Menu

electronics for toddlers- what to get

plain jane

The kids are all getting some electronic gizmo this year. They are all different and will share them between them. They're mostly going to be use in the car and when we have to wait around and we will/do set limits.

We are getting a DS XL 3d, regular DS 3D, 7" galaxy tab and an iPad but only 16GB.

I want to get something for the 18 mos old who will want to have "some"thing to play with. Obviously I don't want anything too fragile but I want something that will hold attention and not be too difficult to use. We have a Leapster but my little one is too young for that.

Are there any electronic gizmos that an 18mos old can use?

I know this is ridiculous to ask. I doubt they will play with it much but when the other kids have their stuff out I want to avoid the temper tantrums. This one very much wants to be a "part of the crowd" and not be left out.

I'm thinking something by LeapFrog?

I love music blocks!

If I had an 18 month old, I'd get him an iPad. We have yet to break one, so I don't consider them fragile.

My LO does use my iPad but lacks impulse control. LOL. There have been a few instances of the iPad (just about) being thrown across the room. Good thing I was nearby each time and stopped it from actually happening. I need something a little more kid friendly for this one. LOL

My LO does use my iPad but lacks impulse control. LOL. There have been a few instances of the iPad (just about) being thrown across the room. Good thing I was nearby each time and stopped it from actually happening. I need something a little more kid friendly for this one. LOL

iTouch with a really good case?

I would look for one of those felt busy books on etsy or something like that.

Electronic gadgets are fun but I don't know if an eighteen month old could use one well enough for it to hold their attention very long. They would constantly be yelling for others to help them access one thing or another.

There are those little leapfrog handhelds that one can play games but I am not sure an eighteen month old could do it. Maybe check it out at the store?

iTouch with a really good case?

LOL. I like the idea but I'm laughing at the idea of spending so much on my 18mos old. We are blessed to buy more expensive gifts this Christmas but I'm not sure this is the most efficient use of funds. LOL Plus, I think my older kids might be jealous. ;)

My DS loved the LeapFrog My Own Leaptop at that age. It has letter sounds, music, and a game of guessing the animal. You can connect it to the Internet to change the settings so it will say/spell/sing your child's name. You can also customize which songs it plays and pick some "email" messages addressed from Nana/Mom/Dad, etc. that it will read aloud. DS loved hearing these messages addressed to him.