Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything we should know about going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve? We plan on trying our local parish Sunday morning, but we all would also really like to go to the midnight mass.

I've been driving everyone crazy with all I've been reading, but the good thing is it has sparked some interesting discussion with older dd. I feel really good about where we're headed!

Midnight Mass is usually longer, maybe 1 1/2 hours, maybe a little more. It could be packed so go early. Our parish always has the choir singing carols for about 1/2 an hour before Mass. Plan to sleep in the next day. :)

Midnight Mass is usually longer, maybe 1 1/2 hours, maybe a little more. It could be packed so go early. Our parish always has the choir singing carols for about 1/2 an hour before Mass. Plan to sleep in the next day. :)

Thank you! I really like the idea of carols before Mass. I also really like the idea of sleeping in the next day! :D

What do you do during Adoration? Do you just sit and pray? Think and talk to God?

Yes, any and all of these. You can just sit and be, soak in His presence. Words aren't always necessary. Our chapel has a Bible and books about saints, books of litanies. Sometimes I sing. (I am almost always alone in there). My husband and I are sometimes together. We will pray the litany of saints together, maybe chant it.

First, thank you all for the prayers. Dh's school (and I believe the entire district as well as many of the surrounding districts) had been under cautionary security on Friday due to (unsubstantiated) threats of violence Friday. Though I knew logically things would be fine, I was still upset from the Newtown shootings as well as just overall on edge with the idea of something happening to him at work. Everything is fine; God granted me great peace (and texting dh a few times helped).

Secondly, I wish you all a very merry Christmas. :) The boys gave our priests and our parish sister their gifts this morning. They gave our priests each a gift card to the bookstore, but the favorite gift was ds9's to our parish sister - "Nun Bowling". She (and another sister who is, I'm not sure how to word it correctly, going through training but has not taken her final vows yet; she's kind of our 2nd parish sister) is so good natured and so sweet and absolutely loved the gift. :D

We went to our local parish today and it was a huge success. They use a Breaking Bread book which made it so much easier to follow along and understand things better. My oldest knew several kids there so she was excited about continuing. We also really like the Father. I've now inquired about RCIA classes, so we'll see where it goes. I'm also excited about attending my first midnight Mass tomorrow!

I miss midnight Mass. My kids do not handle being up past bedtime very well. We went to the Saturday evening vigil for the first time yesterday, and they struggled towards the end. Midnight Mass would be a mess. Maybe when they're older.

We never did midnight Mass with little kids either. Now that they are older, the twenty-somethings and older teens go to midnight Mass while we "old folks" go to the earlier Christmas Eve Mass. I would love us to all go together, but they wouldn't dream of not going at midnight, and dh is adamant about not staying up that late. We do watch "It's a Wonderful Life" together before midnight Mass. :-)

We went to our local parish today and it was a huge success. They use a Breaking Bread book which made it so much easier to follow along and understand things better. My oldest knew several kids there so she was excited about continuing. We also really like the Father. I've now inquired about RCIA classes, so we'll see where it goes. I'm also excited about attending my first midnight Mass tomorrow!

This is just so wonderful!

I am now sick. :sad: I can't believe it. I helped decorate the church this afternoon, then barely made it through the Reconciliation service and couldn't get back for evening Mass. I was just too ill. I don't know about tomorrow. :( We usually attend earlier in the evening, but our "Midnight Mass" is at 11PM.

"Merry Christmas," everyone!

Sugarfoot, so sorry to hear you're sick. Ds11 woke up this morning with a sore throat, cough/congestion, and a fever. He was really looking forward to Midnight Mass tonight, too. I hope you feel better soon.

Mommaduck, I read on the EO thread about what happened to your car. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this at Christmas, of all times. I hope and pray everything works out for you and yours.

I'm off to start a binge wrapping marathon and bake dh's b-day cake. Happy Holy Christmas to everyone!

We went to midnight mass at a rather large-ish parish and our youngest dd loved it. They had a choir singing the carols, she particularly enjoyed the alto that sang the solos (dd is an alto in choir, too) We were in awe as they brought in the Christ child and placed Him in the manger. Never saw that before. Dh said this will be our new tradition.

We went to midnight mass at a rather large-ish parish and our youngest dd loved it. They had a choir singing the carols, she particularly enjoyed the alto that sang the solos (dd is an alto in choir, too) We were in awe as they brought in the Christ child and placed Him in the manger. Never saw that before. Dh said this will be our new tradition.

That sounds lovely. Many people wait to put Baby Jesus in their home nativity sets until Christmas. Though I am a soprano, I love alto voices. So glad you had a wonderful experience at midnight Mass.

Ok, who else received Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Naratives? I'd love to discuss it and also Forming Intentional Disciples once the holidays are over. :)

I have to use my amazon gift card from db to purchase both. I'll join in as soon as they arrive.

What is a Roman Catholic? Dd might go to a catholic school next year for kindergarten. I'm so confused about the differences

Post number 163 will give a more complete answer. But basically there are six liturgical rites within the Catholic church at large. One of which is the Latin Rite in which the Roman rite is part of. This wiki page may be helpful too.

Just ordered a copy of Forming Intentional Disciples - it looks interesting! I think what's been getting me lately is the lack of support from our parish. We have the largest family in the church and live 15 miles away so we find it hard to participate. In addition dh and I are worn out from regular life which also prevents participating more. We could miss Mass for weeks and no one tries to find out why.

Post number 163 will give a more complete answer. But basically there are six liturgical rites within the Catholic church at large. One of which is the Latin Rite in which the Roman rite is part of. This wiki page may be helpful too.

Yes, Roman Catholic refers to the rite they use. Some Catholics are not even aware that there are other rites. Eastern, or Byzantine, Catholics celebrate the liturgy using an Eastern rite, though they are in union with the pope just like we are.

Question about these different rites, you say they are all in union with the pope, so do they have an open communion to other Catholics in union with the pope? According to what I am reading these eastern rites aligned themselves with the western (Rome) catholic church for different reasons. But the main point is that they aligned themselves. I know of a splinter (schismatic) group of Roman Catholics that came to be called 'Old Catholics' that broke off from Rome/pope after Vat I.

I am also reading about schismatic groups of Eastern Orthodox that broke off from their respective patriarchs and are not aligned with a recognized one, so they create their own patriarch/hierarchy.

So in the Catholic world the equivalent would be to set up a new pope. Are there catholic groups out there that have done that? It is nice to have the opportunity to experience a more 'eastern' liturgy in these Catholic churches yet still be in a 'safe' church, so to say. I am comforted that the Catholic church sees this as beneficial and not schismatic, or try to hide or condemn them.

Question about these different rites, you say they are all in union with the pope, so do they have an open communion to other Catholics in union with the pope?

Yes -- all properly prepared Catholics in a state of grace would be welcome to receive communion. A particular church's status should be clear from some combination of the signs out front, parish bulletin, and web site.

For Eastern Catholic churches in the USA, there's a parish locator here. The Ruthenian and Ukranian are the largest ones.

For the Traditional Latin Mass (which isn't considered a different rite, but rather a different form of the Roman Rite), approved liturgies would include those held in regular diocesan parishes, and those with priests from the FSSP or Institute of Christ the King, among others.

The others are smaller and less well known, at least in this country. Some of them are associated with specific religious orders, so you might find them in a monastery or convent.

So in the Catholic world the equivalent would be to set up a new pope. Are there catholic groups out there that have done that?

Yes, a few, but they're tiny... kind of the fringe of the fringe of the fringe. Each of them considers themselves to be the "true remnant," and all the rest of us to be schismatics (if not apostates). Their arguments have logical holes that you could drive a truck through (not least of which is that, given that there are multiple very similar groups, how would anyone choose between them? where is the Holy Spirit supposed to be in all this?), but apparently that doesn't bother some people. :001_huh:

Just finished the book and am crying.

"Because we have learned that in the absence of discipleship-centered Christian community, even the most independent and committed Catholics cannot flourish, and they begin to wither - and even leave." (p. 245)

This is what's been happening to my husband and me for a long time. We would never leave the Church, but that doesn't mean we make it to Mass or feel connected in any way to our parish. We have to move. We've wanted to for years, but we really really have to.

"Because we have learned that in the absence of discipleship-centered Christian community, even the most independent and committed Catholics cannot flourish, and they begin to wither - and even leave." (p. 245)

This is what's been happening to my husband and me for a long time. We would never leave the Church, but that doesn't mean we make it to Mass or feel connected in any way to our parish. We have to move. We've wanted to for years, but we really really have to.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If moving will fix it, then move.

:grouphug:

Confession time. I made it through chapter five before falling asleep and I realized something. I absolutely love God and believe in Hm with every fiber of my being, but I have a very hard time trusting Him. I fear something bad happening in order to help us grow in faith or, ironically, to trust Him more. Any more that tends to be a fear revolving around our dd and as irrational as it seems to me, I can't seem to get past it (I have some trust issues in general). I don't know how to get past that and fully trust God.

Confession time. I made it through chapter five before falling asleep and I realized something. I absolutely love God and believe in Hm with every fiber of my being, but I have a very hard time trusting Him. I fear something bad happening in order to help us grow in faith or, ironically, to trust Him more. Any more that tends to be a fear revolving around our dd and as irrational as it seems to me, I can't seem to get past it (I have some trust issues in general). I don't know how to get past that and fully trust God.

Fear is the enemy of faith. It gets in the way of everything, and love is what casts it out.

I also struggle with this. It is a carry over (even after almost 20 years) of believing that God blesses those who love him so suffering is a sign of not enough faith. Either God does not love me enough, or I don't love him enough. I know that is not true. Just look at how the saints suffer.

I think we get over it by walking through it, which, like salvation, is a lifelong processs. We practice suffering, like St. Therese talks about in her little way. We walk by faith through whatever we face, and we use it to grow stronger instead of weaker. We let God use our suffering. We yield to it and to Him.

We learn by doing, so we learn to trust by trusting, especially when it seems impossible to trust.

I think St. Therese, St. Faustina, and St. Teresa of Avila all give us good advice here. It is just so hard to follow it. We all want the suffering to end. But suffering is part of life, and it is part of being Christian. We can't "faith" our way around that.

We would never leave the Church, but that doesn't mean we make it to Mass or feel connected in any way to our parish. We have to move. We've wanted to for years, but we really really have to.

You have described THE problem we have faced in the protestant world. We use to cling to people (never the pastor or the leadership-they were too busy with the 'business' of the church) that we thought had more Bible knowledge or were mentor-types that could answer our questions or help us resolve issues. There is such a lack of discipleship and study in churches we sought para-church organizations. We see something in the ancient faith that we have been missing. But then having been to 5 different RC parishes we see not all are the same. We've also been to 4 different EO parishes.

The only one I do trust is God. I will finish my RC confirmation but do not know about committing to any church, ever again. I will finish the book study on the EO faith at an EO church or study the Bible there. Learning from both (EO & RC) and just wandering down the path and see where God leads me. Sounds so sad, but I am not as sure as St. Paul was when he was traveling sharing the Good News. He knew where the church was. I do not. Is it the gathered Christians? Is it an institution? I'd love some illumination.

Fear is the enemy of faith. It gets in the way of everything, and love is what casts it out.

I also struggle with this. It is a carry over (even after almost 20 years) of believing that God blesses those who love him so suffering is a sign of not enough faith. Either God does not love me enough, or I don't love him enough. I know that is not true. Just look at how the saints suffer.

I think we get over it by walking through it, which, like salvation, is a lifelong processs. We practice suffering, like St. Therese talks about in her little way. We walk by faith through whatever we face, and we use it to grow stronger instead of weaker. We let God use our suffering. We yield to it and to Him.

We learn by doing, so we learn to trust by trusting, especially when it seems impossible to trust.

I think St. Therese, St. Faustina, and St. Teresa of Avila all give us good advice here. It is just so hard to follow it. We all want the suffering to end. But suffering is part of life, and it is part of being Christian. We can't "faith" our way around that.

I love what you wrote (bolding mine). You made me think quite a bit, which then led to a great conversation with dh (he might not be Catholic, but he is surely sympathetic). I can look back and see so clearly the hand of God in my life, especially in those times of trial and suffering. And it has strengthened my faith tremendously. And so, maybe, it's not that I don't trust God. Looking back on my life, I don't know how I couldn't trust Him. But, I still give into the fear of the "other shoe" dropping. But, like you said where I bolded your words ... we walk through it with faith and know that when we are weak, He is strong.

Just reading the evening prayer in my Magnificat for the first time in a while and read Ephesians 3:14-19. St. Paul was speaking directly to me! The Lord heard me crying earlier today as my dh and I discussed the book and our situation and I know that He will help me become strong again. I've never felt as close to St. Paul as I do right now, knowing that he is kneeling before the Lord praying for me.

:grouphug: Cathmom, it's very good to hear that. How great our Lord is! And St. Paul has such wisdom to share with us. I hope his words keep helping you as you journey toward spiritual renewal.

With all the things that have been said, I wanted to add that devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is also a way to build our trust in God. For newcomers to the faith, or those of us not raised in a devout Catholic atmosphere, this idea can take some getting used to. But it's very simple. God knows that we are weak in our faith, so He gives us this beautiful mother whose role is to bring us closer to Him.

The importance of entrusting ourselves in a child-like way to the Blessed Mother is reflected in Bl. John Paul II's motto, "Totus Tuus" (which was taken from a famous prayer of Marian consecration by St. Louis de Montfort). Also well worth reading is the late Holy Father's encyclical, Redemptoris Mater. The theme of trust runs throughout this letter. I'll just quote a few lines... there are so many inspiring passages, it's hard to choose.

"Indeed, at the Annunciation Mary entrusted herself to God completely, with the 'full submission of intellect and will,' manifesting 'the obedience of faith' to him who spoke to her through his messenger."

"For it must be recognized that before anyone else it was God himself, the Eternal Father, who entrusted himself to the Virgin of Nazareth, giving her his own Son in the mystery of the Incarnation."

"Mary's motherhood, which becomes man's inheritance, is a gift: a gift which Christ himself makes personally to every individual. The Redeemer entrusts Mary to John because he entrusts John to Mary."

"Entrusting himself to Mary in a filial manner, the Christian, like the Apostle John,'welcomes' the Mother of Christ 'into his own home' and brings her into everything that makes up his inner life, that is to say into his human and Christian 'I': he 'took her to his own home.'"

"This filial relationship, this self-entrusting of a child to its mother, not only has its beginning in Christ but can also be said to be definitively directed towards him. Mary can be said to continue to say to each individual the words which she spoke at Cana in Galilee: 'Do whatever he tells you.' For he, Christ, is the one Mediator between God and mankind; he is 'the way, and the truth, and the life' (Jn. 14:6); it is he whom the Father has given to the world, so that man 'should not perish but have eternal life' (Jn. 3:16). (...) For every Christian, for every human being, Mary is the one who first 'believed,' and precisely with her faith as Spouse and Mother she wishes to act upon all those who entrust themselves to her as her children."

Ok, can we talk Epiphany? I love the idea of blessing the house and/or chalking the house. I read one thing that said you can sprinkle holy water in each room and then you chalk the inside of exterior doorways. Something else said you chalk the outside of exterior doorways. And dh didn't think we could bless the rooms with holy water without our priest. Help. :)

Ok, can we talk Epiphany? I love the idea of blessing the house and/or chalking the house. I read one thing that said you can sprinkle holy water in each room and then you chalk the inside of exterior doorways. Something else said you chalk the outside of exterior doorways. And dh didn't think we could bless the rooms with holy water without our priest. Help. :)

RC priests don't go around blessing the homes?

RC priests don't go around blessing the homes?

From what I understand, we can have our priest come bless our home, but that was where I was confused on the blessing on the Epiphany. We've been meaning to ask one of our priests (we have two) to come over for dinner and then a blessing of the house. I might have to ask them today or this week what that is all about. Sometimes I feel like even though I'm now officially a member of the "club" :lol: I still have so far to learn the secret handshake. ;)