Menu

2013 Book Club title suggestion thread

For those interested in the 2013 book club discussed in the previous thread, this is the place to list your top 3-5 picks for the final book list.

Crime and Punishment

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think

I also would be interested in a compare/contrast of:

"Bringing up Bebe" and "The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother"

Or

"Why Nations Fail" and "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

Your turn!

I had Quiet listed on other thread. Also, Last Child in the Woods, I would like to read. I have Guns, Germs and Steel on my shelf, which I haven't read yet. I'll list mine out then:

Quiet

Guns, Germs and Steel

Last Child in the Woods

Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man

The Sandcastle Girls

For those interested in the 2013 book club discussed in the previous thread, this is the place to list your top 3-5 picks for the final book list.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

"The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother"

These are all some things that I have been eyeing.

I also would be interested in a compare/contrast of: "Bringing up Bebe" and "The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" Or "Why Nations Fail" and "Guns, Germs, and Steel" Your turn!

Oh I like both of those. Quiet looks good too.

Crime and Punishment sounds good. I read it in high school, but would love to read it again as an adult and discuss it. The Hobbit Lord of the Rings trilogy

It would be fun to re-read those!

I had Quiet listed on other thread. Also, Last Child in the Woods, I would like to read. I have Guns, Germs and Steel on my shelf, which I haven't read yet. I'll list mine out then: Quiet Guns, Germs and Steel Last Child in the Woods Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man The Sandcastle Girls

Last Child in the Woods is one I've been wanting to get around to for years! I own Guns, Germs and Steel but haven't read it yet either.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking The Night Circus Kisses From Katie The God of Driving Tales of a Female Nomad Committed

Tales of a Female Nomad is a great one! I read it some random college course.

Ahhh... just saw this thread.

Here are some of my fiction top picks:

The Secret History - a book about a private college and a murder mystery without the whodunit aspect

The Kite Runner (probably a lot of you have already read this one, but I haven't yet!)

The Cider House Rules - I've read two other John Irving books and they are great for discussion.

And a non fiction pick:

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. I read his "Short History of Nearly Everything" and it was a great, informative, funny read.

I haven't read

The Kite Runner

or

The Cider House Rules.

I would love an excuse to read either one.

Cider House Rules is 592 pages. If we choose a book that is more than 400 pages, can we amend the number of weeks to read it? I'm not sure that I could manage more than 100 pages/week, even in a good week.