Menu

Hex bugs?

They are cool and we bought a few last year for stocking stuffers, too. However, at least for here, they

have a very, very short interest time. I just didn't see much you could really do with them past their

initial coolness factor.

Your mileage may vary since others apparentally buy stadiums and other things. Mine just weren't

interested for long anyway.

They are cool and we bought a few last year for stocking stuffers, too. However, at least for here, they

have a very, very short interest time. I just didn't see much you could really do with them past their

initial coolness factor.

Your mileage may vary since others apparentally buy stadiums and other things. Mine just weren't

interested for long anyway.

That's pretty much how it went here. My kids have a bunch of the Nanos and they are fun, but they don't play with them all that much anymore. The attraction lasted for about 3 days. ;)

My younger dd used her own money to get a remote controlled spider. It sits on her dresser.

:iagree:

They're fun and cool at first, but after about 10 minutes, they're already old news. My ds had both the regular HexBugs and the HexBugs Larva, and some sort of battle arena thing.

They sound a lot more interesting than they really are, and unless they are at the top of your kids' Christmas lists, I think your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Hmmm, thanks. I don't want junk around, so if they don't hold interest maybe I'll skip them. I don't want habitats around, I was hoping they could build temporary ones from blocks, playmobile, etc.

They could definitely build something that's just as good as the things you buy in the store. The problem with the HexBugs is that they pretty much do nothing but vibrate, which causes them to move around. It's fun to watch for a few minutes, but once you realize that they don't really do anything else, the magic is gone.

Hmmm, thanks. I don't want junk around, so if they don't hold interest maybe I'll skip them. I don't want habitats around, I was hoping they could build temporary ones from blocks, playmobile, etc.

My boys build hexbug mazes for their hexbugs using Legos. They like the glow in the dark hexbugs more than the ordinary ones. My younger loves and own the remote control one. They also "duel" with their hexbugs.

Kids Woot is selling the Hive Glow in the Dark set for $14.99 plus $5 shipping today. The deal just started, and it's good until midnight Central time tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's a good price, but I thought I'd mention it, in case you might want it. I have bought several things from Woot, and have been very satisfied with my purchases.

Here's a link: http://kids.woot.com/

I feel like my kids must just adore any toys, since I'm always responding that my kids love whatever toy is mentioned, but they do genuinely love hexbugs! Of course, we have lots of the habitat mazes which are really cool in and of themselves to put together in different ways and tier, and even my engineer father likes to play with them. There is all kinds of estimation of how far the bugs will fall and where they will land and when you prop them up with various other blocks, have the closing and opening doors, and battling stations, it makes for some really fun play. We also have little boxes that are their homes, and younger ds has named them all and cares for them like real pets, but yes, my kids love them. They wouldn't be nearly as cool of a toy without the maze habitats though.

My youngest son likes them. It's not something he plays with everyday, but something that comes out once in a while, like Playmobil. They are most fun when the kids have a good number of track pieces to build with. If one only has a few track pieces, it can be pretty boring. Right now, my son has a track set up where they fall off a cliff and then go on their way. LOL!

I am thinking about getting one for my older son. If we build mazes for them out of empty paper towel rolls with cut outs for viewing at the top, would the hex bugs be able to move in them? Do they need a perfectly flat surface? I am trying to come up with a way to get more play value out of them rather than buying a bunch of habitats.