Menu

Am I being too sensitive?

My kid's were baptized this past weekend, at last. DH's family gave the kids a a couple baptism presents. What was really nice is that one of the gifts was "from" DH's brother. MIL said he had trouble picking out a gift, so she "helped" him pick one out. The gift... for the baptism of our children was the "Ten Commandments of the Classroom" (link- http://www.bibleknowledgebookstore.com/item/deeperliving-home-garden/ten-commandments-of-the-classroom-plaque/224463.html)

Neither DH or I know what to make of it. DH just kind of shrugs it off, but I am like "What on EARTH do I do with it?" Since it's a plaque it's meant to be hung - will they notice if i don't hang it? The border looks pretty, but I think it's too religious-school-ish/brick and mortar... I also take into consideration the age of my DC. My eldest will be four soon. :001_huh: I just wonder if she is trying to take a not-so-subtle stab at us homeschooling...

Guest submarines

Seems like they are supportive of you homeschooling. Considering it was a gift after a religious event, it is appropriate for the gift to be of a religious nature. I can't read the commandments, though. Is the content offensive?

Well, I can't read all the print so I'm assuming that it doesn't say anything inappropriate.

Given that, I think they tried. Don't take offense. Hang it or don't hang it, I don't think it matters unless they're the type to purposely check. I think some people just don't know what homeschooling is/can be like so treating it like B&M school is the best they can do.

I would take it as supportive of homeschooling. She thinks your school is real! There are many families that would love to have that kind of support. It was a baptism gift, so she gave it a religious touch. I think it is sweet and considerate. You don't have to like it :). Just say thanks and recognize she tried.

I would take it as supportive of homeschooling. She thinks your school is real! There are many families that would love to have that kind of support. It was a baptism gift, so she gave it a religious touch. I think it is sweet and considerate. You don't have to like it :). Just say thanks and recognize she tried.

:iagree:

Yes, you are being too sensitize. I wouldn't hang it because it's ugly, IMO. But I know a lot of homeschoolers who WOULD. It's a gift. Just accept it gracefully and don't ascribe motives.

Even if she was trying to take a stab at your homeschooling, so what? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The best way for you to drive her crazy in that situation is to be completely oblivious to her attempt.

I just wonder if she is trying to take a not-so-subtle stab at us homeschooling...

Wow, I thought the complete opposite. I thought that it was really nice that she was validating your homeschool as pretty much equal to any other school situation, and trying to be supportive by participating in providing touches that might enrich your homeschool!

I guess I probably don't have enough background info to make a well-informed decision, but on the face of it, it seems like maybe you're choosing to see offense where there was none intended. Maybe try to assume the best? :grouphug: