Menu

Need Perspective - or am I too stubborn for my own good?

Karen in CO

Okay so here is the important information. I get horrible migraines that last about 3 days. One of my migraine triggers is soy which includes soy sauce that gets in the air from cooking (so if you can smell soy sauce, it will give me a migraine). Recently, my migraines have also started triggering uncontrollable vomiting (gross, but an important fact) that doesn't stop with out a trip to the doctor or hospital for a large shot of something.

Now my problem.

My son just finished his last semester of college in a university in Tokyo. He will graduate in May. I have planned for the last FOUR years to take a long trip to Japan so that he can show us around, and we can watch the graduation. We're pretty sure that we can pack me food, and he can cook for me while I'm there so I don't have to worry about food. The problem is that many restaurants vent their delicious smells (like all restraurants do). Here, I avoid strip malls with Asian restaurants and malls. In Tokyo, we'd take the train and do a lot of walking. After my last migraine and the uncomfortable double shot, I finally realized, I just might not be able to finagle my way through Tokyo without inhaling soy.

I'm pretty sure I can continue to manage the migraines and enjoy my trip if it weren't for the new vomiting feature. Is there something effective I can use when I can't even swallow that travels well? Anybody think it might be possible to avoid breathing soy in Tokyo and not be too limited? Am I just fooling myself and need to admit defeat and start getting used to the idea of missing the graduation? Is there something awesome for migraines that I haven't tried (I've been through a couple of heal you headache books, changed my diet, found my triggers, tried acupuncture, changed medicines about 10 times, tried a chiropractor and massage and take daily topomax, and tried various vitamin supplements)?

Thanks

Okay so here is the important information. I get horrible migraines that last about 3 days. One of my migraine triggers is soy which includes soy sauce that gets in the air from cooking (so if you can smell soy sauce, it will give me a migraine). Recently, my migraines have also started triggering uncontrollable vomiting (gross, but an important fact) that doesn't stop with out a trip to the doctor or hospital for a large shot of something.

Now my problem.

My son just finished his last semester of college in a university in Tokyo. He will graduate in May. I have planned for the last FOUR years to take a long trip to Japan so that he can show us around, and we can watch the graduation. We're pretty sure that we can pack me food, and he can cook for me while I'm there so I don't have to worry about food. The problem is that many restaurants vent their delicious smells (like all restraurants do). Here, I avoid strip malls with Asian restaurants and malls. In Tokyo, we'd take the train and do a lot of walking. After my last migraine and the uncomfortable double shot, I finally realized, I just might not be able to finagle my way through Tokyo without inhaling soy.

I'm pretty sure I can continue to manage the migraines and enjoy my trip if it weren't for the new vomiting feature. Is there something effective I can use when I can't even swallow that travels well? Anybody think it might be possible to avoid breathing soy in Tokyo and not be too limited? Am I just fooling myself and need to admit defeat and start getting used to the idea of missing the graduation? Is there something awesome for migraines that I haven't tried (I've been through a couple of heal you headache books, changed my diet, found my triggers, tried acupuncture, changed medicines about 10 times, tried a chiropractor and massage and take daily topomax, and tried various vitamin supplements)?

Thanks

there is a nasea medication that is a soft melt that you dont have to swallow, and also suppositories.

In addition to meds etc., would wearing a mask help? I don't think anyone would think twice if you walked around with a mask over your mouth and nose.

Yes, they will just think you have a cold. You'll see lots of people walking around with masks.

As far as walking around Tokyo, if your son knows the streets very well, then you probably could avoid restaurant areas pretty well. But the problem is that you're probably going to encounter it at the train stations. Most, if not all train stations have ramen shops (with soy broth) right outside.