Menu

Car booster seats in Europe - questions!

We are leaving for Belgium on the 5th. Should I take the girls' booster seats with us? Dare I check them in, since we can't use them on the plane? Or should I get them from the rental car company? We will be there 6 days (too short, I know :( ).

TIA!

My parents lived in Belgium for quite a while, and now live in England. You will definitely need booster seats while you are there. If it's possible, they are probably even more conservative in Europe about it than the US.

Whenever I go, I check the carseats. Usually the airline will give you a big, clear heavy duty plastic bag to put them in and seal them up. Make sure all straps, buckles, and loose cushions are secured. Anything flapping around is going to get damaged, even when inside the bags.

Might be worth checking with the airline though. One time we flew with an airline that we didn't typically travel on and they did not use those big bags. The seats were loose and I wasn't sure we'd get them back, or in one piece. :001_smile: After that I brought my own bag just in case.

Keri mentioned that Europe may be even more conservative than the US with regard to car seats; that's not my experience, but perhaps it's the case in Belgium. If I were you, I'd just forego boosters altogether, given your daughters' ages. If you really feel uncomfortable with that and can get seats from the auto rental agency, go that route. Saves you the trouble of having to check your own seats and the concern that those seats go missing. When we were flying back home after our last visit, Kai's seat didn't arrive. That was a bit of a pain.

"Passengers/children in cars: Children under 18 and less than 1.35m must use a suitable child-restraint system whether seated in the front or rear seat of a vehicle."

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html?mySelect=%2Fmotoring_advice%2Ftouring_tips%2FAA_Belgium.pdf&go.x=45&go.y=9&go=Go!

Laura

I would also check that they will be treated as fragile items ALL the way.

I've been out the back of airports and what happens to suitcases out there is waaaay worse for your seat than a car accident.

Personally I'd hire them with the car, that way you know your's aren't going to get mistreated out the back of the airport.

Can you take backless boosters and put them in a rigid suitcase?

Laura

:iagree:

This is exactly what I was thinking! Of course if you can afford the rental on the seats that's great but check on the cost ahead of time. When we went on one trip it cost more than we would have paid for extra baggage to rent the seats.

If you will be in a car and you want your kids in seats bring/rent them...the roads in Europe aren't safer than in the US. (Ok-I didn't check the statistics but being on vacation doesn't make the kids any safer.)

Another problem with renting is that some rental companies don't guarantee that they will have boosters available when you arrive. Buying a booster in Belgium may actually be cheaper than renting, but may not be how you want to spend you time......

Laura

If it's a backless booster (which I would think would be ok at your girls' age) you can take it on the plane. We just did this when we traveled in June. Ds just sat on the booster on the plane. You may even be able to take it on the plane if it's a booster with a back (and if it's thin enough to fit on the seat) ...check the airline.

We alos rented a car seat for our younger son from the rental car company (this was in the US so not sure if it's different in Europe). They did say online that they don't guarantee availability but we called and they said in reality hardly anyone rents them. Then we called the night before we left to see if they had actually had them in stock. They had a bunch, so we felt pretty confident that they would have one when we arrived the next day. It was a tiny risk but worth it not to have to worry about checking his big car seat.

Can you take backless boosters and put them in a rigid suitcase? Hobbes still uses a booster, and I'm packing it in a case when we move to Scotland.

Laura

We have high back boosters. One twin is in a panic because she can't use her harnessed seat on the plane and that we are not taking it on the trip. They are so accustomed to the harnessed seats, they don't like the boosters. She would really freak out if I put her in a backless booster. She is quite petite anyway, and I would not feel comfortable either.

Thanks, ladies, for all the great responses. Renting the seats would be well over $100, so I am not going that route. I think I am going to check the boosters. They are high back, so I can't put them in my suitcase. I am opting for our boosters instead of our harnessed seats just in case they get lost or broken, I won't be out a small fortune.

One twin is very slight and does not like being in a booster. She is also concerned about being on the plane with no carseat. I don't want to make her feel even less secure during our stay by using backless boosters (nor do I want to put them in less safe seats).

Thanks for all the input. Maybe I will buy some big clear bags, in case the airline does not provide them.

Thanks, ladies, for all the great responses. Renting the seats would be well over $100, so I am not going that route. I think I am going to check the boosters. They are high back, so I can't put them in my suitcase. I am opting for our boosters instead of our harnessed seats just in case they get lost or broken, I won't be out a small fortune.

One twin is very slight and does not like being in a booster. She is also concerned about being on the plane with no carseat. I don't want to make her feel even less secure during our stay by using backless boosters (nor do I want to put them in less safe seats).

Thanks for all the input. Maybe I will buy some big clear bags, in case the airline does not provide them.

Brigitte, why in the world won't they let you have a carseat on the plane? I've never heard of such a thing. Is it the age, or what?

When we went to Europe last summer, we brought backless boosters for my 9 and 6yo dds. I put one each in a duffle along with a down sleeping bag, which offered a lot of padding. We went to Germany, where children are expected to be in boosters till at least 12yo. They are more strict there (at least in Northen Europe, where you're going).

If your dds are still in 5-pt harnesses, you can bring those on the plane and strap them into the seat with the lap belt. They will not let you bring belt-positioning boosters of any kind on the plane to sit on, as they are only for belts with shoulder belts, and planes only have lap belts.

When we used to bring the high-back boosters (without the 5-pt harness), we put them in rigid suitcases and packed clothes around them. Although they do have fabulous car seats in Europe, I would bring my own if I were you - I wouldn't trust ones from the car-rental place (who knows what you end up with - they're not necesssarily stocking the Britaxes)? - and with the Euro being what it is, buying them is prohibitive and what do you do with them at the end of the trip?

Brigitte, why in the world won't they let you have a carseat on the plane? I've never heard of such a thing. Is it the age, or what?

The seats for extended harnessing rarely fit in the airplane seat. They are BIG. Also, the kid is left with no leg room and is constantly kicking the seat. So, that is why we are not bringing the harnessed seats on the plane. I have also heard that kids over 4 need to be in the seat, per the airlines, but I have not confirmed that.

When we went to Europe last summer, we brought backless boosters for my 9 and 6yo dds. I put one each in a duffle along with a down sleeping bag, which offered a lot of padding. We went to Germany, where children are expected to be in boosters till at least 12yo. They are more strict there (at least in Northen Europe, where you're going).

If your dds are still in 5-pt harnesses, you can bring those on the plane and strap them into the seat with the lap belt. They will not let you bring belt-positioning boosters of any kind on the plane to sit on, as they are only for belts with shoulder belts, and planes only have lap belts.

When we used to bring the high-back boosters (without the 5-pt harness), we put them in rigid suitcases and packed clothes around them. Although they do have fabulous car seats in Europe, I would bring my own if I were you - I wouldn't trust ones from the car-rental place (who knows what you end up with - they're not necesssarily stocking the Britaxes)? - and with the Euro being what it is, buying them is prohibitive and what do you do with them at the end of the trip?

Yes, my girls are still in 5 pts, but they are the extended weight/height seats, so they are really big. They are too wide for the airplane seats.

I totally agree about not renting the seats. Who knows what other people have done to them?! Our boosters are Britaxes with SIP, so I know they are safe, but they are bulky. I don't know that they would fit in a suitcase. I will investigate....:D