Menu

How do you expect the news to be spread when you're pregnant?

kokotg

Pregnancy announcements  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How does news spread when you're pregnant?

• I call everyone (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins) and tell them
    • I call a few key people (parents, maybe siblings) and word gets around
    • My family is so internet/other networking savvy that I can make an announcement in some central location and everyone sees it
    • Other

I'm just curious. I won't tell the whole story until after the poll's been up for a bit, but I think my extended family behaves a little.....oddly in this respect. I'm wondering whether I'm right or whether I'M the odd one. First attempt at a poll on the new boards...we'll see what happens!

I think i've always told parents on both sides, and emailed my siblings. Beyond that, it spreads on its own. We do make sure we tell my inlaws before announcing it at church, because if DH's grandparents hear through the grapevine that is the various people in both congregations, we'll be in trouble! So we usually tell MIL, then she calls her mother. After that, we're safe to announce at church.

Well, I got two in one shot, so I only had to do it once. But in general, I think you call the close relatives and let them share the news with other family, then you call your close friends and let them share it with others, then you tell the people you see routinely who would be interested like co-workers, then you put it on Facebook and assume everyone knows.

We've told our parents and they usually pass it along to the siblings. Then we also told close friends and they pass it along to acquaintances.

The only time this was an issue was when I had a close friend struggling with infertility. She was happy for others but liked to be one of the first to hear the news (if it was someone she considered a close friend) so she could process it. If a friend didn't directly tell her the news she had a harder time with her feelings. Though the pregnant friend might be trying to spare this friend's feelings it actually worked the other way with her and hurt her more.

So, what happened?

Oh, nothing big. I've just been scolded by more than one member of my extended family during this pregnancy for not telling them I was pregnant (and apparently my Dad and stepmom did such a bad job spreading the news that some people didn't find out until quite late in my pregnancy). I really can't imagine my phone averse self calling up relative after relative to announce the news, and I didn't think many people WOULD do that. In general, I think this side of the family has exceptionally poor communication skills (not to excuse myself...I'm pretty complicit in the poor communication....but in this case I don't think I'm the one who dropped the ball).

I told my mother (and since I was 43, it was a bit of a surprise) and gave her the joy of telling everyone else. She was in her 80s and it was a HOOT for her. She'd call a sib and tell him he was going to be an uncle again. Hummmm, was a 60s sister adopting? Nope. Was my 60s brother adopting? Nope. Had so and so knocked someone up? Nope. Did so and so have a new, young wife? Nope. Not one person guessed me. It was great fun for her.

I despised any sort of big 'announcement' when I was pregnant.

So we never really told anyone. DH and I might each mention it to our parents, but other than that... I was all for others just hearing it through the grapevine.

Ugh. The thought of me telling everyone myself - either on the phone, in person, or on the internet - whatever! - makes me cringe.