Menu

Ipod Nano or Ipod Touch?

We are thinking of getting our dd an upgrade to her Ipod Shuffle. She bought it some years ago after earning the money and it's definitely been well loved. I know she'd love to have a upgrade where she could see playlists or go right to a song without having to click the button a million times to get to it, lol.

What do you recommend a Nano or a Touch. 16G or so is what we're thinking. It would be a big step up from the 2G she has now :D

Oh and we don't have internet or texting on the home cell phone (which they use when needed). We are "computers in high traffic areas" only parents.

Edited by CountryGirl2

Ipod Touch

At your daughter's age, the calendar, notes, contacts and clock function would come in useful. I use the clock function as my alarm clock, the notes function for my books wishlist (to borrow).

Love the iPod Touch camera function too when out somewhere and we saw a flower/plant or bug that we cannot recognise and we take photos to check later.

My kids use the iPod Touch to take photos for their science projects last year and they turn out good for printing and putting up on the elmo poster board.

The iTunes U podcast are great too.

I vote for the touch also. I had a shuffle, and then my parents got me a touch for Christmas last year, and I LOVE it! I use the notes function frequently, and I downloaded Instagram and I use the camera on it more often than I use my real camera. haha! About 99% of the pictures I post on Facebook are from my touch. I also use it as an alarm clock when we travel, and the calendar is handy for reminders. I love it!

The touch doesn't seem nearly as useful to me if you aren't connecting to wireless? We have a touch, a nano, and iPads here. If she is primarily wanting it for music, I'd go with a nano. If she wants to be able to download apps and use e-mail, check facebook, etc, I'd go with the touch.

Touch.

So far we haven't had issues with our kids misusing the internet. However, I do tell them that the ipod and ipad are ultimately MINE and I can be taken away or audited at any time.

Dawn

And we have had issues with her following the rules of internet safety in our home. If I can't turn off the internet and keep it off, then i'll be sticking with the nano....

And we have had issues with her following the rules of internet safety in our home. If I can't turn off the internet and keep it off, then i'll be sticking with the nano....

Are you using a wireless router for your internet at home? If you are, you can always don't add the mac address of the ipod to the wireless router list of acceptable devices.

For McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles where there is free wi-fi, than it is a case of keeping the iPod from your daughter or sticking with the nano.

Are you using a wireless router for your internet at home? If you are, you can always don't add the mac address of the ipod to the wireless router list of acceptable devices.

For McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles where there is free wi-fi, than it is a case of keeping the iPod from your daughter or sticking with the nano.

DD is too young to have a problem, but I still would prefer no access. So for home, I wouldn't put in the password. For outside, well, we would only use it for audiobooks at home, and I would use it to take pictures outside, so it would be in my possession.

I'm debating between the two as well. My camera broke, and I'm relying on the iPad, which is unweildy.

The problem is that iPod nano has a lightning connector and all the speakers that I own have that pin connection. The thought of having to pay $30 for a converter is driving me to get a refurbished Touch.

Yes. I'll have to mention this to my husband. He and I are on the same page about the internet being available. We are waiting for her maturity to kick in before we allow her access again. As of now there are only three websites she can go to on the computer and they are school related and one for music. That's it.