Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I am reading this amazing book that really could use a better title...I mean, yes, that's what it's about, but it's so much more and once you start reading it the title is a bit underwhelming in comparison to the book.

Forming Intentional Disciples, by Sherry Weddell.

I was reading about it on the comments of Fr Longnecker's blog and then just decided to give it a read. Wow. It's about the catechism problem we have. I bought it because I have these little crack addled marmosets in 8th grade CCD (I call them crack addled marmosets with utmost affection) and me, not knowing the history of what has gone on for catechism on this side of the Tiber, I needed to find the pulse of what I was dealing with. It is JUST what I need. Frankly, I think it should be required reading for every Bishop, Priest and Catechist. It discusses the 'saved' aspect, though not in those terms, vocations, charisms, and the sacraments.

Anyway, if you are a catechist or teaching at your Parish, this is the book for you. I'm going to pass mine onto my priest.

So this is at least the third time I've heard about this book in about as many weeks, which tells me I probably am supposed to read it. ;) So I'm off to put it in my Amazon cart as I don't think dh would ever think of getting it for me, especially since I have mentioned the Holy Father's newest book quite a few times. :lol:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is at least the third time I've heard about this book in about as many weeks, which tells me I probably am supposed to read it. ;) So I'm off to put it in my Amazon cart as I don't think dh would ever think of getting it for me, especially since I have mentioned the Holy Father's newest book quite a few times. :lol:

I've asked for BXVI's book from my friend for Christmas. Maybe we ought to read it as a group.

I've asked for BXVI's book from my friend for Christmas. Maybe we ought to read it as a group.

That's a fantastic idea. I'd be surprised if dh doesn't get it for me only because every time we've been together and seen it, I've talked about how I want to read it. ;) But, if he doesn't, I plan on buying it. I really would like the whole "trilogy" of his books about Jesus, but I guess I'll start with just one.

I have a few questions. Hopefully, its ok to ask here. I've been drawn to the idea of trying the Catholic church for some time now, but dh was never really on board. He recently said he would go with me if it's what I really wanted.

Is there a specific church/parish you are supposed to attend?

If I go to the one closest to us, which mass is best to try first? The website lists one on Saturday afternoon and three on Sunday between 8-12.

I have no idea what to really expect as we've never been to any Catholic service, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is there a specific church/parish you are supposed to attend?

You can attend any where you want. I suggest trying the parish closest to you or going online to look at their bulletins to see which parishes have things that appeal to you.

If I go to the one closest to us, which mass is best to try first? The website lists one on Saturday afternoon and three on Sunday between 8-12.

Saturdays are often a little less formal, as are early morning Masses. But every parish is different. They may have different music styles and a different feel. Just pick a time that is good for you, and if that doesn't work, try another. :)

I have no idea what to really expect as we've never been to any Catholic service, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome!

And sorry this is in two posts. The ipad is not cooperating with me.

Vistors are always welcome. We ask that non-Catholics do not receive communion, as that is a sign of unity of faith and belief. We believe in the Real Prescence of Christ in the Eucharist (John 6). When everyone goes up for communion, you can either remain in your seat or go up with your arms crossed in front of your for a blessing.

The service will be very structured, with standing, sitting and kneeling. Just follow along and do what you feel comfortable with. The first part of Mass is centered around readings from Scripture. The second is centered around the Eucharist.

There is usually a Missal in the pew (a little book that has the order of service and the readings and prayers in it). This will help you follow along. You can also read ahead for the Mass you attend. Go to www.usccb.org, click on the Bible section and the calendar date for Mass. Saturday evening Mass will use the Sunday readings. You don't have to prepare ahead, but sometimes it helps to know what is coming.

Please feel free to ask anything you want!

Welcome!

And sorry this is in two posts. The ipad is not cooperating with me.

Vistors are always welcome. We ask that non-Catholics do not receive communion, as that is a sign of unity of faith and belief. We believe in the Real Prescence of Christ in the Eucharist (John 6). When everyone goes up for communion, you can either remain in your seat or go up with your arms crossed in front of your for a blessing.

The service will be very structured, with standing, sitting and kneeling. Just follow along and do what you feel comfortable with. The first part of Mass is centered around readings from Scripture. The second is centered around the Eucharist.

There is usually a Missal in the pew (a little book that has the order of service and the readings and prayers in it). This will help you follow along. You can also read ahead for the Mass you attend. Go to www.usccb.org, click on the Bible section and the calendar date for Mass. Saturday evening Mass will use the Sunday readings. You don't have to prepare ahead, but sometimes it helps to know what is coming.

Please feel free to ask anything you want!

Yes, this is good advice. If I were you I would also schedule a meeting with a priest, and find good Catholic books to read. The catechism of the Catholic Church would be a good place to start. It is very accessible. Another book that I love is The Faith Explained by Fr. Leo Trese. It is an older book but has been reprinted.

Welcome, and ask away!

Ok ... a question (or Pandora's Box, depending on your perspective :lol: ). We have been playing around in colonial and revolutionary America this past semester, just enjoying some good living books, mostly on people (which provide tons of information on events too). But, I wasn't sure if I wanted to move onto the early 1800s in January or move onto a history rotation (I do love chronological history and despite ds11 being in 6th grade, we have never made it through one cycle). So, I asked the boys today if they wanted to continue with Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, etc. or go back in time and start a full history cycle with ancient times. They all agreed ancient times.

So ... I have SOTW for ds6 (and ds9 as I think he'll enjoy it too). I also have the K12 Human Odyssey, which has tons of primary documents inside and seems fairly unbiased (I'll have to read more carefully certain parts, especially as we come to the Reformation) at least for ancient times. And, I was going to do a highlight of OT stories/readings for them woven into our studies. So, I was wondering how to put this all together and have two ideas:

History Odyssey by Pandia Press, Ancients Level 2. It wouldn't address the weaving in of the OT, but a good Bible timeline might help with that. It does have wonderful maps and some good writing prompts. I'd have to do some legwork as I wouldn't be using their recommended spine(s). But, I think I could utilize it was a resource for me planning assignments. Ds11 would be working through this; I already have Ancients Level 1 for ds9 and ds6.

Connecting with History Volume 1. I have never seen this and am not sure quite what to expect. But, it weaves the OT stories into the world history and seems to have a great supplemental booklist. I'm curious if it would allow me to use my own spine(s) and use their assignments/activities from the various units as we study that time/location/civilization.

Has anyone used Connecting with History? Or does anyone have a good Catholic Bible timeline or supplement that can help me weave the OT into our ancient times studies? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D This is mostly just to get us through ancient times. Once we get into the early 300s AD, I have Light Unto the Nations that can help guide our studies along with SOTW and the K12 books. Oh, and also, have anyone used/read The Old World and America? I truly don't think I need anymore history spines, but it does look interesting. :lol:

I am really fighting back envy here, so bear with me.

When I was on my way out of the Protestant world, but still in it, I used for my daily devotions the wonderful Magnificat. There is no parallel for this publication in the Orthodox world, and I really wish there were.

WELL, I was snooping around on Amazon last night and found that Magnificat has some publications on Kindle. The daily Advent supplement (2012) and the daily Lenten Supplement (2013) are only $0.99 each. A BUCK! And the Year of Faith (started in September) is $1.99. TWO BUCKS! I don't know if it is the same content as the paper product, and the art will certainly suffer by being on the Kindle, but the price is certainly a lot less, too, and the availability is GREAT.

I thought I would post this here for those of you with Kindles. I have my Orthodox daily prayer book on my Kindle and love having it there. A Kindle and a Candle, right? But I thought some of you might be interested in knowing about the Magnificat e-pubs.

Thanks for the heads-up! I have the Advent and YoF ones in paper copy already, but the bookstore didn't yet have the Lenten one, so I might just pick that one up for $0.99! They are wonderful resources, that is very true. :)

Ok ... a question (or Pandora's Box, depending on your perspective :lol: ). We have been playing around in colonial and revolutionary America this past semester, just enjoying some good living books, mostly on people (which provide tons of information on events too). But, I wasn't sure if I wanted to move onto the early 1800s in January or move onto a history rotation (I do love chronological history and despite ds11 being in 6th grade, we have never made it through one cycle). So, I asked the boys today if they wanted to continue with Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, etc. or go back in time and start a full history cycle with ancient times. They all agreed ancient times.

So ... I have SOTW for ds6 (and ds9 as I think he'll enjoy it too). I also have the K12 Human Odyssey, which has tons of primary documents inside and seems fairly unbiased (I'll have to read more carefully certain parts, especially as we come to the Reformation) at least for ancient times. And, I was going to do a highlight of OT stories/readings for them woven into our studies. So, I was wondering how to put this all together and have two ideas:

History Odyssey by Pandia Press, Ancients Level 2. It wouldn't address the weaving in of the OT, but a good Bible timeline might help with that. It does have wonderful maps and some good writing prompts. I'd have to do some legwork as I wouldn't be using their recommended spine(s). But, I think I could utilize it was a resource for me planning assignments. Ds11 would be working through this; I already have Ancients Level 1 for ds9 and ds6.

Connecting with History Volume 1. I have never seen this and am not sure quite what to expect. But, it weaves the OT stories into the world history and seems to have a great supplemental booklist. I'm curious if it would allow me to use my own spine(s) and use their assignments/activities from the various units as we study that time/location/civilization.

Has anyone used Connecting with History? Or does anyone have a good Catholic Bible timeline or supplement that can help me weave the OT into our ancient times studies? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D This is mostly just to get us through ancient times. Once we get into the early 300s AD, I have Light Unto the Nations that can help guide our studies along with SOTW and the K12 books. Oh, and also, have anyone used/read The Old World and America? I truly don't think I need anymore history spines, but it does look interesting. :lol:

I have Connecting with History V 2,& 3. It wasn't for us, but you may like it. It's like WTM, but it IS The spine of all levels, and you have three levels that spin off of it. In your level, 2? You would be using The Old World's Gifts to the New, which we LOVE. LOVE. It hits the high notes, it gives the kids a Catholic POV, and pegs to hang their knowledge.

My only complaint about the curric is that it's not very pretty. :D Yes, it should be beautiful.

I liked your comment but do you know how many books that I have already purchased and not finished. Shameful really. If you guys do this, have fun!

@justamouse, thanks for thinking of me. I still hate this new board. I can't find anything and lose track of threads so I avoid the boards.

Thank you all for the Gregorian links. I will look at them at little later. Swamped.

I did buy the leather cover for the Magnificant. So purty! I ordered it from catholiccompany.com

Have you been in a Lutheran church? Or an Episcopal one? If so, it might be like having deja vu. :laugh:

The liturgical Christian churches aren't so dissimilar in their Sunday practices...

Have you been in a Lutheran church? Or an Episcopal one? If so, it might be like having deja vu. :laugh:

The liturgical Christian churches aren't so dissimilar in their Sunday practices...

Nope. We've mostly done Baptist and non-denominational.

Does it matter which church we go to? There is one just 5 minutes away (really small), but the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is downtown (about 15 minutes away) and it's just gorgeous. They also have so much more information available online regarding youth and RCIA classes.

Also, are my dds going to feel way out of place or get funny looks if they mostly just sit and stare? Youngest is up for trying it out, buy oldest feels she'll be really out of place. Should we meet with a priest or someone before trying a service or just go for it?

Speaking of Vatican II, why was it necessary? Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that breaks down both Vatican Council I and II for me, in laymen's terms?

I don't have a site per se but Vatican I dealt with the infallibility of the pope. Vatican II was really broad and addressed a lot. Here is the class my kids and I are taking on Vatican II this year.

Basically we read the documents and the priest discusses it. There are audio links to his lectures.

Also, are my dds going to feel way out of place or get funny looks if they mostly just sit and stare? Youngest is up for trying it out, buy oldest feels she'll be really out of place. Should we meet with a priest or someone before trying a service or just go for it?

The first time I went, I took ds11 with me, which was surprising because he does not like to stand out at all. We sat in the back, though, which I think helped us both because there weren't many behind us to see that we didn't really know what to do, and we had the benefit of watching everyone in front of us.

Once we all got used to the service, we began sitting as close to the front as possible (the boys love to sit in the front pew if possible). They love to watch Father during Mass. Also, there are always people that stay in the pews during the Eucharist for one reason or another and I have yet to meet a Catholic that hasn't been overly welcoming to someone interested in the Church. :) I had debated visiting with a priest first, but ended up just going. My intention was to try a couple parishes nearby, but I loved the first one and never went anywhere else (it's not the closest to us, but we have four parishes within about 2.5 miles radius from us). Many blessings on your journey.

Also, you can request a sample of the MagnifiKid! It's a weekly "magazine" that is sent every month. It has all the responses and readings (just not the hymns), in an easy to follow along format. My boys are just so-so with it, but dh (not a Catholic, at least not yet ;) ) LOVES it. It really helped feel at home at Mass. Now he can say just about every response/prayer by heart.

Does it matter which church we go to? There is one just 5 minutes away (really small), but the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is downtown (about 15 minutes away) and it's just gorgeous. They also have so much more information available online regarding youth and RCIA classes.

Personally, I would go downtown first time. That way, your older dd would feel more anonymous. But that is great that you have a small parish nearby. That would likely be your official parish should you choose to join.

Be prepared for a very structured hour service (Mass). The first half is 3 readings from the Bible with some singing most likely. Halftime is the homily by the priest. Second half is the consecration of the Eucharist, distribution of Communion, Contemplation, and some more singing. Oh, and don't be surprised if some folks leave after Communion. It's frowned upon, yet some sort of crazy Catholic "right" for showing up every Sunday. ;) Sooner or later, everyone has to do it, but some folks make it a habit. :rolleyes: Add those to the few who really have to get somewhere and it can be very :confused: for a new person. "Should I stay? Should I go?" (You stay!)

Here's the pre-2011 rewording Order of the Mass. There's probably a post-2011 one available if you poke around online.

I don't have a site per se but Vatican I dealt with the infallibility of the pope. Vatican II was really broad and addressed a lot. Here is the class my kids and I are taking on Vatican II this year.

Basically we read the documents and the priest discusses it. There are audio links to his lectures.

Awesome! Thanks!!

When I was on my way out of the Protestant world, but still in it, I used for my daily devotions the wonderful Magnificat. There is no parallel for this publication in the Orthodox world, and I really wish there were.

WELL, I was snooping around on Amazon last night and found that Magnificat has some publications on Kindle. The daily Advent supplement (2012) and the daily Lenten Supplement (2013) are only $0.99 each. A BUCK! And the Year of Faith (started in September) is $1.99. TWO BUCKS! I don't know if it is the same content as the paper product, and the art will certainly suffer by being on the Kindle, but the price is certainly a lot less, too, and the availability is GREAT.

I thought I would post this here for those of you with Kindles. I have my Orthodox daily prayer book on my Kindle and love having it there. A Kindle and a Candle, right? But I thought some of you might be interested in knowing about the Magnificat e-pubs.

Thanks so much!

I agree, I would go downtown to the cathedral too, just because it will be big and you won't feel quite so strange, though really there will be no reason to feel out of it. The focus is all on the liturgy and not on the congregation. Usually the priest who presides greets people coming out of Mass. You can stop and and shake his hand and mention that you are not Catholic but are feeling drawn to exploring the faith. I bet he'll be very pleased and will direct you to someone who can help you.

I have a question, and I have been attending Mass for a few months.

How long is Mass supposed to be?

When I was younger and went with my friend, it was 45 minutes. At the parish I attend, it is 30. The weekday Mass is only 15.

Wow! Here it is an hour, in any parish I've been too. I'm in the Arlington Diocese. I've heard people on line say things like it's only 45 minutes but that is a really short mass in these here parts! Daily Mass can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 20 minutes. Most usually 30 minutes. Never been to one as short as 15! You all must pray faster where you live!

I have a few questions. Hopefully, its ok to ask here. I've been drawn to the idea of trying the Catholic church for some time now, but dh was never really on board. He recently said he would go with me if it's what I really wanted. Is there a specific church/parish you are supposed to attend? If I go to the one closest to us, which mass is best to try first? The website lists one on Saturday afternoon and three on Sunday between 8-12. I have no idea what to really expect as we've never been to any Catholic service, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No, you go to which ever one you want to go to. A long time ago there used to be a rule that one attended within one's area but that is now defunct. Priests are human and each have their own style. You may feel that one is more your style over another. Also, while each Catholic church will have the same liturgy and the same readings some are more traditional and some are more at the other end of the spectrum. Go where you feel most comfortable.

I don't think there is any best time for mass. Some people prefer earlier mass some later. If there is a specific family mass perhaps if you have small children they might like that one better.

I'd go and sit up front so the kids can see. Don't be alarmed if the bells ring during the consecration. That was one of the things that kind of freaked dh out the first time he went.

Nope. We've mostly done Baptist and non-denominational. Does it matter which church we go to? There is one just 5 minutes away (really small), but the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is downtown (about 15 minutes away) and it's just gorgeous. They also have so much more information available online regarding youth and RCIA classes.

At the cathedral the bishop will most likely be the one to say mass. It is ever so slightly different with the bishop as opposed to a parish priest. If you want more bells and whistles go to the bit church.

There may be one large RCIA group if you have a number of churches in a relatively small area.

No. They will be fine. Visitors are always welcome. Dh and I found that some parishes are more welcoming than others when we went to GA/AL at the end of summer. If you happen to be at one that likes to pinpoint visitors prior to mass and hand out prayer cards, just smile and nod and say thanks. (I wish someone would have warned us the first time it happened. LOL)

Come back and let us know which you picked and how it went. We will be happy to answer any questions about the mass that you might have.

Wow! Here it is an hour, in any parish I've been too. I'm in the Arlington Diocese. I've heard people on line say things like it's only 45 minutes but that is a really short mass in these here parts! Daily Mass can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 20 minutes. Most usually 30 minutes. Never been to one as short as 15! You all must pray faster where you live!

The bolded make me chuckle. I posted up thread about the older Priest at my parish who speed talks the whole service.

I'm in Western MA. I do not know if it is the norm or not here.

When I was younger and went with my friend, it was 45 minutes. At the parish I attend, it is 30. The weekday Mass is only 15.

I suppose it depends on how many are sharing in the Eucharist and how long winded the father's homily is. Those times sound like the extreme end of quick, but within the norm. You can always try a different parish if you want a longer mass. My current parish weekend mass is about 70 minutes.

An hour for weekend mass, 30 minutes for daily.

I can see both sides to a 15 min weekday--1. people gotta get to work, but 2. a 10 minute homily can be very uplifting.

There is one just 5 minutes away (really small), but the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is downtown (about 15 minutes away) and it's just gorgeous.

*swoon* Wow, that's gorgeous. (Our Cathedral is being repaired and I've never been. ) That is an amazing cathedral, I think it would be great to visit there the first few times, and I agree with nono, plugging into our local parish--if you can-- is a great thing.

It's ok if you're all looking around. Soak in the beauty.

Elizabeth, is this even with the younger priest whom you like? Are there a lot of people there?

I've never been to a Sunday mass that was less than 45 minutes and that was only once. Every other mass I've been to has been at least an hour long. Daily mass is usually 20-30 minutes.

The younger priest is a bit more like 35 - 40 minutes, but even then, it is usually about 35 minutes.

There are a lot of people. I am bad at estimating. Maybe 300? They use about 6 eucharistic ministers.

I suppose it depends on how many are sharing in the Eucharist and how long winded the father's homily is. Those times sound like the extreme end of quick, but within the norm. You can always try a different parish if you want a longer mass. My current parish weekend mass is about 70 minutes.

I do want a longer Mass, but this one is within walking distance and I do not drive.

One final question for now. Is there any big difference between the Saturday Vigil vs. the Sunday Mass? We will be downtown for The Nutcracker on Saturday night. I thought we could go early and attend the 5pm vigil and have dinner first. I am really looking forward to going but the rest of my gang is more reserved (some more than others), so I thought this might be a good way to start.

Patty Joanna, thank you so much for sharing this! I will check it out.

If it were me, I would go to the gorgeous cathedral, hands down, but go wherever you like. Maybe you could visit them both.

I was wrong. I have one more question, and I hope it doesn't bother anyone. Dh is willing to go but he's been the hardest sell. We were talking quite a bit tonight about this before he went to bed. Apparently, one of his biggest problems is saints. He admits he doesn't understand it but is uncomfortable with the idea of praying to them. Can someone share a link to information or a book that would be good for us/him to read about this? He said he will read anything, including the Kindle books mentioned before that I've already purchased. Thanks!

I was wrong. I have one more question, and I hope it doesn't bother anyone. Dh is willing to go but he's been the hardest sell. We were talking quite a bit tonight about this before he went to bed. Apparently, one of his biggest problems is saints. He admits he doesn't understand it but is uncomfortable with the idea of praying to them. Can someone share a link to information or a book that would be good for us/him to read about this? He said he will read anything, including the Kindle books mentioned before that I've already purchased. Thanks!

The first link is a full book. The last three are free downloads from Catholic Answers. I would start there, and move to the book, if need be.

Patrick Madrid's book: http://www.amazon.com/Any-Friend-Gods-Mine-Explanation/dp/096426109X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355459984&sr=8-1&keywords=Patrick+madrid+any+friend

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/saint-worship

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-intercession-of-the-saints

One final question for now. Is there any big difference between the Saturday Vigil vs. the Sunday Mass? We will be downtown for The Nutcracker on Saturday night. I thought we could go early and attend the 5pm vigil and have dinner first. I am really looking forward to going but the rest of my gang is more reserved (some more than others), so I thought this might be a good way to start.

That sounds like it would be great. I personally love going to Mass at the Cathedral. The Mass should basically be the same. Same readings. Sometimes the Saturday Mass is less formal in style of music and such. Sometimes the Sunday Mass has more altar servers and incense. It really depends on the parish.

Just an FYI for later down the road: as a Catholic, I would have to abstain from food and drink (except water) for an hour before Mass. So eventually, if you do decide down the road to cross the Tiber, you will end up doing what the rest of us do and go to dinner after Mass. ;)

It's not required to pray to the saints. The great thing about the saints is that they show us how it is done (to be a Catholic, a friend of God).

Just an FYI for later down the road: as a Catholic, I would have to abstain from food and drink (except water) for an hour before Mass. So eventually, if you do decide down the road to cross the Tiber, you will end up doing what the rest of us do and go to dinner after Mass. ;)

Can I get clarification here? I was taught that it was abstaining for 1 hour prior to receiving the Eucharist rather than 1 hour from the start of Mass. We tend to go at 10am, and we are lucky just to have everyone up, dressed, and out the door, so eating doesn't really happen. But to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask. ;)

I have Connecting with History V 2,& 3. It wasn't for us, but you may like it. It's like WTM, but it IS The spine of all levels, and you have three levels that spin off of it. In your level, 2? You would be using The Old World's Gifts to the New, which we LOVE. LOVE. It hits the high notes, it gives the kids a Catholic POV, and pegs to hang their knowledge.

My only complaint about the curric is that it's not very pretty. :D Yes, it should be beautiful.

I agree with the being beautiful. :) I appreciate your honestly about the program. It's cheaper than the History Odyssey, but they are both a bit expensive (especially for ebooks). Maybe I'll get the timelines they sell (both the children one and the adult one) and maybe buy the H.O. for now and see how that goes. I did buy The Old Worlds Gifts to the New. It sounds like a lovely book and maybe that spine will help keep our studies Catholic. :D

Can I get clarification here? I was taught that it was abstaining for 1 hour prior to receiving the Eucharist rather than 1 hour from the start of Mass. We tend to go at 10am, and we are lucky just to have everyone up, dressed, and out the door, so eating doesn't really happen. But to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask. ;)

Canon law is an hour before the Eucharist. I go to several different Masses, and the timing is always slightly different. I am just not always able to predict what an hour before communion is. So we fast an hour before Mass, just so I don't have to worry about it. It is probably scrupulous on my part, but it is how we have always done it.

I'm so excited for your family! For your DH, we don't pray TO the saints; we ask the saints to pray for us. It's like asking a friend to pray for you, only these friends are already in Heaven. :) It's a common misconception.

I love the Scott Hahn book, Any Friend of God's is a Friend of Mine.

Canon law is an hour before the Eucharist. I go to several different Masses, and the timing is always slightly different. I am just not always able to predict what an hour before communion is. So we fast an hour before Mass, just so I don't have to worry about it. It is probably scrupulous on my part, but it is how we have always done it.

Thanks so much for clarifying! Thankfully we only have two priests and I can pretty much set the time by them, so I know I'm safe if I don't eat anytime after the half-hour before Mass begins (which is why I don't tend to eat before 10am Mass :lol: ).

Thanks so much for clarifying! Thankfully we only have two priests and I can pretty much set the time by them, so I know I'm safe if I don't eat anytime after the half-hour before Mass begins (which is why I don't tend to eat before 10am Mass :lol: ).