Menu

Best insurance company for home and auto?

Which company is the best? =D We have Allstate and every single house on our street got a new roof after our hail storm last spring EXCEPT US! Our insurance wouldn't approve it. I'm interested in looking at other companies.

A friend used to work in the insurance industry, and I think she said that she felt State Farm was the best. I can't remember exactly though. Whichever company it was, she didn't work for them, but she had found that they were the easiest to work with on claims for her customers.

Thanks!

Which company is the best? =D We have Allstate and every single house on our street got a new roof after our hail storm last spring EXCEPT US! Our insurance wouldn't approve it. I'm interested in looking at other companies.

A friend used to work in the insurance industry, and I think she said that she felt State Farm was the best. I can't remember exactly though. Whichever company it was, she didn't work for them, but she had found that they were the easiest to work with on claims for her customers.

Thanks!

Sometimes it depends on the adjusters in your area. I would call the roofing contractors. They will often tell you who is good to work with and who is more likely to pay claims.

I know that isn't all you are interested in, but it can give you some good information to make your decision.

GEICO has been great for car insurance.

State Farm (in my area) was just o.k. due to a difficult adjuster.

Westfield Insurance through an independent agent. Both my inlaws and we have them. Homeowner claims have been settled for both of us. Hail damage even. We didn't file right away because we didn't see damage ourselves. A contractor we knew said to file because hail damage is not always obvious but they do shorten the life of the shingles. Westfield asked about our gutters and downspouts. We hadn't even looked at them and I hadn't cared that the gutters might be dinged a little. They worked and were not leaking. Westfield paid to replaced them. Now with a homeowners claim, Westfield will only pay for the the actual cash value up front, not replacement cost. Once you have replaced the item, you send them the bill showing it was replaced and then they issue a check for the difference of the replacement value and what you were already paid. Never had an auto claim in the last 5 yrs with them.

My inlaws has hail damage on the siding on one side of the house. It was the wide siding. Westfield paid to have the whole house sided because that wide stuff isn't used anymore for siding.

I believe their rates are competitive with State Farm and Nationwide. We switched from Nationwide because our rates kept going up and we had no claims with them.

You might check with Allstate again. Many insurance companies allow you to file a claim up to a year after the event on homeowners stuff.

Thanks!

Never take no for an answer. Hire an independent appraiser if you have to. If every house on the block got a roof, and you can substantiate the hailstorm, proceed to go after the insurance company, whose sole reason for existence is to rake in money and deny claims.

I never make claims, but when I decided to make a roof claim, it was denied. I called the most active roofer in town, who has done business in this city for decades. He came to meet with the insurance agent and me, on the location. Always have the roofer there on the spot.

Anyway, they knew each other. Went way back. I got my roof.

We had been with Progressive for car insurance for years, and recently switched to Geico. Progressive rates shot up here (there were no accidents or tickets, ever) and by switching I've saved us $85/month. :001_huh:

I have no suggestions for home insurance as we're in coastal FL so it's local (many places don't like to insure homes here).

We have allstate. We pay less for a year's coverage on our house, than we did for one month w/ another company. We have the house, and all vehicles with them. We had Geico on auto in the past, and while the roadside coverage was great, everything else stunk! I'm trying to get my mil to understand she is paying triple w/ Geico, than what she would w/ any other company. I've heard good and bad about State Farm and USAA, but my friend who has SF, is very happy w/ her agent.

Wow Meandering Mom, such hostility against Allstate! As an Allstate employee i can tell you that our rates are very competitive and many, many times beat other companies. Allstate is so sure of their customer service with claims that we are the only insurance company out there that has "claim satisfaction guarantee" which means if a person isn't 100% satisfied they will be reimbursed. We offer "drive wise" which monitors a driver's driving and will give discounts accordingly, we offer bundling which offers discounts for multi policies...we offer multiple vehicle discounts and so much more and 99.999% of the time we beat state farms prices...there is so much good about allstate that i can't even think of everything right now! i'd say OP to give your local agent a call and find out what he/she can do.