Menu

Have you done a good deed today?

Live2Ride

Being the holiday season and the stress that seems to abound...I often try to remember to do good things for others. Be it strangers, family, friends, etc. I get such joy out of it and it helps me lessen my thoughts on my own troubles.

We need not list them unless you want to...I just wanted to possibly hear some uplifting stories. :)

I am the music chorister for our ward church. There is a song we sometimes sing and it goes:

Have I done any good in the world today

Have I helped anyone in need?

Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?

If not, I have failed indeed.

Has anyone's burden been lighter today

Because I was willing to share?

Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?

When they needed my help was I there?

(Chorus)

Then wake up and do something more

Than dream of your mansion above.

Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now.

Opportunities right in our way.

Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,

"But go and do something today.

'Tis noble of man to work and to give; Love's labor has merit alone.

Only he who does something helps others to live.

To God each good work will be known.

My good deed. I sold my two trailers in the last two weeks to be able to purchase a new slant load. I had discussed with DH on what I should sell them for and we settled on a lowest prices I'd take. I sold the first one quickly and the couple were so sweet and had been looking for a pony for the grandbabies. I told them if they bought the trailer (which they wanted it), I give them our older pony for the grandkids and that when they outgrew him, if he was still around, they could bring him back to retire here. I sent the pony and his gear with them and plan to visit them soon.

Then a little old man arrived with his friend in tow to look at the second one, we chatted for a while and he was so sweet. He looked around a bit at it and when he asked for my lowest price, out popped a number that was a bit less than what DH and I agree upon. The little old man seemed relieved and said that it could be done :) I couldn't believe it, but I know I was meant to do that.

Come to find out, little old man was gifting his trailer to his friend and his friend was gifting his to another friend. They were all helping each other. Then little old man turned and offered me a mare if I'd like to try her out for a few months, after hearing me discuss needing another safe kids horse...if I liked her he'd take payments, if not, I could bring her back. I was quite pleased and excited that he thought highly of the care I gave my horses that he felt comfortable offering her to me. She even drives and I've always wanted a driving horse!

One good turn starts another :)

What I did:

Moved my car from the last spot in the library parking lot when I saw an old lady pull in. I told her to take my spot and parked on the street.

What was done for me:

I went to the grocery store to get marked down bakery rolls. They hadn't marked them down yet (from 3.99 to .99...so a big fat hairy savings!) but when I asked the bakery lady what time the mark down began, she printed me out a .99 label and told me to fill my bag. How nice!

Made a sour cream coffee cake and an apple cinnamon coffee cake for all the moms attending our co-op setup meeting tomorrow morning. Also made 2 loaves of banana bread for my family. Why is this a good deed? Because I have a migraine.

I also didn't make my kids clean today. That, in the eyes of my dc, qualifies as the ultimate in good deeds. :D

THe first day of Advent, we pick a Christchild (names in a hat). This is the person we will be especially kind to, doing some small gift of love each day. Everytime they do, they take a piece of straw out of a container and place it in the creche to make a soft place for the Baby Jesus with our acts of love.