?!

Impish

Mine are unconscious. Holden was trying to go to bed at 5:45, until I got on the NORAD website to PROVE Santa was still in Europe. Then he started wigging out when it showed him approaching the Atlantic. Lol. They're unconscious.

I have three more gifts to wrap, then it is off to bed for the grownups.

We always attend late church on Christmas Eve. Nothing like sitting thru an hour and a half of candlelight service to make kids sleepy!

Yep.

Our tradition has always been to go to church on Christmas eve, then socialize a bit after the service. Once we're done there, we hop in the car and drive around looking at the lights and decorations in one nearby neighborhood where the folks do especially nice displays. When we get home, anyone who wants one grabs a quick snack. The kids then open their Christmas eve gift, which is always a pair of personalized pajamas. We read through the whole story on our Muppet advent calendar, and they go to bed.

Now that they are teens, the "go to bed" part is a bit more flexible. But they do retire to their rooms once we've gone through the regular routine. The church service usually starts at either 7:00 or 7:30. For the last several years, both of them have sung for the service, meaning they have to be at church early to warm up and rehearse. So, the church-socializing-lights-new PJs series of events carries us through nicely from about 6:00 until 10:00/10:30/bedtime.

Having grown up without a lot of family traditions and really hating that, I insisted from the beginning that we create some of our own for our kids. I've been really surprised and touched at how important even the small stuff has been to our kids.