Menu

Disney World at Thanksgiving - is it worth it?

SKL

We're looking into breaking up our vacation and doing Disney over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, if it doesn't break the bank.

Is the park enjoyable at that time, or is it too crowded to be any fun?

Would it be better or worse to go over the break between Christmas and New Year?

It will be less busy at Thanksgiving than at Christmas, but even Thanksgiving will be swamped. I'd avoid both, but I can't stand crowds. Think 45+ minute waits for everything and some rides will be at least an hour or more. It is great to see it all decked out for Christmas though. We live here so we go at leisure during the "down" times.

Good luck,

It was the second most crowded time I've ever gone. The most crowded was Fourth of July.

If you go, go when the park opens and plan on staying. Once you leave, you may not be able to get back in because the park will be "at capacity".

We ate Thanksgiving dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. The food was delicious! If you plan on going, call NOW to try and get a reservation. :)

We're looking into breaking up our vacation and doing Disney over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, if it doesn't break the bank.

Is the park enjoyable at that time, or is it too crowded to be any fun?

Would it be better or worse to go over the break between Christmas and New Year?

Christmas - New Years is the busiest week of the year. Thanksgiving is the next busiest. If you could go the week before Christmas that would be good. Until Christmas eve the crowds are tolerable. When we go for Christmas we always go the week before and leave on Christmas Eve to our In-Laws in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanksgiving crowds are horrible. EasyWDW.com has crowd calendars. Christmas is worse.

Is there any way you can go off season?

:iagree: And you don't have a hope in you know where of getting a sit down reservation anywhere in the park on Thanksgiving Day at this point. Least of all Liberty Tree Tavern (my favorite spot for lunch). You need to get that ressie made at the 180 day mark for a holiday meal like Thanksgiving. Go another time. Seriously, the crowds are ridiculous!

For us, the best time was always right after T-Giving weekend. Literally: we got there one year on Friday/Sat after Thanksgiving (we left home after eating T-Giving dinner, we drove): parks mobbed you could not move. By Monday we had the place to ourselves.

That's just our experience anyway. We've been several times in the "quiet" right after Thanksgiving, yet not too close to Christmas. That seemed just right.

~coffee~

The 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks have traditionally been the slowest times of the year. No one takes vacation while hurrying to get busy for Christmas!

Unfortunately, I would have to go alone with the kids because DH's work is very busy during that 3 week period with end of year tax stuff, but one fo these years I just may do it.

Dawn

For us, the best time was always right after T-Giving weekend. Literally: we got there one year on Friday/Sat after Thanksgiving (we left home after eating T-Giving dinner, we drove): parks mobbed you could not move. By Monday we had the place to ourselves.

That's just our experience anyway. We've been several times in the "quiet" right after Thanksgiving, yet not too close to Christmas. That seemed just right.

~coffee~

Both of those times will be very crowded and expensive; weather is nicer in November.

I myself would go to great lengths to go at a less busy time, but my brother & s-i-l love to go at holidays. They say it's workable because staffing and rides are at full capacity and the hours are longer. They enjoy the atmosphere of a crowded park and think that the customer service aspects are better.

The 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks have traditionally been the slowest times of the year. No one takes vacation while hurrying to get busy for Christmas! <snip>

We do! We're heading there after Thanksgiving, woot! The Sunday will be our first and most crowded day, so we're breaking our Magic Kingdom first tradition and going to Animal Kingdom that day.

One year we went pretty close to Christmas, returned home December 19, and that was insane. More crowds than we are used to, and pretty frantic getting home that close to Christmas.