Menu

Favorite Audiobooks for Sensitive Littles?

Megicce

Would love to cash in on some of the "afternoon nap" audiobook action that SWB talks about. My 4yo LOVES listening to books...but I'm having a difficult time locating audiobooks that are appropriate for her. She is VERRRRRY sensitive to anything violent or sad. We've had success (obsession, really) so far with Nate the Great books, but they're not exactly excellent literature. :)

Our library's online catalog doesn't seem to have a very intuitive way to search for audiobooks, so I've had a hard time even figuring out what is available. Any suggestions for great kids' books that have a good audio version? I'm thinking maybe I can find them if I look for them by name.

Thank you!

Librivox has some Thornton Burgess books (Paddy the Beaver, etc) that you can download for free. From the library, you might look for Curious George.

HTH! :)

LibriVox has an absolutely delightful version of My Father's Dragon, too. It's read by a boy who sounds about 12, and who does a better job than many of the adult readers.

My dd's don't care for the Lib recordings. I think it's because of the constant repeating of "this is a lib recording, all lib recordings are part of the public domain" LOL! However my ds just listened to Raggedy Ann during his rest time for the first time on the tv and fell right asleep!

I have that blurp memorized.

I admit when picking out a librivox recording I do try to get a library one first. I then take into consideration how long each track is. Sometimes a Burgess book will only be broken up into 4 or 5 sections (instead of 20 or so chapters) so you get a longer time between hearing the librivox blurp.