Menu

How do you package your gifts of Christmas cookies?

We give a lot of people Christmas cookies, mostly people who somehow care for my disabled dd. This will probably be about 8-10 teachers and aides at her school, her bus driver, her physical therapist, and I don't know who else I may be forgetting. I've been doing a dozen cookies (a mix of recipes) on a festive paper plate inside a holiday gallon size ziploc bag. It looks nice and seems to be about the cheapest solution, but they're not exactly easy to carry and I'm just wondering what other people do. Does anyone use the holiday disposable tupperware-type food containers? I'm wondering if the quart size would hold a dozen cookies? Gift bags seem a little pricy. Other ideas?

I've put cookies in a box with waxed paper (the way you might use tissue paper inside a gift) then tied the box with a ribbon or with a strip of pretty wrapping paper wrapped around. A dollar store should have plain gift boxes in multipacks. They might even have some that have cute patterns.

You also might want to ask at your grocery store's bakery department. They might be willing to give you or sell to you some of their clear 'clamshell' boxes. I suggest deciding on exactly which box would work and then taking one up to the bakery manager and asking 'is there any way you can give me or sell me 12 empty containers like this?' I've never been asked to pay BUT it has always been for a fundraiser bake sale that I've asked.

I second the gift box idea. I have found other options at the dollar store or craft stores, but they always seem to run at least $1 per container which can add up. If your box is larger and going to be very full, I usually add an extra piece of cardboard to the botton and then put parchement paper over it to set the cookies on. Then I tie it up with a big, fun ribbon. I have also seen people just use tissue paper, my only issue with that is it absorbs grease which I think detracts from how nice it looks.

My mom always lined gift boxes with doilies, so that's what I have always done. She made many different kind, though, so there would be rows of different kinds of cookies in the boxes, and it looked really pretty.

For some occasions, I have also just bought a cheap tray at the dollar store and arranged the cookies, covered with saran wrap, and put on a bow. Here is pre-wrapping:

post-11849-13535087826878_thumb.jpg

post-11849-13535087826878_thumb.jpg

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

I've never done this but saw it on pinterest and thought it was clever. Pringles containers wrapped in Christmas paper and tied with ribbon. I'm going to try it this year for my gift cookies.

67272588153409314_blyRal1Q_c.jpg

I love this idea! My boys are going to be happily eating Pringles the next few weeks. (Did you all know Pringles are not gluten-free?)

I've never done this but saw it on pinterest and thought it was clever. Pringles containers wrapped in Christmas paper and tied with ribbon. I'm going to try it this year for my gift cookies.

Ooooh, great idea!

If you use a coupon, you can get really pretty (and fairly sturdy) cardboard boxes from Michaels that don't cost a whole lot. Put the different flavor cookies in separate plastic baggies inside the box.

We have done this. They have Christmas versions of something like this (they come in different sizes):

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=934958A6-423B-522D-F8F2A48C212712C2

I have also purchased chargers like this:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/silver-leaf-plate-charger-527663/

I put the goodies in Christmas muffin and candy cups, wrap in plastic and decorate with a bow. Last year I made pistachio brittle, various cookies, Turkish Delight, fudge, etc.