Menu

Furniture ideas wanted for guest & adult children in large families

merry gardens

I'm looking for furniture and decorating ideas. How to other large families handle sleeping arrangements when adult children return home for holidays and breaks?

Bedrooms space is in short supply here: four bedrooms with eight children/six children live at home. We re-arranged bedrooms when the older kids left. When they come home, they prefer to sleep in the basement family room rather than their former bedrooms.

They like to sleep in the basement when they come home, which is where we do the majority of our homeschooling. The fold-out couch there is yucky; both my older kids prefer sleeping on the other sofa or even a chair rather than it. I want to replace it with something. Whatever we I replace it with needs to fit our homeschool classroom. I'm thinking about perhaps a daybed with a trundle, or a couple of chairs that folds out to twin beds, or perhap bed lofted with desks underneath. I don't really know. I know I don't want our homeschool classroom to look like a spare bedroom, but I want my older children to feel like they are welcome and not sleeping in a classroom.

Any ideas?

I just bought one of those air mattresses that inflates to regular bed height. It's VERY easy on space and comfortable to sleep on. Also guests van easily add or remove air to suit their own comfort level.

This is what we use for our guest bed too. Currently, it is blown up in the living room. That does lead to some lack of privacy for guests though.

If the air mattress idea doesn't sound great, I would consider a futon that converts to a couch during the day. These look great and are very comfortable.

I actually slept on ours during the hurricane. It was much more comfortable than any futon or sofa bed I've slept on. Even the 'good' sofa beds are uncomfortable to me. My hip bones always find the metal bars. Of course, now that I think of it, a sofa in the school room would be nice and cozy :-)

I have a studio that's mainly an empty room for dancing. When I have company, it becomes a spare room. Sometimes ALL the kids want to sleep down there together and we fill it with air mattresses (they last for years and are probably cheap right now). If I put an adult in there, I hang curtains across the doors with tension rods for privacy.

How handy is your DH? Would he build you a Murphy bed? Those fascinate me, but they do take up the wallspace of two bookcases.

If you want to think entirely out of the box, just install hammock hooks into your wall studs :-). A relative did this and the kids hapilly turned their rooms over to the old people for a chance to sleep on the hammocks.

Air mattresses are a great solution for young adults, but something to consider is that the next season of your children's lives might involve them visiting with a pregnant wife and/or while they're co-sleeping with a baby (if your future daughters-in-law choose to do so).

During pregnancy, I find it hard to get off of a low air mattress; the higher ones would probably be fine. But I would not consider an air mattress a safe surface for co-sleeping. I have slept on a low air mattress with the baby on a crib mattress next to mine, and that worked out fine. So anyway, I would either work some of those considerations into your plan, or be prepared to work out another solution down the road.

FWIW, I've had good experiences with Intex brand air mattresses -- I like the ones with the velvety tops. My grandmother has had hers for years with no leaks, and we have one now and are very happy with it. We slept on it for a month or two straight after we lost our bed in a fire.

If you want to think entirely out of the box, just install hammock hooks into your wall studs :-). A relative did this and the kids hapilly turned their rooms over to the old people for a chance to sleep on the hammocks.

What a cool idea!

I agree that air mattresses tend to be more comfortable than futon or sofa bed mattresses. (I think that's what you were saying.)

For years we have had a bi fold sofa bed. It has a proper bed mattress and a slatted base under the mattress so it's just the same comfort wise as a bed.

Another idea wuld be a folding bed. We have one of these and just tuck it away when it's not in use,it is slid under my son's bed at the moment. The mattresses are really comfy.

I just bought one of those air mattresses that inflates to regular bed height. It's VERY easy on space and comfortable to sleep on. Also guests van easily add or remove air to suit their own comfort level.

I used to sleep on an air mattress at my dds when I went to visit. It was one of those areo beds and it was extremely comfortable, especially if you are sleeping by yourself. You can make it as firm as you would like amd it really does feel like you are sleeping on air.

Not compatable with cats!

I'm looking for furniture and decorating ideas. How to other large families handle sleeping arrangements when adult children return home for holidays and breaks?

Bedrooms space is in short supply here: four bedrooms with eight children/six children live at home. We re-arranged bedrooms when the older kids left. When they come home, they prefer to sleep in the basement family room rather than their former bedrooms.

They like to sleep in the basement when they come home, which is where we do the majority of our homeschooling. The fold-out couch there is yucky; both my older kids prefer sleeping on the other sofa or even a chair rather than it. I want to replace it with something. Whatever we I replace it with needs to fit our homeschool classroom. I'm thinking about perhaps a daybed with a trundle, or a couple of chairs that folds out to twin beds, or perhap bed lofted with desks underneath. I don't really know. I know I don't want our homeschool classroom to look like a spare bedroom, but I want my older children to feel like they are welcome and not sleeping in a classroom.

Any ideas?

check out this couch/bed/storage thing...we fell in LOVE with it at Ikea. (we bought different stuff because we had different needs, but this thing is awesome, and SOOOOOOO easy to convert to a bed. Seriously, we were in awe). And the added storage is GREAT. You could just store the linens for it in there, or homeschooling stuff, toys, whatever. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30213953/