Menu

Keurig??

PeacefulChaos

Gah!

I kind of like the whole idea of getting a Keurig - DH gets up well before I do, so I wouldn't have to drink coffee that had been sitting there for a few hours (I often don't drink coffee at all for this reason); and I like the idea of trying different kinds since I've only actually been drinking coffee - albeit sporadically - for the last few months. So I'd kind of like to try different ones.

BUT

I just don't know if it's worth the cost. Belk has a Keurig on sale for $149 this weekend. So a) there is the high cost of the thing itself, as opposed to just buying a new, 'regular' coffee pot for what, $40-$50? Then I'm not sure about the cost of the k-cups. I looked online to see if I could find them any cheaper than at the store (our WalMart has them 18/$11) and the cheapest I can find is 24/$13. Regular coffee (what we buy, anyway) is about $10 for one of the large cans. I don't know how often we buy it - every 3 weeks maybe?? So B) there is the cost of the k-cups as opposed to just buying regular coffee.

I'm thinking that 24 k-cups would last us about 2 weeks (especially since I don't necessarily drink coffee every day). So that would cost us $26/mo on average, whereas regular coffee costs us $15/mo on average (because sometimes we may have to buy it twice a month)... not a massive difference, but every little bit counts, kwim?

So tell me, if you have a Keurig, is it worth it?

If you don't have a Keurig, would you get one? Why or why not?

I'm considering either the Keurig Mini or the Mr. Coffee version of the Keurig. I'm the only one who drinks coffee, so it tends to go stale before I use it up, even in the freezer, which makes the K-cups more attractive. The Mini runs about $99 and the Mr. Coffee version about $79-I'm mostly just waiting for a good sale/coupon. The big difference that I can see between the smaller machines and the bigger ones is the water reservoir, and I don't see a need for being able to make 12 cups without refilling for just me.

My husband's company does a lot of work for Green Mountain and Keurig, so we got our machine for a steep discount. He doesn't use real K-cups either, but instead has several of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Refillable-Keurig-Brewers-1-Count/dp/B0051SU0OW. Maybe that would be an option for you; coffee on demand, but without the cost/waste of K-cups.

Keurigs are the apotheosis of waste.

The machines are absurdly expensive, but the real financial bleed is the per cup cost of using kcups. Absurd. And the refillables negate the "convenience."

The amount of physical (plastic) waste with kcups is obscene. Terrible for the environment and a waste of precious resources.

And for all the waste (financial and physical) what you get—at the end of the day—is really lousy coffee. Only "instant coffee" competes for the bottom of "brewing" quality options. The preground coffee is stale to start with, and is no way comparable to freshly ground brewed coffee.

A big waste.

Bill

I really wanted to like ours but in the end I have gone back to my old Mr. Coffee pot. Dh promised to lower his intake of pop if we bought one (which didn't last long). The cups really are expensive and the coffee tastes strange to me (and I don't really consider myself a coffee snob either). I could never get the reusable cups to work well. I even tried reusing the k-cups and covering them with foil and a rubber band, but at that point all of the convenience factor was gone and it was easier to just make a pot of coffee.

This Java Head is not impressed with the Keurig. The waste is atrocious, in my opinion. And the idea of keeping water in a reservoir for coffee brewing just strikes me as peculiar. Further, as stated previously, the coffee is just not that great.

I am really old school. I use a Chemex pot with a beautiful stainless filter, both American made...

The big difference that I can see between the smaller machines and the bigger ones is the water reservoir, and I don't see a need for being able to make 12 cups without refilling for just me.

I'm not sure which model we have, but it's one where you put in fresh water for each cup. I only use ours on camping trips, but I think the coffee is pretty dang good (some K cups are better than others). My coffee machine of choice is a Capresso, but that is too big and heavy to take on camping trips!

The machines are absurdly expensive, but the real financial bleed is the per cup cost of using kcups. Absurd. And the refillables negate the "convenience."

The amount of physical (plastic) waste with kcups is obscene. Terrible for the environment and a waste of precious resources.

And for all the waste (financial and physical) what you get—at the end of the day—is really lousy coffee. Only "instant coffee" competes for the bottom of "brewing" quality options. The preground coffee is stale to start with, and is no way comparable to freshly ground brewed coffee.

A big waste.

Bill

It just isn't a thread about Keurigs without Bill saying how much he hates them :D

We love ours. We use it ALL the time, buy our KCups in bulk from amazon and we have our refillable KCups to use when we want to use our fancy whole bean JamaicanBlue Mountain coffee. The convenience outweighs the cost for us, but that is a personal decision, of course. And our machine has lasted 2 years now, no issues at all.

I love mine. I have had it for several years. The refillable pod is great, and its still quite convenient. It still gives you that option of easily and quickly making that one cup vs. half a pot that will get dumped later. I think being able to do that is less wasteful than all the excess coffee getting dumped every day, and, IMO, helps offset some of the costs.

The K-cups are nice for special flavored coffees you wouldn't want to buy pounds of and not use quickly enough, and I'm sorry, but some of them are DARN good!

There are other types of machines that have water reservoirs, so I never have thought that to be strange. I like that from powering on to sipping coffee is under 3 minutes (it would be less than a minute to sipping if I left my machine on all the time, but I rarely use it later in the day, and it is easy enough to just turn it on later if I want to brew hot water for tea, or a cup of decaf).

I vote yes, but you CAN go with the more basic model that does 2 cup sizes and costs around $110.

Guest inoubliable

A big waste.

Bill

This. All of it. So much this.

Adding that every. single. person. that I know who has bought one of these machines has had it break within a year or two of using it.

Do you have an opinion on these? I am just not clear.

A big waste.

Bill

We've had ours for a year now and still love it. We aren't big coffee or tea drinkers so the coffee pot was always a big waste. Now this is tucked in a corner of the kitchen (couldn't easily do that with the old pot) and grabs cup here and there as we want.

We drink more tea and hot chocolate than anything and instant hot water for the tea bags is no waste.