Menu

Marble run ?

Somehow we never got around to getting a marble run, and the kids are still asking for one. They are 7 and 9 now, but are adamant that they would play with one, and it does look like some would be fun for older kids. Is it worth it for older kids? Do your kids have one they love?

We had one similar to this http://www.themarblerunshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=610

It is most certainly for older kids. Your 7 yo most likely would need significant help with it still. He could play with it at a more basic level, but adults can be challenged by this one!

Good to know -- Amazon has a few made by that company.

It is most certainly for older kids. Your 7 yo most likely would need significant help with it still.

:iagree: We had a very basic set and my dc needed help with it when they were young. They couldn't quite figure out how to connect the pieces so the marble wouldn't just drop straight down instead of run down the slides and through the thingees (:tongue_smilie:). I think an older child would enjoy more independent play with it because he/she could better understand the construction involved.

We gave them for gifts a few years ago and the kids loved them, but they also lost interest fairly quickly. I put them away and now only bring them out when we have long vacations.

We have a slightly larger version of this one

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/031017/9e76ea7eb642a5de0e2da76b

and this one http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/043308/9e76ea7eb642a5de0e2da76b which is more suitable for teens.

even though my kids do enjoy building. Every now and then it gets taken out and used, but it's not a huge winner. We have one of the wooden ones. I guess 7-9 is about the right age. It's true that much younger than that and the construction is just too challenging.

My 7-year-old built one herself out of paper plates (the edges), short & long paper tubes, and straws (as supports--they run through the paper tubes). It took lots of tape and many, many, many adjustments to get it to work, but WOW, the end result was impressive. It twisted around several times before hitting the bottom.

She can keep working on it indefinitely to change it up and add new layers/levels as she pleases.

Just an idea--it's cheap, takes tons of time to create, and its size is limited only by the imagination.

My 7-year-old built one herself out of paper plates (the edges), short & long paper tubes, and straws (as supports--they run through the paper tubes). It took lots of tape and many, many, many adjustments to get it to work, but WOW, the end result was impressive. It twisted around several times before hitting the bottom.

Wow! That is impressive. Do you happen to have a dwarf hamster to test out your daughter's marble run :001_smile: