Menu

Can you recommend a digital piano?

We are looking for a digital piano in the $400-$500 range. Less wouldn't be a bad thing naturally, but we want as nice as we can afford. Costco has this one http://www.costco.ca/Casio®-CDP220-Compact-Digital-Piano.product.10351323.html

I have read Yamaha is good, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. We are beginners obviously, but I do want the children to take lessons eventually.

Also, we are pretty set on digital for the volume control, ear phones, and so forth so please don't tell me to just get a real piano. We have a small house and I have a low noise tolerance :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

I know you were asking about a piano, and I was looking for something similar myself. However, we went cheaper and got a digital keyboard at Costco, last Christmas. It was on sale for $89. I think it has around 76 keys, and the keys are weighted. It's a Casio WK-220.

Her music teacher said it works really well for her lessons. I decided if she stuck with piano lessons, we would get something more expensive later. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, in case she hated piano. So far, she likes it and I think she will stick with it.

I would save a bit longer and get any of the Yamaha Arius pianos, or a Celviano--like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-AP220-Celviano-Digital-Piano/dp/B003BVJ7S6/ref=sr_1_9?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1350853952&sr=1-9&keywords=yamaha+arius

Oh, and we have two digital pianos and volume control is BIG plus. My 18 year old (serious musician) has a Casio Privia that he plays well into the night often without bothering anyone:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Privia-PX-130-88-Key-Digital/dp/B002IVK0FE/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1350854138&sr=1-1&keywords=casio+privia+px-130

It has GOOD weighted keys, unlike the Yamaha you linked above. The stand and bench can be added later to make it look more like the better digitals. When I bought ours, I got the keyboard, stand and bench for $550 at Best Buy. I haven't seen it that low since, but keep an eye out since the holidays are approaching. Someone may offer a package as a loss leader.

Edited by darlasowders

I also recommend waiting until you can afford a better piano like this basic Arius. We have a Yamaha Arius and I'm very happy with it. The feel and sound are very very close to a real piano. The Guitar Center has coupons periodically so you can get it for less.

I've played a Casio ($700-800 I think) and Suzuki ($1000+ I think) at Costco that felt inferior to the Arius.

Thanks everyone. I will look into the ones linked. It is a gift from my parents so that is why I'm trying to stay in that range. Looks like with the better ones all the fun extras are out (different sounds, etc). Oh well, I guess you're paying more for better quality, not random extras.

Thanks again!

We are looking for a digital piano in the $400-$500 range. Less wouldn't be a bad thing naturally, but we want as nice as we can afford. Costco has this one http://www.costco.ca/Casio®-CDP220-Compact-Digital-Piano.product.10351323.html

I have read Yamaha is good, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. We are beginners obviously, but I do want the children to take lessons eventually.

Also, we are pretty set on digital for the volume control, ear phones, and so forth so please don't tell me to just get a real piano. We have a small house and I have a low noise tolerance :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

We bought the previous version of this one from Costco several years ago and have been very happy with it. My daughter has advanced from a very beginner to playing the classical songs that come on the player, so it definitely grows with the player. Now is it the fanciest or probably even the best out there? No, but it suits all of our needs.

I can't give a specific model, but do go for weighted keys. even if you don't have a full keyboard, you want the weighted keys for developing 'the touch' of playing on a real keyboard.

I have found some great deals for high priced electronics on craigslist,

We got a Yamaha YDP223 from Craigslist. It does include "fun stuff" but that hardly ever gets used unless dd is just messing around. We're not a piano family; mostly ds1 uses it and he mostly plays by ear.

FWIW ds1 took lessons many years ago on a cheap Casio keyboard. This worked ok for the most part (the basics) until he got to the lessons on piano vs forte. The keyboard made the same sound no matter how lightly or hard you pressed the key so he didn't get to experience that difference until he met with his teacher.

We got a Yamaha YDP223 from Craigslist. It does include "fun stuff" but that hardly ever gets used unless dd is just messing around. We're not a piano family; mostly ds1 uses it and he mostly plays by ear.

FWIW ds1 took lessons many years ago on a cheap Casio keyboard. This worked ok for the most part (the basics) until he got to the lessons on piano vs forte. The keyboard made the same sound no matter how lightly or hard you pressed the key so he didn't get to experience that difference until he met with his teacher.

That's why we all recommended weighted keys--specifically hammer action.

None of the Casio keyboards linked here are like the cheap ones you get at Walmart etc. The one I linked in particular is a stage piano with hammer action weighted keys.

The Yamaha Arius is still better, but not because it's a Yamaha. There are high end Casios also like the Celviano series and up.

We just bought the Casio PX850. It just came out and will be delivered next week. I did a lot of research on the forums at Pianoworld.com. I was looking at Costco too, but what you've heard here is true. Look for 88 hammer-weighted keys. There are many options out there!

At some point I would love to invest in an acoustic piano, but only if any of my kids stick with it long enough. :)

I bought ours at AmericanMusicalSupply.com and with a purchase over $250 (I believe), qualified buyers can have 5 or 8 payments at 0% financing. That allowed us to get something nicer. I think Magiciansfriend.com has a similar policy. Do not forget to look for coupon codes online. I got free shipping, no CA sales tax and 10% off as well. The sales tax and 10% off saved us almost $200.

Good luck with your search!

Brenda