Menu

Blast from the past/Easy homemade gift for girls

OrdinaryTime

So I just posted a picture of the first homemade Christmas gift I completed for my girls this year on FB and was shocked how many people recognized it from their childhood. Did any of you have the Gingham paper dolls growing up? I didn't know anyone else who had them growing up, but it seems they were pretty popular.

Anyway, I was really excited when I found them online here where you can print the dolls and clothes out for free. There is a second link at the bottom to another set of the Ginghams.

For my girls, I printed them on cardstock, then laminated them. Then I cut them out and put them on a self-adhesive roll of magnetic sheeting. Then cut them out again so the whole back of the dolls/clothes is magnetic. I found the roll of self-adhesive magnetic sheeting at Michaels for $10 a roll. It is pretty big and almost all the dolls/clothes from both sets fit on one roll since I had already cut them out and could place them really closely. It sounds very labor-intensive writing this all out, but it really wasn't that bad.

I was really happy with the results. They were much cheaper than magnetic doll kits I saw in stores, plus it brings back great memories from my childhood.

post-30834-0-54024700-1354240998_thumb.jpg

post-30834-0-54024700-1354240998_thumb.jpg

Maria,

Those look so great. How long do you think it took you to do this?

Thanks,

Kendall

Maybe 3 hours total. That includes printing, laminating, cutting, attaching to magnetic sheet, and then re-cutting. Basically, two chick flicks or one long saga movie. :-) That is for both of the doll sets (9 dolls, 55 dresses, plus accessories).

Maybe 3 hours total. That includes printing, laminating, cutting, attaching to magnetic sheet, and then re-cutting. Basically, two chick flicks or one long saga movie. :-) That is for both of the doll sets (9 dolls, 55 dresses, plus accessories).

Thank you! I looked at Michaels today and only saw narrow rolls of magnetic tape, maybe 1 inch at the widest. Do you know how wide the role was? I thought I might look at Hobby Lobby tomorrow and maybe even Lowes?

Did you use the larger size dolls that were on that link, the bottom set?

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll gather supplies and check out a movie!

Kendall

I printed one of the sheets out on my black/white printer and discovered that you must have used the larger ones. I found an 8 X 10 of the magnet stuff at Hobby Lobby for 2.99 (less 40% coupon) and one blog mentioned walmart. So I think that will work well. One blog writer had used a paper doll book and so she didn't need to laminate, but I like the gingham ones you did so much better.

Thanks for the great idea.