Menu

Favorite devotionals/Bible study material

motherdear

We found Christian Liberty Press this year and I love it, really. Finally catechizing the kids, which is something I've always wanted to do! We're using their book B with my 6 and 4-year-old (older and younger listen in too) and I'm teaching my oldest the questions as we go through (we bought an iTunes CD too for music). She's using book E, which is a chronological study through Genesis - Esther with timelines and maps! Something I've always wanted for her, but never could pull together myself.

Little ones all listen to the Big Picture Bible in the mornings. DH is reading them through Matthew in the evenings (when he remembers)!

I'll second Sword Fighting. :001_smile:

Training Hearts Teaching Minds by Starr Meade is fabulous for catechism study (protestant)

Victor Journey Through the Bible is our preferred book for actual Bible study. We work through it in a WTM fashion, one lesson a week, so it has ample time to soak in.

The Apologia ones are okay. My DH did the first one with our kids a few years ago. He'd just read until a conversation spawned and followed any bunny trail they happened to shoot down.

This year my older ones are trying out R. C. Sproul's Essential Truths of the Christian Faith, and I have Mere Christianity (C. S. Lewis) on the shelf for my oldest and I to work through together later on.

Just for fun my oldest is using Walking With Frodo and Walking With Bilbo, both 9 week long devotionals based on Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. He's studying Tolkien in literature this year and thinks taking it into his devotionals is awesome. ;)

For little ones we just read through a kid friendly Bible and discuss it. I really like the one by Catherine Vos.

:bigear:

Wow, I am looking at the Walking with... for the J.R.R Tolkien books, that's a great find, thanks for letting us know. I was planning on reading through those with my son next year and this will be a great addition.

We also use Starr Meade's Training Hearts and Teaching Minds, we also use catechism booklets (that include hymns and large passages of Scripture memorization) called Grace and Truth books put out by Founders Press. We also have R.C. Sproul's Essentials of the Christian Faith although we haven't used it yet.

Depending on the age of your dc I would also recommend Big Truths for Young Hearts. http://www.amazon.com/Big-Truths-Young-Hearts-Greatness/dp/1433506017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350861460&sr=8-1&keywords=big+truths+for+young+hearts

HTH and thanks for the ideas guys.

:bigear:

Depending on the age of your dc I would also recommend Big Truths for Young Hearts. http://www.amazon.com/Big-Truths-Young-Hearts-Greatness/dp/1433506017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350861460&sr=8-1&keywords=big+truths+for+young+hearts

We are using this too along with Book B of the CLP Bible on the day we introduce new questions :).

Woops - I was wrong! We're using Big Truths for Little Kids!! Too many similar titles - sorry! :)

Edited by Jennifer Bogart

We are loving the Covenantal Catechism series (we're on Book 2).

We've enjoyed Susan Hunt's children's devotionals, they're well done and engaging.

Probably our favorite devotional for young children was God's Alphabet for Life.

We've read The Jesus Storybook Bible, Catherine Vos' Bible for children, and are now reading Starr Meade's children's Bible: The Mighty Acts of God. We've liked all of them, with Meade's as our least favorite.

The children and I are reading The Heavens during Circle Time. I think it is a bit over their heads, but I'm finding it helpful.

We found Christian Liberty Press this year and I love it, really. Finally catechizing the kids, which is something I've always wanted to do! We're using their book B with my 6 and 4-year-old (older and younger listen in too) and I'm teaching my oldest the questions as we go through (we bought an iTunes CD too for music). She's using book E, which is a chronological study through Genesis - Esther with timelines and maps! Something I've always wanted for her, but never could pull together myself.

Little ones all listen to the Big Picture Bible in the mornings. DH is reading them through Matthew in the evenings (when he remembers)!

Jennifer,

What iTunes CD are you using for the catechism memory work?

We are almost done with Long Story Short by Marty Machowski and we have liked it.

We'll begin with Sally Michaels' book God's Names after Christmas.

Our favorite Bibles for devotions (when we read something other than a real Bible) are The Jesus Storybook Bible and Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible.

Sally Lloyd-Jones, who wrote the The Jesus Storybook Bible, has a new devotional book out Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing. I haven't seen it yet.

Jennifer,

What iTunes CD are you using for the catechism memory work?

We're using Ask Me WhoOo for the Children's First Catechism from GCP (it's the same one Big Truths for Little Kids uses). It *is* word for word, with some repetition, and it's amazing. 3 volumes all together, we're just on Volume 1 which goes up to question 50 or so I think :).

Listen to the previews! Very catchy.

We are almost done with Long Story Short by Marty Machowski and we have liked it.

We'll begin with Sally Michaels' book God's Names after Christmas.

Our favorite Bibles for devotions (when we read something other than a real Bible) are The Jesus Storybook Bible and Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible.

Sally Lloyd-Jones, who wrote the The Jesus Storybook Bible, has a new devotional book out Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing. I haven't seen it yet.

I ordered Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing and it came in the mail today and it's beautiful! I think we're really going to enjoy using it for our devotional time :)

I just got What the Bible Is All About: Handbook for Kids and it looks great.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Bible-About-Handbook-Kids/dp/B006J3W1U4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1351112315&sr=8-7&keywords=henrietta+mears+what+the+bible+is+all+about

Also, I know they are videos, but What's In The Bible? DVDs are AMAZING. There is so much great content in there!

I like the books by Bob Schultz. I am reading Everyday Battles myself as a devotional. I am reading Created for Work to the children(4-15). They are aimed at boys(lawn mowing illustrations for example), but equally applicable to girls. I don't want my girls to miss them. If my oldest child was under 6, I might wait on them a year or two, but my 4 and 6 year girls listen with the older kids.

They aren't Bible study, but they sure are the Bible applied to life. The more I read; the more I like them.