Menu

Quality colored pencils? Or quality sharpener?

We have gone from Crayola (barf) to Pentel this year and are still not happy. I simply cannot sharpen these things. The lead breaks all the time. I know SWB recommended some...do you have a favorite brand?

Or could it be my crappy pencil sharpener that breaks off the tip EACH and EVERY time?!?!

Can you tell I'm ready for Christmas break? :drool:

I use this one and, while we still sometimes have issues, my kids use the colored pencils again. Before this sharpener the breaks were so frequent they just didn't use them. We have Crayola so not even nice colored pencils. I use them on my watercolor pencils (nicer) too and have great results.

I got it because the Amazon reviews led me to believe we'd have better luck with breakage. That has definitely been true.

We use whatever colored pencils we end up with: Crayola, Crazy Art, and some other inexpensive ones. We have a really old (like at least 20 years?) electric pencil sharpener that we use and never have issues with the tips breaking. And my kids are 4.5 and 2.5, and not exactly careful with them. So my guess is you need a better sharpener :)

We use whatever colored pencils we end up with: Crayola, Crazy Art, and some other inexpensive ones. We have a really old (like at least 20 years?) electric pencil sharpener that we use and never have issues with the tips breaking. And my kids are 4.5 and 2.5, and not exactly careful with them. So my guess is you need a better sharpener :)

We also have an old electric sharpener (no longer on the Staples site). We don't have a breakage problem.

That said, we are not obsessive sharpeners.

As a child, we sharpened pencils with a knife. You start at the non-point end and kind of scoop into the wood and flare out straight at the point. You do it all around the pencil. If the pencil is hexagonal, you orient it so you cut into the edges rather than the flat faces. Something to consider. There's a video with a slightly different technique

This page has tons of advice. Two things I've used - 1) try an eyeliner pencil sharpener, and 2) try one of those sandpaper paddle things that draftsmen use.

UPDATE! Yes, it was the sharpener. I had three new but cheap ones and all failed miserably. I went to Hobby Lobby and got a nice artist-quality sharpener for 4 or 5 bucks and it took care of the problem! I love colored pencils so much more than crayons, so I'm very pleased.

Thanks so much for the advice on how to sharpen my pencils! [insert joke about not being the sharpest pencil in the box here] :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have these Lyra pencils and haven't had any problems with them. The girls use them almost exclusively for any type of coloring that they do.

51PgSCbapFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We use this sharpener for both colored and regular pencils. It has worked very well for us. :)

http://www.staples.c.../product_356332

This is what ds 8 uses too. We've both been very pleased. We have an occasional break, maybe one pencil every week or two, but I expect that, they're pencils. He uses them everyday. We use either the sharpener that came with them or a metal Prismacolor one. My oldest uses Prismacolor exclusively and rarely has a break.