Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 50

Robin M

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you enjoy this? I've been debating whether to read this . . .

You can do it! You have one of the longest reading lists I've seen on here (enviably so)! You definitely can do this!

I *did* like Wesley the Owl, although I think the first two-thirds of the book are better than the last third. As the author remarks herself near the conclusion, the death of a beloved pet is an inevitable part of an animal story. By the time she began struggling with Wesley's end-of-life concerns, she was -- obviously -- not the same person she was at the beginning of the narrative, and the older version was simply not as compelling a character as the younger.

After mulling over The Prisoner of Heaven, I remembered one thing I wanted to say about it.... The POV bothered me in parts & here's why -- Fermin is recounting his past & it's like you're transported to that time/place. However, at times, there is much detail about people (mainly a person named Valls) & events going on w/ that person, but Fermin was not there, so how can he know to that level of detail? I guess I found the shift between 1st person & 3rd person POVs not great in parts of the book. Not a big deal, but more of a nagging feeling going on in my head when I was reading....

Completed:

Book #64 - "2012 Family Guide to Groceries Under $250 a month" by Melissa Burnell. Quick read on my Kindle. Useful hints, most of which we are already doing, unfortunately. Some of the recipes look good.

Book #63 - "Artemis Fowl" by Eoin Colfer. Downloaded this when it was a free book on Amazon several months ago, and just barely got around to reading it. Fast read.

Book #62 - "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Doggone it! The point of both joining the 52 week challenge and tackling the WEM list was to feel smarter. I *know* I read this in High School (for AP History). I remember the emotional impact. So why were Tom and Simon Legree the only characters I remembered?! :rolleyes: Must be effectively written, as my little one came in a couple of times to ask, "Momma, why you cryin'?"

Book #61 - "Talking Back to OCD" by John S. March, MD.

Book #60 - "Moby Dick: or, the White Whale" by Herman Melville.

Book #59 - "Freeing Your Child From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" by Tamar E. Chansky, Ph.D.

Book #58 - "What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD" by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.

Book #57 - "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Book #56 - "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.

Book #55 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 3 - A House Divided Cannot Stand" by Kevin Baker.

Book #54 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 2 - Creating the West" by Kevin Baker.

Book #53 - "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.

Book #52 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 1 - The World Comes to America" by Kevin Baker, et. al.

Book #51 - "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" by Nicholas Carr.

Book #50 - "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

Book #49 - "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift.

Book #48 - "No Regrets: How Homeschooling Earned me a Master's Degree at Age Sixteen" by Alexandra Swann.

Book #47 - "What to Read When" by Pam Allyn.

Book #46 - "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City" by Greg Witt.

Book #45 - "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety" by Tamar Chansky.

Book #44 - "A Nation Rising" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #43 - "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan.

Book #42 - "The School for the Insanely Gifted" by Dan Elish.

Book #41 - "The Eye of the Sun - Part One of Blackwood: Legends of the Forest" by Les Moyes.

Book #40 - "The Fallacy Detective" by Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn.

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby.

Book #38 - "Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky.

Book #37 - "Growing Up: A Classic American Childhood" by Marilyn vos Savant.

Book #36 -"A Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

Book #35 - "Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School" by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran.

Book #34 - "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams.

Book #33 - "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan.

Book #32 - "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson.

Book #31 - "America's Hidden History" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #30 - "The Diamond of Darkhold†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #29 - "The People of Sparks†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #28 - "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 - "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey.

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters.

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters.

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters.

Remember last week when we all had such a grand time watching the 50 Shades of Chicken video? Youtube now has me pegged as a 50 Shades of Grey fan and is linking all sorts of videos that I might be interested in. Eek. Just the link art on those videos is graphic. I hope DH can fix it and I hope he believes the 50 Shades of Chicken story otherwise I'll never hear the end of the teasing.

Also, I'm going to finally finish a book tonight so I'll update tomorrow with my review.

I've finally settled down enough to get started on a couple of books. One I've read before but it has been so long that I don't remember the resolution: Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes. This is not her Richard Jury series (which I don't like) but one with a young, precocious female protagonist that smacks so strongly of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce I wonder if he stole her. Hotel Paradise is a good mystery, sort of cozy-ish but not quite silly enough to be a cozy (sorry to cozy fans). If you like Bradley's books, you might want to look for this one.

About Martha Grimes...Initially I loved the Jury series. (I have a crush on Melrose Plant.) But I gave up reading her books in the last five or eight years. The violent crimes involving children were more than I could bear.

Does Hotel Paradise involve crimes against children?

Okay - giving you all a heads up since you love being involved in the planning process. And some people like planning ahead and are creating their book lists now. Here's the list I've come up with so far and will be throwing them at you randomly throughout the year. Anything else you want on the list?

Book versus Movie

Read a Banned or Challenged Book

Pick a book based on the cover

Pick a book from the Key Word Challenge based on the month

Pick a book with a color in the title

Pick a book with a number in the title

Pick a book with season in the title

Read a Biography

Read a book about food: Chef Memoir, History of food, etc.

Read a book from the Goodreads Abandoned Book List

Read a book from each of the Dewey Decimal classes

Read a book by a Nobel Prize winner in Literature

Read a book on History

Read a book of poetry

Read a British Mystery

Read a classic

Read a Contemporary Mystery/Thriller

Read a Humor Book

Read a Memoir

Read a Play

Read a Travel book

Read the next book in that series you've been meaning to get to

Revisit an old friend

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - Pick one from 2000, 1900s, 1800s, 1700s or pre 1700s

Note about food category: I personally wouldn't count a cookbook as meeting the goal for 52 since it isn't something I read cover to cover and really doesn't have much substance literary wise. So - a straight down the line recipe only cookbook is not acceptable. However there are some cookbooks that are done in story fashion which are more food memoirs, history of food, etc - that type of thing. Those are acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestion on doing the lists in Word, Robin. That made this so much better! Yay! My list is back. My lists make me happy which is a good thing since I had a sad reading experience last night.

Holmes for the Holidaysby various authors – I’m a huge Sherlock Holmes fan so this was a fun read. Some of the stories were better written than others but they all kept pretty close to cannon and they didn’t make Watson look like a bumbling fool. I hate stories that do that. The man was a doctor! Just because he wasn’t as smart as Holmes doesn’t make him a blithering idiot. (rant over)

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson – I adore Georgette Heyer and her Regency romances and was excited that I might find a new favorite author. I drove my little Volvo home from the library in a flurry of excitement to get started on this book. This is where the story turns sad. I had to abandon this book and I am a little leery of posting my scathing review here because it was recommended here and I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. That said based on the Goodreads reviews LOTS of people loved this book and I’m one of the few that didn’t so let's just assume there's something wrong with me and this is a great book. I'm still going to give you the reasons why I detested it though.

There were four main problems that I could tell in the book – one dimensional character, weak plot line, non-existent setting for being a period piece, and poor writing.

Characters – All of the characters were without personality. I believe the author had a checklist of character traits expected in a Regency romance and randomly assigned a few traits to each character. That makes for boring characters. I think boring is too weak of a word. I actively disliked the characters. I was rooting AGAINST them. Had I been in that family I believe I would have run away and tried to be adopted into the Darcy family.

• Grandmother – an old curmudgeon woman with a heart of gold behind her rough exterior. We know this because we are repeatedly told it.
  • Marianne – a plucky untraditional beauty that doesn’t fit society’s norms. Oh but she doesn’t really realize she’s a beauty. And she isn’t shunned by society because she’s likeable. Oh and she’s going to be rich someday.
  • Philip – You’ll love this one. Totally original. Handsome, rich, and comes off as arrogant when you first meet him. But really he’s a great guy.
  • The sister – Beautiful and charming. She’s trying to marry well. I believe in those two phrases I gave her more personality than the author did.

Plot – I hope I don’t give too much away here. Boy meets girl under harrowing circumstances. Boy behaves badly for about two seconds. Boy and girl proceed to have witty banter for two hundred pages. I think it was supposed to be witty banter. I didn’t find them interesting but it appears they found each other interesting.

Setting – What do you think of when you think “Regency� Do you picture beautiful people, interesting locals, society, foppish men, stately manors, and lovely gowns? Well, you’d be wrong if you were looking for it in this book. It could easily have taken place anywhere at any time. You could have changed coach to limo and it could have taken place in the upscale neighborhood down the street from me last year. There were no unique problems anyone had to solve because of the time period. Nothing. For pity’s sake at least give the reader some beautiful dresses and a guy with a stylishly cut suit.

Writing – There is no way I can describe the quality of writing and not come off as a pompous jerk. It was bad. If this was fanfiction I read on the internet then it still would have been bad.

If you read this and loved it then I’m glad. I realize I must be in the wrong because everyone else (EVEN MEN!) love this book. I hated it. I double hated it. I want to give this negative stars.

In progress:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (read aloud)

Eye of the World (Wheel of Time 1)by Robert Jordan

The ABC Murdersby Agatha Christie

2012 finished books:

124. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson (ZERO stars)

123. Holmes for the Holidaysby various authors (***)

122. Arsenic and Old Lace by Joseph Kesselring (***)

121. The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller (***)

Books 81-120

Books 41 - 80

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Okay - giving you all a heads up since you love being involved in the planning process. And some people like planning ahead and are creating their book lists now. Here's the list I've come up with so far and will be throwing them at you randomly throughout the year. Anything else you want on the list?

Book versus Movie

Read a Banned or Challenged Book

Pick a book based on the cover

Pick a book from the Key Word Challengebased on the month

Pick a book with a color in the title

Pick a book with a number in the title

Pick a book with season in the title

Read a Biography

Read a book about food: Chef Memoir, History of food, etc.

Read a book from the Goodreads Abandoned Book List

Read a book from each of the Dewey Decimal classes

Read a book by a Nobel Prize winner in Literature

Read a book on History

Read a book of poetry

Read a British Mystery

Read a classic

Read a Contemporary Mystery/Thriller

Read a Humor Book

Read a Memoir

Read a Play

Read a Travel book

Read the next book in that series you've been meaning to get to

Revisit an old friend

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - Pick one from 2000, 1900s, 1800s, 1700s or pre 1700s

Note about food category: I personally wouldn't count a cookbook as meeting the goal for 52 since it isn't something I read cover to cover and really doesn't have much substance literary wise. So - a straight down the line recipe only cookbook is not acceptable. However there are some cookbooks that are done in story fashion which are more food memoirs, history of food, etc - that type of thing. Those are acceptable.

How about - Read about book published in 2013

A big :thumbdown: to Amazon this week. Unknown to me, dh had ordered my gift from them (a new Kindle Paperwhite -- the only thing I asked for) after Thanksgiving. I walked out to get the mail yesterday, and guess what was sitting by the garage door? The Kindle. How do I know it was a Kindle? Because Amazon didn't bother to pack it in a shipping box, or put packing materials around it, or protect it in any way; they just plastered the Kindle box itself with UPS stickers and sent it on its way. I called to complain and the customer service kid told me that such shipping practices were standard. I was about ready to put my foot up someones' behind. :cursing: But hey! I got a Kindle!

Did your dh mark it as a gift when he bought it? If you do then Amazon says it will ship the Kindle in an unmarked box (no Kindle word on the box).

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

There were four main problems that I could tell in the book – one dimensional character, weak plot line, non-existent setting for being a period piece, and poor writing.

I'm sorry if my semi-positive review of this encouraged you - that's about as negative as I get. You're more honest than I was, although I thought it was a bit better than you did. There are holes in the plot all over the place, the characters are not very bright, and the writing is very stilted. It was good for the beach, and it was clean. I wouldn't rush out for another one.

I definitely agree with you that it didn't feel "regency" to me. I think the characters were a bit better than you did, although still very stilted and stock.

I'm sorry if my semi-positive review of this encouraged you - that's about as negative as I get. You're more honest than I was, although I thought it was a bit better than you did. There are holes in the plot all over the place, the characters are not very bright, and the writing is very stilted. It was good for the beach, and it was clean. I wouldn't rush out for another one. I definitely agree with you that it didn't feel "regency" to me. I think the characters were a bit better than you did, although still very stilted and stock.

I was a little concerned when I read your mediocre review because I usually like the same books you do. This was my first really harsh review and I thought long about putting it up because it was recommended on here and I don't ever want anybody to stop recommending books to me or others. (Except for those people that find out you love to read and then want to recommend 50 Shades to me. Those people can stop making book recommendations.) I suspect this book was the result of pent of frustration over some very poorly written books I've read over the year. This book just put me over the edge and I had took all my frustrations out on it. It felt kind of good. :)

I can't remember who it was that loved this book but PLEASE don't take the fact that I didn't like it personally. If you read something you love then let us know and recommend it. Individual tastes vary so much and I know there's been books that I thought were some of the finest literature ever written and other people thought the book was a waste of good paper that could have been used for better purposes like TP. Some of my favorite books have come from recommendations here.

I'm currently reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette? So far I'd rate is as a pretty quick, chick lit type book. Not my usual fare, but I'm enjoying it well enough so far.

Also, Robin, as far as challenges, I was pondering one I might do (for myself) next either -- either read a book from each continent &/or read a book from... how to label it... displaced peoples or groups wanting independence from somewhere else. I was thinking of the latter item because I just picked up two books by a Basque author. (I'd love input from various others about authors I could choose for those categories!) Don't know if anyone else would be interested in those or if you want to post it, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Robin, I ♥ your list of challenge suggestions!

Stacia, Bernadette is on one of my TBR stacks because my sister mentioned it. The holidays are a little... tricksey for me since 2010, so I could use something light. What say you?

Finally, The End of Your Life Book Club will be #134 for me. Yes, that number is lower than previously reported because the five volumes of Hugh Howey's Wool saga are more appropriately considered a single work. I've adjusted accordingly. But, hey, it was never about the number, was it?

I've reworked my complete list of books read in 2012, sorting them into categories: plays, poetry, classics, general fiction, YA fiction, non-fiction, and graphic works (fiction and non-fiction alike). All of the plays, poetry, and classics were compelling, but my favorites in general fiction and non-fiction have been moved to the top of their respective lists (in case anyone was looking to increase the length of his or her Amazon wish list *wink*).

For those who absolutely refuse to click a blog link, here are my favorites (to date) of the 23 general fiction and 45 traditional non-fiction titles I consumed, I mean, read this year:

â–  Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Carla Rifka Brunt; fiction)

â–  The Age of Miracles (Karen Thompson Walker; fiction)

â–  Things We Didn't See Coming (Steven Amsterdam; fiction)

â–  A Thousand Cuts (Simon Lelic; fiction)

â–  The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (Jan-Philipp Sendker; fiction)

â–  Sister (Rosamund Lupton; fiction)

â–  Counterfeit Kids: Why They Can't Think and How to Save Them (Ron Baird; non-fiction)

â–  One for the Books (Joe Queenan; non-fiction)

â–  Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (Joshua Foer; non-fiction)

â–  The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

■ The Memory Palace (Mira Bartók; memoir)

â–  The Fiddler in the Subway (Gene Weingarten; non-fiction, journalism/essays)

â–  The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg; non-fiction)

â–  Hamlet: Poem Unlimited (Harold Bloom; non-fiction)

â–  My Ideal Bookshelf (Thessaly La Force, editor, Jane Mount, illustrator; non-fiction)

I finished two in the last few days: first, Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. Wow. It was amazing, and terribly discouraging, too. Second, Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups yesterday. It was ok--I remember liking some of her other books more years ago.

I was listening to a few chapters of the Moby Dick Big Read yesterday and was on the proverbial edge of my seat.

I'm also reading Banker to the Poor by Muhammed Yunus. Very interesting--and kind of an antidote to Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

I'm wondering how I am going to count books that I start before January 1 but don't finish before midnight? Will they be in book limbo? :laugh: How is everyone else handling that?

Thanks for the suggestion on doing the lists in Word, Robin. That made this so much better! Yay! My list is back. My lists make me happy which is a good thing since I had a sad reading experience last night.

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson – I adore Georgette Heyer and her Regency romances and was excited that I might find a new favorite author. I drove my little Volvo home from the library in a flurry of excitement to get started on this book. This is where the story turns sad. I had to abandon this book and I am a little leery of posting my scathing review here because it was recommended here and I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. That said based on the Goodreads reviews LOTS of people loved this book and I’m one of the few that didn’t so let's just assume there's something wrong with me and this is a great book. I'm still going to give you the reasons why I detested it though.

Characters – All of the characters were without personality. I believe the author had a checklist of character traits expected in a Regency romance and randomly assigned a few traits to each character. That makes for boring characters. I think boring is too weak of a word. I actively disliked the characters. I was rooting AGAINST them. Had I been in that family I believe I would have run away and tried to be adopted into the Darcy family.

• Grandmother – an old curmudgeon woman with a heart of gold behind her rough exterior. We know this because we are repeatedly told it.
  • Marianne – a plucky untraditional beauty that doesn’t fit society’s norms. Oh but she doesn’t really realize she’s a beauty. And she isn’t shunned by society because she’s likeable. Oh and she’s going to be rich someday.
  • Philip – You’ll love this one. Totally original. Handsome, rich, and comes off as arrogant when you first meet him. But really he’s a great guy.
  • The sister – Beautiful and charming. She’s trying to marry well. I believe in those two phrases I gave her more personality than the author did.

Plot – I hope I don’t give too much away here. Boy meets girl under harrowing circumstances. Boy behaves badly for about two seconds. Boy and girl proceed to have witty banter for two hundred pages. I think it was supposed to be witty banter. I didn’t find them interesting but it appears they found each other interesting.

Setting – What do you think of when you think “Regency� Do you picture beautiful people, interesting locals, society, foppish men, stately manors, and lovely gowns? Well, you’d be wrong if you were looking for it in this book. It could easily have taken place anywhere at any time. You could have changed coach to limo and it could have taken place in the upscale neighborhood down the street from me last year. There were no unique problems anyone had to solve because of the time period. Nothing. For pity’s sake at least give the reader some beautiful dresses and a guy with a stylishly cut suit.

Writing – There is no way I can describe the quality of writing and not come off as a pompous jerk. It was bad. If this was fanfiction I read on the internet then it still would have been bad.

If you read this and loved it then I’m glad. I realize I must be in the wrong because everyone else (EVEN MEN!) love this book. I hated it. I double hated it. I want to give this negative stars.

Yeah, I'm glad it worked out for you. Appreciate your honest comments about this book. Now I know it's one I don't want to read. We all don't think the same and there have been plenty of books folks have loved that I hated. Wicked for example - icky icky pooh pooh. I doubt anyone will be mad at you for being honest. Nor will it stop any from giving their opinions about books. In fact it may help a few talk a bit more about their reads. That's what this thread is all about. That's the great thing about our group is that we all have different viewpoints, but stay positive and get along so well.

I'm wondering how I am going to count books that I start before January 1 but don't finish before midnight? Will they be in book limbo? :laugh: How is everyone else handling that?

Count them for 2013. I've been reading Dickens aloud to Middle Girl, for my sins, and it's going to drag its overwrought bulk through to the new year, so that's when I'll count it.

ETA: Didn't mean my snarky comments about Dickens to follow on the heels of Mytwoblessings' irenic post! My insincere apologies to all the Dickens fans. :D

And for those who enjoy YA fiction, here are my favorites from the list of 23 YA fiction titles I completed this year:

â–  Feed (MT Anderson; fiction)

â–  The Fault in Our Stars (John Green; YA fiction)

â–  Going Bovine (Libba Bray; YA fiction)

â–  UnWholly (Neal Shusterman; YA fiction)

â–  I Am the Cheese (Robert Cormier; YA fiction)

â–  Adventure Unleashed (______ __. _________; unpublished fiction)

Again, here is my complete list of books read in 2012.

How about - Read about book published in 2013

See. I knew I forgot something. Thank you.

I'm currently reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette? So far I'd rate is as a pretty quick, chick lit type book. Not my usual fare, but I'm enjoying it well enough so far. Also, Robin, as far as challenges, I was pondering one I might do (for myself) next either -- either read a book from each continent &/or read a book from... how to label it... displaced peoples or groups wanting independence from somewhere else. I was thinking of the latter item because I just picked up two books by a Basque author. (I'd love input from various others about authors I could choose for those categories!) Don't know if anyone else would be interested in those or if you want to post it, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I was contemplating something like that - read a book from each continent. I like your idea but how do you find a displaced person book?

I finished two in the last few days: first, Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. Wow. It was amazing, and terribly discouraging, too. Second, Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups yesterday. It was ok--I remember liking some of her other books more years ago. I was listening to a few chapters of the Moby Dick Big Read yesterday and was on the proverbial edge of my seat. I'm also reading Banker to the Poor by Muhammed Yunus. Very interesting--and kind of an antidote to Behind the Beautiful Forevers. I'm wondering how I am going to count books that I start before January 1 but don't finish before midnight? Will they be in book limbo? :laugh: How is everyone else handling that?

No book limbo. Since you'll be finishing it in 2013, it will count in 2013.

Robin, I ♥ your list of challenge suggestions!

Stacia, Bernadette is on one of my TBR stacks because my sister mentioned it. The holidays are a little... tricksey for me since 2010, so I could use something light. What say you?

Finally, The End of Your Life Book Club will be #134 for me. Yes, that number is lower than previously reported because the five volumes of Hugh Howey's Wool saga are more appropriately considered a single work. I've adjusted accordingly. But, hey, it was never about the number, was it?

I've reworked my complete list of books read in 2012, sorting them into categories: plays, poetry, classics, general fiction, YA fiction, non-fiction, and graphic works (fiction and non-fiction alike). All of the plays, poetry, and classics were compelling, but my favorites in general fiction and non-fiction have been moved to the top of their respective lists (in case anyone was looking to increase the length of his or her Amazon wish list *wink*).

For those who absolutely refuse to click a blog link, here are my favorites (to date) of the 33 general fiction and 45 traditional non-fiction titles I consumed, I mean, read this year:

â–  Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Carla Rifka Brunt; fiction)

â–  The Age of Miracles (Karen Thompson Walker; fiction)

â–  Things We Didn't See Coming (Steven Amsterdam; fiction)

â–  A Thousand Cuts (Simon Lelic; fiction)

â–  The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (Jan-Philipp Sendker; fiction)

â–  Sister (Rosamund Lupton; fiction)

â–  Counterfeit Kids: Why They Can't Think and How to Save Them (Ron Baird; non-fiction)

â–  One for the Books (Joe Queenan; non-fiction)

â–  Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (Joshua Foer; non-fiction)

â–  The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

■ The Memory Palace (Mira Bartók; memoir)

â–  The Fiddler in the Subway (Gene Weingarten; non-fiction, journalism/essays)

â–  The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg; non-fiction)

â–  Hamlet: Poem Unlimited (Harold Bloom; non-fiction)

â–  My Ideal Bookshelf (Thessaly La Force, editor, Jane Mount, illustrator; non-fiction)

Thank you for sharing your top reads. You have introduced me to so many books that I would have never considered reading in the past. You've helped expand my reading repertoire.

I was contemplating something like that - read a book from each continent. I like your idea but how do you find a displaced person book?

Yeah, it may be hard to even find published pieces. It would be easier to focus on groups fighting for independence from other groups, probably. I've done a tiny bit of looking around the last few minutes & found a book of Palestinian Folk Tales, list of Kurdish authors, a Chechen author (which I've now shut the page I found), etc.... Not sure if I want to pursue it, but I may pick & choose a couple of books like that.... I still like the idea of reading one from each continent.

I guess not. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they said that in GREAT BIG LETTERS on the check-out page, and he still didn't see it. I love him anyway :rolleyes:

Thank you. I was hoping it was going to come off as funny and not as bitter and angry. Sometimes there's a fine line with my sense of humor.

I can't remember who it was that loved this book but PLEASE don't take the fact that I didn't like it personally. If you read something you love then let us know and recommend it. Individual tastes vary so much and I know there's been books that I thought were some of the finest literature ever written and other people thought the book was a waste of good paper that could have been used for better purposes like TP. Some of my favorite books have come from recommendations here.

It was me. And your right, I don't usually recommend books because I'm only of the fringe of most of the discussions here. I didn't finish reading your post as I didn't want to ruin it for myself. Edenbrooke was one of my favorite books of the whole year. Like I said, I didn't finish reading your post so I'm not sure what you didn't like. Yeah, there were a couple holes, and yeah, I was surprised at how quickly the end was resolved, and yeah, the author is no Austen or Heyer. Sometimes, though, I like to read a book where it just turns out Happily Ever After with not a lot of bumps to get me there.

Oh, well. Maybe you shouldn't read Robert Jordan, though, Robin likes him, so there's something to be said for that.

I finished #43 New Spring by Robert Jordan. It is the prequel he wrote for the Wheel of Time series. It was a good jumping off point for starting my Wheel of Time journey. I began The Eye of the World already. I may through in a couple fluff reads here and there in between. I wish I could read more than one book at once but I can't. I get too involved with the story and characters and feel like I'm cheating.

Had I been in that family I believe I would have run away and tried to be adopted into the Darcy family.

Great review with this exception: no matter what family I was raised in, I would still want to run away and be adopted into the Darcy family. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm shallow that way.

Finished The Happiness Project. I didn't like it at first. It seemed shallow and, well, shallow, plus I didn't really like the style of writing- it seemd choppy.

But it grew on me. I ended up really, really liking Gretchen, and her family. They seem like happy, decent people who want happy, decent things for thier friends, family and others. I wrote down several ideas and quotes from her book. In conclusion, I'm happy that I read it.

I finished #43 New Spring by Robert Jordan. It is the prequel he wrote for the Wheel of Time series. It was a good jumping off point for starting my Wheel of Time journey. I began The Eye of the World already. I may through in a couple fluff reads here and there in between. I wish I could read more than one book at once but I can't. I get too involved with the story and characters and feel like I'm cheating.

Excuse while I scream - hit the wrong button again and erased everything I said.

Okay- I'm the same way in that I get involved in a story and the characters and don't want to read anything else. I don't read more than on hardback or paperback at a time. But I do mix it up with a story on the nook or listen to an audiobook. Never of the same genre though. I can't read two mysteries at the same time. I'm having a hard time settling on any one book at the moment since finishing the Great Hunt. Probably why I like series so much - and always sad when a series ends. Especially a good one (like Nora Roberts) Though I'm not ready to start the next book in the wheel series. Need something different. Maybe paranormalish, because mysteries just aren't doing it for me today.

Daily deals

Audible.com has The Hobbit today narrated by Rob Inglis for 6.95. I checked out a sample of Inglis voice and he fits the story and isn't annoying.

Amazon's daily deal is Diary of Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel for $1.99. 89% claimed as of this moment.

Sourcebook's 14th day of Christmas ebook is Hot Zone by Catherine Mann. I read the first in the series (romantic suspense - males in the series are air force rescuemen) and it was pretty good. Not Nora Robert's level but good. Link is to b&n but available on Kindle too.

:grouphug: :grouphug: to you, Mmv.

As far as the book.... Well, I say... meh. I finished it today. It was ok. As I've said before, chick lit is not really my genre, but this looked like it could be a fun book so I thought I'd give it a try. It might be better than some chick lit out there (I don't have much experience to compare it against), but imo it got a bit tedious reading most of the book in the style of letters, emails, reports, yada, yada.... Plus, the writing style of one of the characters in the book was extremely annoying! Because everything was empahsized! Like it was so important! And urgent! And reading a couple of pages of that repeatedly through the book made me want to yell! I think I felt stressed out after reading those sections! Not sure I cared a lot about most of the characters either.... It's certainly a quick enough read though.

A side comment -- I'm starting to see more & more product references in books these days. It's starting to be like glaring product placement in movies (i.e., Heineken in James Bond, anyone?). Lately, books have over-mentioned (drooled over?) products/companies including Microsoft (Where'd You Go, Bernadette?), Google (Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore), Apple & Ikea (The Girl Who... series). I'm just starting to get a little burned out on all the specific product references, kwim? Anyone else noticing that? Perhaps I should make time to read Infinite Jest, huh? ;)

If you're looking for something light or fun during the holidays, how about Hogfather by Terry Pratchett? (Or anything Terry Pratchett, really.) Another charming option is The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers.

Audible.com has The Hobbit today narrated by Rob Inglis for 6.95. I checked out a sample of Inglis voice and he fits the story and isn't annoying.

This is the version I bought and we listened to on our trip in November. It's AMAZING, Inglis does a perfect job. He sings all the songs. He does the voices. He does a great job with the narrative (although I did fall a little asleep in the Mirkwood). He totally impressed us.

If you see his Lord of the Rings books for that price, I'd love to snatch those up!

It's been a long time since I read Victoria Holt, so I can't give you any first hand recommendations. However, this blog post from HeroesandHeartbreakers.com might be of interest to you as it has recommendations in the text and in the comments. The Many Facets of Victoria Holt by Janga Regards, Kareni
My favorite is Pride of the Peacock (which was in 1976). The Shivering Sands is good too. :) ETA: that blog post is interesting. The Wiki site is too. Here's my secret ... I found Susan Howatch by looking down a shelf from the Victoria Holt books in my high school library.

Thanks to both of you. Pride of the Peacock sounds familiar, and I may well have read it. I can put this on my revisit an old friend list or something.

179375_434480313286104_369821995_n.jpg

Love this :laugh:

One of my favorite thriller authors has come out with a ya thriller and is making it available in ebook temporarily for $1.99 available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I've already downloaded it. Don't Turn Around. dont-turn-around-200.jpg

Dds and I read this in 2012 and so I'm interested to see what you think of it.

Okay - giving you all a heads up since you love being involved in the planning process. And some people like planning ahead and are creating their book lists now. Here's the list I've come up with so far and will be throwing them at you randomly throughout the year. Anything else you want on the list? Book versus Movie Read a Banned or Challenged Book Pick a book based on the cover Pick a book from the Key Word Challenge based on the month Pick a book with a color in the title Pick a book with a number in the title Pick a book with season in the title Read a Biography Read a book about food: Chef Memoir, History of food, etc. Read a book from the Goodreads Abandoned Book List Read a book from each of the Dewey Decimal classes Read a book by a Nobel Prize winner in Literature Read a book on History Read a book of poetry Read a British Mystery Read a classic Read a Contemporary Mystery/Thriller Read a Humor Book Read a Memoir Read a Play Read a Travel book Read the next book in that series you've been meaning to get to Revisit an old friend 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - Pick one from 2000, 1900s, 1800s, 1700s or pre 1700s

This looks good, plus the one someone mentioned about reading a book published in 2013 (of course, this could partly be because I've already put a hold on the newest Flavia book that's coming out in Jan :).)

It's been a long while since I posted in one of these threads. I've been reading, but lost the habit of recording what I've finished. I'm going to give it another try in 2013, as I found it motivating to keep track of what I've read. I also ordered a Moleskine book journal that looks lovely, in hopes that it will prompt more reflection about the books I read. This week, I finished A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, and am almost done with the sequel, Shadow of Night. I'm enjoying them as a light read, though I confess I'm finding the second book a bit irritating. It suffers from a malady common to many novels that involve time travel: characters invariably meet significant historical figures. It's somewhat plausible in this book, but for some reason it bothers me when authors do this. My other current read is How to Tutor Your Own Child, a book I bought looking for inspiration with my oldest ds. I'm not sure what I think of it it; so far, most of what the author has said describes what we are already doing. I'm hoping there will be some more useful ideas by the end of the book.

DS and I are also reading aloud the first book in The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series. I'm enjoying it very much, and my 11 year old is giggling out loud in places (which is most unlike him). He also gives it a thumbs-up because he's recognized quite a few of the vocabulary words he's studied recently in Caesar's English.

Even though I am bad about participating, I have to say these are my favorite threads here and I genuinely appreciate all of you who share such wonderful recommendations. My TBR pile is overflowing, and I am a very happy bibliphile!

I finished 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. That was my 'Wow!' book of the year. The ending shook me up and really got under my skin. This is one of those books that I will be thinking about long after I have closed the book.

I just finished this book last week. I've been thinking about this book since I closed it and after the school shooting yesterday, I am pondering it more and more.

I have now started Chinese Letter by Svetislav Basara, a contemporary Serbian author.

Here's an article from the translator on how she went about translating this book.

15647100581300M.gif

Thank you for sharing the article - it is intriguing and fascinating how much effort goes into translating a story. Now it makes me want to read the book. Look forward to hearing your thoughts about it. Something else I need to add to our list of mini challenges - read a translated book.

Have any of you been following the reading a no think book thread - I have to laugh because the majority of books folks are mentioning as fluffy and no brainers are really not. I don't think most of them realize that it isn't easy no think books they are looking for or reading, but a book that will take them away for a while. Amazing how people define light versus difficult or fluffy versus literary. It's really all a matter of semantics. We've had that conversation here before but with a little less snark.

I have now started Chinese Letter by Svetislav Basara (СветиÑлав БаÑара), a contemporary Serbian author.

Here's an article from the translator on how she went about translating this book.

I look forward to hearing your review.

Back in the '80's, Penguin had a series called Writers from the Other Europe that introduced a number of Eastern European authors to the English speaking world. There is a certain dark humor that can be found in Eastern European writing. I enjoy it immensely.

The%20JubJub%20bird_m.jpg

Lewis Carroll's Hunting of the Snark

They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;

They pursued it with forks and hope;

They threatened its life with a railway-share;

They charmed it with smiles and soap.

They shuddered to think that the chase might fail,

And the Beaver, excited at last,

Went bounding along on the tip of its tail,

For the daylight was nearly past.

"There is Thingumbob shouting!" the Bellman said,

"He is shouting like mad, only hark!

He is waving his hands, he is wagging his head,

He has certainly found a Snark!"

They gazed in delight, while the Butcher exclaimed

"He was always a desperate wag!"

They beheld him--their Baker--their hero unnamed--

On the top of a neighboring crag.

Erect and sublime, for one moment of time.

In the next, that wild figure they saw

(As if stung by a spasm) plunge into a chasm,

While they waited and listened in awe.

"It's a Snark!" was the sound that first came to their ears,

And seemed almost too good to be true.

Then followed a torrent of laughter and cheers:

Then the ominous words "It's a Boo-"

Then, silence. Some fancied they heard in the air

A weary and wandering sigh

Then sounded like "-jum!" but the others declare

It was only a breeze that went by.

They hunted till darkness came on, but they found

Not a button, or feather, or mark,

By which they could tell that they stood on the ground

Where the Baker had met with the Snark.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,

In the midst of his laughter and glee,

He had softly and suddenly vanished away---

For the Snark *was* a Boojum, you see.

I feel as though I'm hiding away in this thread. I'm a little scared to venture out on the boards. The upside is that I'll get a lot of reading done. The downside is that I might miss something really funny that happens.

It was me. And your right, I don't usually recommend books because I'm only of the fringe of most of the discussions here. I didn't finish reading your post as I didn't want to ruin it for myself. Edenbrooke was one of my favorite books of the whole year. Like I said, I didn't finish reading your post so I'm not sure what you didn't like. Yeah, there were a couple holes, and yeah, I was surprised at how quickly the end was resolved, and yeah, the author is no Austen or Heyer. Sometimes, though, I like to read a book where it just turns out Happily Ever After with not a lot of bumps to get me there.

Oh, well. Maybe you shouldn't read Robert Jordan, though, Robin likes him, so there's something to be said for that.

I'm glad your good natured. (Assuming you see this and haven't put me on the ignore list. :)) I'm only a few chapters into the Robert Jordan book and I'm loving it. I'm a little intimidated by it's length because the last few monthes I've only been reading books with about 300 pages. Normally I can get a book finished in a day or two but this is going to be at least a weeker for me.

Great review with this exception: no matter what family I was raised in, I would still want to run away and be adopted into the Darcy family. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm shallow that way.

Finished The Happiness Project. I didn't like it at first. It seemed shallow and, well, shallow, plus I didn't really like the style of writing- it seemd choppy.

But it grew on me. I ended up really, really liking Gretchen, and her family. They seem like happy, decent people who want happy, decent things for thier friends, family and others. I wrote down several ideas and quotes from her book. In conclusion, I'm happy that I read it.

I've got this on order at my library. Someone gave it a negative review saying that it was a book on how to be happy if you loved making detailed and over the top lists. That's totally me so I'm hoping I enjoy and get some good tips from the book.

Just came across an interesting readalong which i'm not joining but may add a few of the books to my wishlist. It is a war and literature readalong covering 12 different books in 12 different countries, written in 8 different languages and covering 6 different wars. Covers and synopsis of all the books provided on the website. Well worth checking out.

I feel as though I'm hiding away in this thread. I'm a little scared to venture out on the boards. The upside is that I'll get a lot of reading done. The downside is that I might miss something really funny that happens.

Well if you have to hide, I think this is the best thread to do it in. Lots of emotional threads going on right now though I did post the whole Snark hunting poem. Give the spirits a lift sort of thing. Plus it's quiet at work today and I was bored. :tongue_smilie:

Well if you have to hide, I think this is the best thread to do it in. Lots of emotional threads going on right now though I did post the whole Snark hunting poem. Give the spirits a lift sort of thing. Plus it's quiet at work today and I was bored. :tongue_smilie:

Poetry always helps, doesn't it? I'm doing searches on book and present threads and visiting those. I'm on a mission to add to DD's collection of picture books. She's 8 and I feel like I've only got a few years left of her wanting to sit down with a tall stack of picture books and read through them.

PS - I'm working right now too. Wish I was reading!

Someone gave it a negative review saying that it was a book on how to be happy if you loved making detailed and over the top lists. That's totally me so I'm hoping I enjoy and get some good tips from the book.

LOL. That was me. Since you enjoy list-making, I think you'll enjoy the book! :thumbup1:

I'm glad your good natured. (Assuming you see this and haven't put me on the ignore list. :)) I'm only a few chapters into the Robert Jordan book and I'm loving it. I'm a little intimidated by it's length because the last few monthes I've only been reading books with about 300 pages. Normally I can get a book finished in a day or two but this is going to be at least a weeker for me.

Oh, Good Grief, I wouldn't put you on the ignore list :rolleyes: I have thought about putting some people on the ignore list, but those are only really obnoxious people that I can't abide their views. So you didn't like one of my top 5 books of the year. I think we can still be friends :lol: I hope I didn't come across as snarky or nasty, my whole household has been sick for weeks. My house is a pit, Christmas is coming, and I have no energy to get anything done. I was feeling a little down when I posted.

I haven't been out on the boards much so I don't know what is going on out there. Though, I don't think some of these people know what a real fluff read is LOL!

I began The Eye of the World. I'm not too far because I can't even concentrate on reading. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Wow, that one looks intense! :scared: I don't think I could read 12 books about war though. Too depressing and sad. I get enough of that on the evening news.

Nor do I think I could survive 12 books on war. Yet I think it might not be a bad idea to read two or three--if only to remind myself of the need to wage peace.

I bookmarked the link for that reason.