Menu

Christmas gift ideas for 8 YO boy?

Woodhaven

I know, everyone is probably tired of answering questions like this, but I am in need of ideas for my 8 year old son.

While I like the idea of Thames and Kosmos I don't think any of those are right for him. He has a snap circuits set, and I could get him another one, but.... not sure. Chemistry sets for his age are pretty lame. We have enough family board games and I don't want to give him any electronic games or computer games. His legos tend to sit in their box most of the time or end up on the floor when his brothers use them.

He IS asking for Lord of the Ring Legos, but I am not excited about giving him more, though we may end up doing that.

He loves science and animals, but I can't seem to find anything that combines those interests. We have science DVD's and books (Usborn and such).

Have I exhaused all the good ideas and turned them down? What can you suggest? Should I revisit something?

Thanks!!

I have an eight year old boy. He is getting a sled, a hat, a smallish lego set, some Playmobil, a BB gun, a board game, an audio book, a book, things to decorate his room and a magazine subscription. I know that is a lot, but the toys and board game are the only things we are buying specifically for Christmas. Everything else would be purchased this winter anyhow.

He would love a sled, if we got snow - even just a few good snows around here. We don't have enough land for a BB gun - and we would have to go around to neighbors and get signatures saying they don't mind our kids playing with one....

Unfortunately, he and his brothers have Knerf guns he bought. The laser tag is a possibility. I'll have to look at bey blades. No pets. We travel too much and even though a hampster would be OK for a few days, our cats would be very intertested in it. Also, I would end up cleaning the cage and I already know what that is like!

Good ideas, though! Keep them coming. I wish we could get a hampster as they are so cute!!

He is the only one I haven't been able to choose something for - and he has a birthday right after Christmas!! I'll go back over these ideas again with my husband and see what he thinks.

Thank you very much for the ideas!!!!

Somebody at church today gave DS 8 a catalog for JM Cremp's, which I hadn't heard of before. It's billed as "The Boys Adventure Store". Some interesting stuff in there. Their website is http://www.jmcremps.com/.

Erica in OR

EVery mom of boys should have this catalog! Even if you don't order directly from them it is great for ideas.

My 8 yr old boy loves:

Legos, legos, legos. Can't go wrong!

Light up laser pegs at Target

Nerf guns

Erector set

Remote control cars/trucks. this year he is getting one called a rock crawler. climbs over rough terrain.

Flashlights, laser pointers

Card games

Camping gear

Pocket knife

Scooter

My 8yo boy would pick either weapons, sports equipment, or Playmobil. He's not a Lego lover, but he plays with Playmobil every day.

You know...another idea...Walmart is selling mini-pool tables. My 8yo bought one, and it has been a huge hit. He even hosted a mini-pool tournament at Thanksgiving. I think they have other options, but my ds liked the mini-pool table the best. It's about 2 ft x 1 ft and slides under his bed. The pool balls are the size of large marbles.

EVery mom of boys should have this catalog! Even if you don't order directly from them it is great for ideas. My 8 yr old boy loves: Legos, legos, legos. Can't go wrong! Light up laser pegs at Target Nerf guns Erector set Remote control cars/trucks. this year he is getting one called a rock crawler. climbs over rough terrain. Flashlights, laser pointers Card games Camping gear Pocket knife Scooter

Actually, we do have that catalog and it IS great! I should hand it to ds and tell him to circle anything that interests him!!

Since I have 4 boys, his older brothers already have a lot of stuff which they let him use or share with him, so he doesn't really need the same thing. He has a lot of Legos, but after building the set, the collect dust. : ( He has a few Nerf guns and dh doesn't want him to have more until something breaks. A remote control car - yes, he would like that, but I was hoping to find something "educational". Perhaps I should give up that dream. He is the only one who doesn't have his own pocket knife yet...

My 7yo boy will get a nitendo 3DS, Jr. metal detector, legos, magic kit, robot making kit, spy gear, nerd gun stuff, 3D star theater, celestial buddies, board games, DVDs, wii games, Mario chess set and a couple other things I can't remember right now. :)

My dh isn't excited about getting a DS of any kind right now. A robot kit.... perhaps. He is great at chess and competes regularly up and down the coast with his brothers. The boys play a lot of chess on-line as well.

My 8yo boy would pick either weapons, sports equipment, or Playmobil. He's not a Lego lover, but he plays with Playmobil every day. You know...another idea...Walmart is selling mini-pool tables. My 8yo bought one, and it has been a huge hit. He even hosted a mini-pool tournament at Thanksgiving. I think they have other options, but my ds liked the mini-pool table the best. It's about 2 ft x 1 ft and slides under his bed. The pool balls are the size of large marbles.

All my boys love football, but they don't need any equipment as they don't play on any teams. They just aren't built well for that game, but they love to play among themselves. We don't have room for a pool table at the moment with my IL's living downstairs - they use the rec-room as their living room. But good ideas. Thanks!

My 8 year old ds is getting a pair of rats!
Snap circuits? My ds8 loves those things!!

Snap circuits are great! He has a set which he loves, and takes out from time to time. But he really hasn't exhaused what he can do with it yet. So we're holding out on another one for a while.

Wow, your ds will be very pleased!! you must be a GREAT mom!!

My 8 year old is into rocks, so he is getting some geodes to break open. He also likes bird watching, so he's getting a bird id book. Some ideas no one mentioned yet.

I asked him about rocks and geodes, but he doesn't seem interested. Good idea, anyway. My eldest son loves rocks, but he is not the problem.

At that age, my son like vehicles of all kinds. At 16, he now has a very sizeable, and extremely heavy, collection of Matchbox cars. When he was that age, we got him the sets like garages and road sets.

Yes, my kids love Matchbox cars too. They set up all sorts of races and compete intheir own "BIG" events. But he doesn't need any more. Great idea, though!!

You know, I think my kids just have too many toys already!! That's why dh and I only buy ONE main gift each Christmas and each birthday. They don't get many gifts from other family members (grandma and grandpa give them $20. for birthdays) but no one else in the family but us give them gifts.

We also put up stockings filled with things like Mad Libs, and little science bags, or pens and such. They also get pajamas for Christmas, and we give one "family" gift that we can enjoy together.

But we do allow them to spend some of the money they win on themselves, along with their allowance. They buy cars and nerf guns and such. Sometimes they buy a new chess clock or something like that...

Thank you for all the ideas!!! You have given me some things to look into so I'm off to research and see what I can find! : )

My 7yo boy will get a nitendo 3DS, Jr. metal detector, legos, magic kit, robot making kit, spy gear, nerd gun stuff, 3D star theater, celestial buddies, board games, DVDs, wii games, Mario chess set and a couple other things I can't remember right now. :)

Can you share a link for the robot making kit??

I've got an 8-year-old and he's getting Legos, the Haba marble run, castle blocks, an erector set, books, a puzzle. If I wasn't out of money I'd get him the Snap Circuits light set. He loves his current set and I know he'd love this one too. I also like the green set and I have seen a car something or other too.

You mentioned that the Legos just sit there. I highly recommend the Lego Ideas book. My son LOVED this and it sparked an entire knew way to look at Legos for him. I'd maybe get this and some random Lego pieces rather than a set (maybe bulk off ebay or something).

Does he like to build forts? My son loves his fort kit - clothespins, removable hooks for the wall, suction cup hooks for the windows, light weight sheets & large silks (I put button holes in for easy hanging on hooks but you could also add ribbons/string to easily tie onto hooks).