Menu

Besides Classiquest and ES Bio...

what else is there for logic stage biology? I'm not totally sold on either of these. And a search has yielded pluses and minuses for both. We have used ES during grammar stage for physics and while I liked some of it I found there to be too much writing and the reading was rather dry at times.

I had thought CQ was going to be our choice but now I'm not so sure. Mainly because I'm not keen on the spines being used though if the rest of the program is good I can navigate them. I looked into NOEO and it looks very similar to ES.

So what else is out there science moms?

Hmm, I looked at those and they're not quite what I'm looking for though I'm having trouble articulating just what it is I am looking for.

I reviewed both ES and CQ and am leaning towards ES though a search tells me they are very similar in approach and content.

I would love to hear from folks who have used either of these curric.

TIA

We're using ES's Logic Stage biology w/Tiner's Exploring the World of Biology added on. The spine is dry reading and not always very clear.

I like the flexibility of Paige's plans because I'm a tweaker. I really couldn't make up my mind between ES & CQ. (I'm sure you saw my posts in your search.) In the end, I just picked one. It isn't a perfect program and my oldest isn't loving it. (DD#2, on the other hand, loves :001_wub: ES's Lapbooking through Biology.) But, it is getting done and she's doing some of it independently, which I needed this year.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Thanks, RootAnn. Yes, I did see several of your posts when I searched and you were in the same conundrum I am :) Was there a specific reason you picked ES or did you just decide either would work and went with ES?

I know I'll tweak which ever program I choose but I don't want to have to tweak so much that it becomes a different curric. iykwim.

I would have had to tweak either program too much, so we're using books and hands-on.

Some of the books we're using include:

The World in a Drop of Water

Life in a Bucket of Soil

The Plant Hunters

Skunk Cabbage, Sundew Plants, and Strangler Figs

The Body Book (Donald Silver)

The Father of Anatomy: Galen and his Dissections

The Code of Life

Nature's Champions

I do like the living books approach but I want to make sure I cover all the basics. I was just reviewing the logic stage Biology portion of TWTM and I think that using TWTM rubric combined with living books might be the way to go.

I have also found a fascinating non-text book on the subject which takes the approach of the underlying unity of all living things. It looks to be fairly comprehensive and gets great reviews. It can be found used for a decent price.

I do like the living books approach but I want to make sure I cover all the basics. I was just reviewing the logic stage Biology portion of TWTM and I think that using TWTM rubric combined with living books might be the way to go.

I have also found a fascinating non-text book on the subject which takes the approach of the underlying unity of all living things. It looks to be fairly comprehensive and gets great reviews. It can be found used for a decent price.

Yes, this is a great book, but I decided it was a little advanced for my 5th grader, and am holding off. Not sure how old your dc is.

I'm doing a cobbled-together approach with Biology too, using BFSU B-threads, loosely, as a spine and incorporating lots of living books. I haven't been sold on anything out there for this age.

CQ is really nothing but small reading selections from the books they require, some charts, and questions. It was a huge disappointment, especially since I spent so much money on the books and things to do experiments with. I could never recommend it.

Science is my biggest weakness as a home school mom. I learned no science in school. My older son learned science from Apologia, and it was a good program in that what he learned he was able to apply to day to day life. However it was offensive to me how much religion was worked into the curriculum. I may have to use it again though, because it really allowed my ds to self study something that I do not know. I seem to have no talent to over come and self study in this area from secular materials myself.

I did Nancy Larson Science II with my 4th and 6th grader, NL III when they were 5th and 7th, and Nancy Larson Science IV has just come out this week. I think I will be ordering it shortly. I think it's for ages 11 to 13, but they don't have a lot of info on the site yet. It's pricey, but it has worked very well for us.

Nancy Larson Science 4 :001_smile:

In elementary, my son learned mostly about zoology, botany, and ecology. So for the logic stage, he studied biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, and evolution. We used the book you listed plus these others:

Texts:

Biochem: The Way Life Works (the one you referenced)

Genetics: The Cartoon Guide to genetics, The stuff of life

Evolution: Biozone's Evolution (we did it together because it is a high school level book)

Microbiology: his investigation with lots of internet research

Docos:

All of David Attenborough again (he is just great)

Hands on/investigation:

Hands on: Hemophilia in the royal family, lots of microscope work, gene pool and genetic drift games, nature study, bird watching, fern and mushroom identification, biology in cooking

Investigation: Which type of water supports the most diversity of micro-organisms, ocean, ditch, or river?

Ruth in NZ

I read the pdf version of that book from here. My boys liked The Way We Work by David Macaulay as supplementary reading.

I have used ES Bio and own CQ Bio. I never used CQ because it was brand new and they didn't have the materials kit. I believe that is now available. We liked ES well enough; science isn't my strong suit either, but it got done and the kids didn't dislike it. You could also look at Noeo, which we are using this year for Physics. We also used it for Chemistry. I like that it comes with everything you need.

Thanks for all the replies. They are all so helpful as I pull things together.

Ruth, I'm curious to know how you used the book I referenced. Did you simply read and discuss? Did you have your ds follow up with some research of his own? And David Attenborough, that's a great suggestion.

Arcadia, that website looks like a great resource. I went ahead and bought the book as I found a great deal on a used copy but it will no doubt be helpful for others who are wanting to use the book as a resource.

The book is pithy but light in tone and the artwork helps make it accessible to the non-biologist. If I can find a way to work with it I think it will make a great source book.

Ruth, I'm curious to know how you used the book I referenced. Did you simply read and discuss? Did you have your ds follow up with some research of his own?

He read it and we discussed it. This took about 8 weeks. Sometimes he would draw some of cartoons for fun which really helped him to clearly see how a cell's machinery works. He did not write anything about it, he did not do any additional research.

He really loved the book. And I think he will be reading it again in a few years to reinforce what he learned.

Ruth in NZ

• 1 month later...

I did Nancy Larson Science II with my 4th and 6th grader, NL III when they were 5th and 7th, and Nancy Larson Science IV has just come out this week. I think I will be ordering it shortly. I think it's for ages 11 to 13, but they don't have a lot of info on the site yet. It's pricey, but it has worked very well for us.

Nancy Larson Science 4 :001_smile:

Will this be a Biology program?