Menu

Can you help me find this gift for my mom....Cast iron dutch oven.

Here's the back story. Mother inherited a cast iron dutch oven, I am guessing 5qt from her mil. It is now 75 years old. The problem is the lid has no handle at all and hasn't for as long as I can remember. The handle (thick metal) is very awkard and bent out of shape. Mother does not cook as much but insists that she needs a new dutch oven. As she is getting older she can't just get by with the one she has with no handles. I was thinking this http://www.casa.com/p/lodge-color-enamel-6-qt-dutch-oven-emerald-green-240244?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=ZPV-3830&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1309133500&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

Do you have any others to consider? What size would be best. she likes to make big batches of meat sauce, stew etc.

I have the one you linked (got a great price off amazon) but it's enameled -- does she want that?

Cast iron is HEAVY so I'd recommend going with the size she has now.

Oh and you can just buy a new handle for the one she has, too.

If you do go with the enameled Lodge, it only comes with a plastic knob. Buy a metal Le Creuset knob separately to replace it.

Edited by sweetbasil

The one you linked is very nice. I would definitely go with Lodge. I know Le Creuset also is a nice line, but much pricier I believe.

This Lodge one is much more basic (in that it is not enameled), but also very nice. It's what I'd buy if I were getting one for myself. I'm cheap like that. :D This one is nice too, if she's more used to that kind of handle.

If you don't want an enameled pot, Walmart has Lodge 5qt dutch ovens for $35. Also, my lid for my 5qt dutch oven fits my 10" lodge fry pan, so if all she really needs is a lid, that might be an option.

If you want enamel, IMO, the enameled pots I trust are Le Crueset. LC is made under knowable conditions. As far as I can tell, every other enameled pot is made in China, which means it's impossible to know whether than enamel has lead in it or not. I would not risk it. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not a person who refuses to buy anything made in China. But I do refuse to buy things that might lead to lead poisoning, including enameled cookware.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

If you don't want an enameled pot, Walmart has Lodge 5qt dutch ovens for $35. Also, my lid for my 5qt dutch oven fits my 10" lodge fry pan, so if all she really needs is a lid, that might be an option.

If you want enamel, IMO, the enameled pots I trust are Le Crueset. LC is made under knowable conditions. As far as I can tell, every other enameled pot is made in China, which means it's impossible to know whether than enamel has lead in it or not. I would not risk it. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not a person who refuses to buy anything made in China. But I do refuse to buy things that might lead to lead poisoning, including enameled cookware.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

:iagree:I was going to point out the same thing as Tammy. I searched ENDLESSLY for an enameled dutch oven not made in China, just for fear of lead in the glaze. All of Lodge's regular cast iron are made in USA, all their enameled are done in China.

I finally did find *ONE* enameled 6 or 7 qt oven at Costco... it was made in France, and I felt safe with that. I got it last year, but still saw it at my location a couple months ago.

THIS link is not it, but it's a matching piece so you can see how it looks: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Enameled-12%22-Cast-Iron-French-Grill-Pan.product.11758585.html

Good luck with the choice!!

:iagree:I was going to point out the same thing as Tammy. I searched ENDLESSLY for an enameled dutch oven not made in China, just for fear of lead in the glaze. All of Lodge's regular cast iron are made in USA, all their enameled are done in China.

I finally did find *ONE* enameled 6 or 7 qt oven at Costco... it was made in France, and I felt safe with that. I got it last year, but still saw it at my location a couple months ago.

THIS link is not it, but it's a matching piece so you can see how it looks: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Enameled-12%22-Cast-Iron-French-Grill-Pan.product.11758585.html

Good luck with the choice!!

So jealous!! Really wish we had a Costco here, too, now! I've never been able to find an enameled pot not made in Chine. Le Crueset is made in France, too. But I don't have $250 for a pot right now.

So jealous!! Really wish we had a Costco here, too, now! I've never been able to find an enameled pot not made in Chine. Le Crueset is made in France, too. But I don't have $250 for a pot right now.

That was my problem too... LOVE Le Crueset but that just wasn't in the budget. I think I got the one at Costco for around $70, which isn't much different than all the enameled ones made elsewhere. I considered it quite the bargain!!

I have a Tramotina enameled Dutch Oven, I bought it at walmart several years ago for about $40. I love it, I use it several times a week.

I use regular cast iron for all of my skillets but I prefer the enamel coating for my Dutch Oven. It's easier to use it for soups, stews and tomatoey things without worrying about the seasoning.

Mine came with a plastic knob for the lid and I just went to Home Depot and got a metal cabinet knob to replace it so I could put it in a very hot oven.

I have the enameled Lodge oven that was linked and also a Le Creuset flame dutch oven I found at a garage sale (for $20!) a few years back. I love them both, but now use my Le Creuset primarily for making no knead bread and my blue Lodge for everything else. I just finished washing it 10 minutes ago - I would definitely go for the enameled one for easy clean up.

I would be concerned about your mother being able to lift the Lodge oven - mine is seriously heavy to get in and out of the oven and I was a champion power weight lifter! :lol:

I wish I could have an enameled pot but I have a glass top stove and apparently they are a big no-no for glass top. :glare: Just one more reason why I can't wait until my stove dies so I can buy a gas range.

I have the lodge logic one . I went with this one because the lid can also be used as a pan, too. I really like it.

I have a glass top stove and use an enameled pot (Le Creuset) on it with no problem. I am careful while I'm using it, but not paranoid. I am also waiting for my stove to die so I can have a gas range, so I kind of wish the pot was harder on the glass top!

I have this one, in the 7-qt. version: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-7-Quart-Spiral-Handle/dp/B0000DDTVO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1350837203&sr=8-10&keywords=7-qt.+dutch+oven+cast+iron

I love it and use it frequently. It holds a whole chicken, or a big roast, plus vegetables, etc. and would make a lot of soup/stew. It holds enough for a full meal for my family of 6, and I expect we will not outgrow it too soon. It also fits the 9-inch burner on my stovetop nicely for when I want to use the pan juices to make gravy, or whatever.

However, I think for an older person, especially, I'd go with one with bigger handles. Mine doesn't really have much of a handle on either side, and I'm not comfortable lifting it out of the oven with the wire handle. (For camping, though, it would probably be great.)

I have a smaller dutch oven (2-quart maybe?) that works for cornbread and such like that, and it has the side handles; I think those would be preferable in a large one too.

ETA: I looked back at my notes where I'd sent DH some ideas when he asked for them, and I think we went with the dutch oven with the spiral wire handle because amazon had it on a HUGE sale. As I said, it works fine, but if I was buying again, I'd go for the one with the bigger handles on the side.

Edited by happypamama