Menu

Books for 12 year old girls

Amethyst

I'm looking for gift ideas for my 12 year old daughter. I try to give all the kids a book for Christmas. I've got ones for the 3 older kids, but 12 year old has me stumped this year. She loved Harry Potter, but has been through those tons of times. She does not necessarily only like fantasy though. In fact, I think everything else pales compared to Harry, in her mind. She also does not like historical fiction. So I guess I'm looking for contemporary fiction, but nothing real heavy. Any suggestions?

We have some of the Artemis Fowl books at home and she has never been interested in them. I'll check out the Charlie Bones and Airman books. She has already read Hollis Woods. I got the Goose Girl out of the library for her and she was not at all interested after reading a tiny bit. She has already devoured the Hunger Games series. As far as the Flavia de Luce book, she has told me that she absolutely hates mysteries. Suspense, a la City of Ember, is great, but not mysteries.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I don't mean to sound negative. Just hoping that if I give feedback to the suggestions, you might be able to help me come up with something that will work for her. :tongue_smilie:

The Books of Bayern series? I think the first is the Goose Girl.

Yes! Anything by Shannon Hale is a fave here, particularly by my Harry Potter loving (now older) teen. lol

She loves the books by Blue Balliet, too: Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, The Calder Game

The Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson

Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix (Starting with Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday...)

I second The Hunger Games. My 11 year old just finished reading it. She got so into it that she read it within 24 hours, and then we watched the movie together. You should pre-read it first, but it's an excellent series if she's not too sensitive. It's inspired a lot of discussion on various important subjects between us.

You might consider Un Lun Dun by China Mieville, The Golden Compass, books by Tamora Pierce, or the Wren books by Sherwood Smith. All of these were favorites of my teen daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I'd second those, especially the Tamora Pierce. I know you said fantasy is iffy, but many girls really, really take to these, especially at that age. Start with either Sandry's Book or Alanna or First Test - those are each the titles of first books in various series of hers (she has like 8 different series).

I'll also suggest Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. It has some things in common with The Hunger Games - female protagonist, dystopian future. But it's also very different - different themes for the most part.

Also, since she liked The Hunger Games, she might like Collins's other series, Gregor the Overlander. Similar themes to The Hunger Games, but very different setting and exploration of them.

Moving on to contemporary... This is a tough age for girls who are good readers but who aren't into fantasy. A lot of the YA books are a bit beyond them in themes but a lot of the MG books feel a bit too easy.

However, ANYTHING by Wendy Mass is an exception. I especially like A Mango Shaped Space, but her birthday series (11 Birthdays, Finally, etc.) are fun and have just a very tiny bit of magic in them. Her book Every Soul a Star has a homeschool theme. She is a great writer and this age is perfect for her books.

I also really like the art mystery series that begins with The Wright 3. Male protagonist, but there is a female main character and it's just a great series.

I also really liked Savvy. This one is fantasy, but contemporary fantasy, and it doesn't feel like fantasy - the magical elements are done very differently.

I'll also toss out a couple more that are slightly on the younger end. Deborah Wiles is another good author - I really liked her recent historical fiction book Countdown, but she has some more contemporary ones, like Each Little Bird that Sings. And if she hasn't read anything by Sharon Creech, then Absolutely Normal Chaos is a nice contemporary book.

Picky readers are tough. Good luck.

My daughter sounds like yours. Since Harry Potter, she has loved the Sisters Grimm series, the Underland Chronicles (Gregor the Overlander), anything by Rick Riordan, The Theodosia Series, and Artemis Fowl. She's just getting into The Hobbit but is finding it a hard read; that's probably because of some of the fluff she's read before though.

Good luck,

Since your DD liked the Hunger Games, this is a great link to start with. I read The Giver from the suggestion from this list and loved it... I'm trying to convince DD1 to read it too. :p

http://2busybrunette...e-hunger-games/

This list has been very helpful. She has read several on this list already so it's helpful since she'll probably like the others as well. I have it narrowed down to The Uglies, Switcher, or Birthmarked and I can't decide which one. Probably leaning towards The Uglies since I've actually heard of this one before.

But now I see that other people have posted more suggestions, so now I'm going to go check some of those. Thanks!

Fablehaven series, Beyonders series - Brandon Mull

Pendragon Series - MacHale

The Hobbit - Tolkien

The False Prince - Jennifer Neilson

Two Princesses of Bamarre - Gail Carson Levine

I know we have the first of the Fablehaven series at home. I wonder if she ever tried that. Also it seems like we've gotten the Pendragon series from the library. I know she has read Two Princesses. We own the Hobbit. I'll check on The False Prince at Amazon. Thanks!

However, ANYTHING by Wendy Mass is an exception. I especially like A Mango Shaped Space, but her birthday series (11 Birthdays, Finally, etc.) are fun and have just a very tiny bit of magic in them. Her book Every Soul a Starhas a homeschool theme. She is a great writer and this age is perfect for her books.

She LOVES Wendy Mass. We get her books out from the library over and over. She loved the Birthday series and Every Soul a Star. I've never heard of a Mango Shaped Space though! I'm heading to Amazon now to check it out.

My daughter sounds like yours. Since Harry Potter, she has loved the Sisters Grimm series, the Underland Chronicles (Gregor the Overlander), anything by Rick Riordan, The Theodosia Series, and Artemis Fowl. She's just getting into The Hobbit but is finding it a hard read; that's probably because of some of the fluff she's read before though.

Good luck,

I can't stand the Hobbit either. It's not that it's a difficult read. It's just that it's just another boring quest book. With poems. Ugh. JMHO. ;)

But thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.