Menu

Standardized tests question

I would like to test my kids to see how they compare against other children nationally. I have to submit standardized scores at least once a year to our cover group. I wanted to test twice a year just to see how they are doing. (This is important to me as well).

Any suggestions on which tests would be easy (and inexpensive)? By easy, I mean online testing or testing that could be set up easily, I don't mean an easy test where they would score well.

I would like to test my kids to see how they compare against other children nationally. I have to submit standardized scores at least once a year to our cover group. I wanted to test twice a year just to see how they are doing. (This is important to me as well).

Any suggestions on which tests would be easy (and inexpensive)? By easy, I mean online testing or testing that could be set up easily, I don't mean an easy test where they would score well.

I am just curious as to why you want to test twice a year? In a traditional school setting, students are typically only tested once a year, at most (sometime even less than that, as I think some states only require testing at certain grades).

We have done the Stanford and the ITBS, but I have signed up to do it through either a local private school or our homeschool group. I write the check and drop them off for testing and enjoy the morning off. That's pretty easy, but if you want to administer it yourself, I'm no help there.

I am just curious as to why you want to test twice a year? In a traditional school setting, students are typically only tested once a year, at most (sometime even less than that, as I think some states only require testing at certain grades).

We have done the Stanford and the ITBS, but I have signed up to do it through either a local private school or our homeschool group. I write the check and drop them off for testing and enjoy the morning off. That's pretty easy, but if you want to administer it yourself, I'm no help there.

I'm a worrier. If I test around Christmas and see that they aren't on grade level, then either they don't test well or I'm not doing something right.

We pulled my youngest out of school last year due to anxiety. My personal opinion is that she is doing well in every area (and above grade level in reading) other than math. She has never had standardized testing and I'd like to see how she's doing before having to turn in a score for her. My middle daughter started home-schooling this school year and I'm nervous about how she is doing. Her last standardized test score put her in the top 3% for reading and top 2% for math nationally. I realize these scores change over time, but I'd also like some reassurance that she's still performing to her potential under my instruction.

I plan to turn in their test scores when they test in April or May (at the end of the year) and will go through a local private school for testing.

I don't think I will always test twice a year, but I will this year.

I have used the Stanford 10 in the past. Parents can test their own children IF they also test 2 non-related children at the same time. I plan on using the ITBS this year. Parents can test their own children. I would check on the "rules" before you choose a test. I think the Stanford and ITBS are only allowed to be given once a year. Not real sure though. I usually purchase the test through BJU Press. Oh, ABEKA Testing offers the Stanford 10 online. Anyone can administer it.

Do you have a degree? If so, I really like the ITBS. I get it from BJU Press and administer it at home. The best part for me is the detailed results. It's really easy to give, and I have found the questions to be relatively fair, not "tricky" like some others.

One thing to consider is making test conditions just the same each time. So, time of day, setting (home vs somewhere else), breaks, etc., ideally, should be the same or similar. Personally, I would reconsider taking the test at a school in the spring if you can't do the same now.

We do the ITBS through Bob Jones once a year in early January, because it works for us that time of year. (You need a bachelor's degree to home-administer.)

I will quickly add that you should absolutely do SOME test prep with the children beforehand. Homeschooled kids have little experience with all the little rules, timing, and even sitting in a desk! Spectrum Test Practice and Scoring High are the two workbooks we've used over the years.

The ITBS is a nationally normed test, with about 10 1/2-hour sections (I'm guessing here), which we spread out over several days here at home. It's also good practice for ALL of you, as you will eventually face the ACT test. :glare:

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that they may only be allowed to take certain tests once a year. I hadn't thought about that aspect of testing.

The OLSAT is what my middle daughter has taken in the past and what is typically used around here when testing (along with state tests but they are truly a joke and tell nothing about a child). I should also add that testing is not a requirement for homeschoolers in our state - we only have to take attendance. The testing is a requirement for our cover group but they aren't picky about it.

I do have a bachelor's degree.

For up to 8th grade I like the PASS test by Hewitt https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Testing/tMain.aspx

This test is designed for parents to give their children.

:iagree: I've used the PASS, and also used the CAT from Seton.

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that they may only be allowed to take certain tests once a year. I hadn't thought about that aspect of testing.

I think the PASS is allowed to be given twice a year. For the CAT, you can request your child be scored against fall norms, which is handy if you are testing at the beginning of a grade.

I like the PASS test but my kids are 2nd and 5th grade. PASS doesn't have a 2nd grade test.

You could call Seton and ask if the CAT can be given twice a year. Sine they offer fall and spring norms, it is possible the test could be given more than once a year. They are great about answering the phone.

I didn't have to test two other kids not related. I could just test my dd. Where are you finding that requirement for the ITBS?

Just wanted to add that, if I really wanted to know where my kid was academically, and standardized testing was not required, I would just use the tests offered in my curriculum, not a standardized test. If you are using a grade-leveled curriculum, then the tests in it (or making one using material from it) would show if kiddo is on grade level.

Because of differences in scope and sequence in various curricula, sometimes standardized tests are really THAT standard. Look, for instance, at social studies sections--We did SOTW 1 in first grade, but our standardized test didn't cover any ancient history. Our scope and sequence was different.

There really isn't a standard for every single item and every single grade.

I didn't have to test two other kids not related. I could just test my dd. Where are you finding that requirement for the ITBS?

Just wanted to add that, if I really wanted to know where my kid was academically, and standardized testing was not required, I would just use the tests offered in my curriculum, not a standardized test. If you are using a grade-leveled curriculum, then the tests in it (or making one using material from it) would show if kiddo is on grade level.

Because of differences in scope and sequence in various curricula, sometimes standardized tests are really THAT standard. Look, for instance, at social studies sections--We did SOTW 1 in first grade, but our standardized test didn't cover any ancient history. Our scope and sequence was different.

There really isn't a standard for every single item and every single grade.

I found it here:

http://www.bjupress.com/testing/terms-conditions.php

Apparently it started at some point in 2012.

I will need a standardized test at the end of the year for our cover group. OLSAT was the one suggested but there is flexibility if we want something different.

You do NOT have to do the two non-related children in the same grade for the ITBS--that's a requirement of the Stanford folks, has been for YEARS. The Stanford is also set up that you can't test multiple grades at the same time, unlike the ITBS. I can test grades 3-8 all at the same time with the ITBS, as the tests are timed the same. That's handy for me, as I test anywhere from 1-20 kids at the same time. Another test to look at if you're giving the ITBS is the CogAt. It's often used to place children in G/T programs. While you don't want to set up a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you have a suspicion that you're dealing with a child way into the gifted spectrum, it can give you some insight.

Thanks for clarifying that aspect of the test. But, I would still have to have two more non-related kids test at the same time, right?

My middle daughter tested as gifted in public school and we strongly suspect our youngest is gifted as well. Thanks for the suggestion of the CogAT.

FYI for anyone following along.... :)

From Seton:

We have available the CAT, the IOWA and the TerraNova/CAT 6 (TerraNova test available next Monday).

Most achievement tests let you test twice a year, once as a baseline and once as end of year test. Most tests require you to at wait at least 3 months in between testing times. These 3 tests have these requirements.

Please go to our website at www.setontesting.com and view the list of products or call us and talk to one of our Customer Service Representatives and they will be glad to place an order for you or answer any questions you might have.

Thank you.

Does Seton offer the CogAT? I couldn't find it if they do--I like to give the CogAT every other year. If you give it with the ITBS, they compare the two scores.

Not sure, I only emailed about the CAT and whether it could be taken twice in one year. I figured since I emailed, I might as well post the answer in case it helps another parent. :)

I'm looking at ITBS and CogAT as my top choices.