Menu

sewing with children, advice please

I really want my kids to sew, I do.

But how much do I just "don't hover and let them sew." vs. "Here this is the right way to do it" and "Don't get into Mama's sewing stuff!"

She's got her own machine (thank you cragislist.com). So no longer and issue there.

I do realize that I don't share my toys well. :glare:

Dd9 has a couple of sewing books for kids and she makes projects from them. Next year, 5th I am going to teach her more technical aspects. She does a lot of hand sewing, but has her own 1964 White. I give her fabric. She has sewn pillows, wallets, purses, etc. And she's resewn them,lol.

I am going to teach her to use the serger b/c it's so valuable in garment construction and great with knits.

:lurk5:

So how does one get over the fear of their kids sewing their fingers?

My dds want to sew, and I want to teach them, but I keep playing the middle school home ec horror stories in my head.

FWIW, I'm generally not so nervous. My kids play in snake and bear infested woods. My toddler leaps off furniture. They climb trees like monkeys. They use the stove and oven. None of that scares me. Sewing machines do! :001_huh:

we are lucky that one of the children's librarian's loves to sew. she started a hand-sewing class 2 years ago. she discovered that 95% of the class was homeschooled and so she held a class on monday's at 1:30pm. as the girls have gotten older, she designed a machine sewing class. that started last spring. again, all homeschoolers. they have been working on a quilt all summer and some are still working on it. they will be displayed at the library.

the librarian is a member of the national sewing guild organization and encourages the girls to attend the meetings. those are a great bunch of ladies who want to share their passion for sewing and they are happy to 'buddy up' with the little girls. you could try to find a chapter in your area.

Robin

There are some 4-H sewing curricular materials that might help you. Different Extension Services have projects available online but I have found that Utah's site offers a great array of beginner projects. Link.

As far as learning to use the machine, I suggest drawing straight lines on a piece of paper and having the child first learn to sew on the lines in a slow and steady fashion. Then move to curves. Speed demons will have trouble staying on the lines and will not graduate to real fabric.

"Have you thought about how you're going to put it together?"

"Would you like some ideas about how to hide the raw edges?"

"Are you happy cutting that way, or would you like some tips?"

"You might want to think about drafting a pattern for that. I can help if you like. You can use some of my pattern paper."

"I'm concerned that if you do it that way, it might be harder to put in the zipper. Hmmmm...."

"The stitches popped? Hmmm... Maybe try a zig-zag next time if you're using stretch fabric."

"These are my good scissors. See how they say on them in Sharpie CLOTH ONLY? You can use them, but you must use them ONLY on cloth. Here is another pair - you can use these to cut your pattern."

"Would you like to learn to use patterns, or would you just like to wing it?"

"Here is one of your dad's old shirts - it might work for the lining of that bag."

And so on...

You can give sewing tools as gifts, so that over time she builds up her own supply. Most tools are pretty indestructible, really, but it is fair to set rules for asking before using them. My dd has done a lot of t-shirt reconstructions - check your library for books about it.

Do NOT require that her messing around produce wearable/usable items. Each and every project will teach something, and in the beginning if she's being pretty independent most won't result in a usable/wearable item. THAT's OK!!! When we teach beginning handwriting, those worksheets aren't going to be published, you know? But they aren't wasted, and neither are the materials used for early sewing projects. Just don't spend a fortune on materials. Upcycling is trendy now, and goodness knows there's a lot of unwanted clothes out there. Use them!

Some kids want more help; some less. Offer, but don't insist unless it's a safety issue or an "that's my best expensive tool" issue.

My dds want to sew, and I want to teach them, but I keep playing the middle school home ec horror stories in my head.

FWIW, I'm generally not so nervous. My kids play in snake and bear infested woods. My toddler leaps off furniture. They climb trees like monkeys. They use the stove and oven. None of that scares me. Sewing machines do! :001_huh:

I had a really hard time letting dd go with the sewing machine and quilting equipment--rotory cutters are dangerous! I finally came to the realization that my hovering was probably more dangerous. I belong to a quilting club that gets together frequently so I left her at a workshop with two good friends of mine, who could stand to watch her, in charge. She is a pro now. I also took her to a seminar where she learned how to fix her own machine.

When dd is sewing with me I put a piece of blue painters tape at the point in which I want her to stop so her fingers don't get too close. Then she stops, and goes very slow the last few stitches.

My sewing machine has speed control so that definitely helps.

I had a really hard time letting dd go with the sewing machine and quilting equipment--rotory cutters are dangerous! I finally came to the realization that my hovering was probably more dangerous. I belong to a quilting club that gets together frequently so I left her at a workshop with two good friends of mine, who could stand to watch her, in charge. She is a pro now. I also took her to a seminar where she learned how to fix her own machine.

Have you seen THIS? I just invested in the cutter and rulers. I am an avid quilter and want to pass it on to dd but the rotary cutter was really taking the joy out of it because I was always nervous about her hand slipping or something. They are wonderful.

Dritz makes a good safety rotary cutter. http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-D1050-45mm-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B000YZASLM We have several.

Not sure about the sewing through fingers thing. My dd is a speed demon, but she hasn't.

I think you have to distinguish whether it's a project that has to be done perfectly or whether it's really their project that should be left alone. I wouldn't interfere unless essential, as in it's ruining very expensive fabric or something.

PS. My dd is getting ready to sew a LoTR-style dress she has envisioned. I'm having her do a muslin and then a version (to make just a church dress) out of cheaper fabric before she touches the velveteen. That way when she gets to the expensive stuff, she'll be experienced enough with the pattern that she (hopefully) won't screw it up. But that's expensive velveteen, kwim? For bags, purses, doll clothes, just leave 'em alone, kwim? Put the machine on turtle speed and walk away.

I'm in the same position. I'm afraid they are going to sew through a finger or ruin my machines! So far they've made play food by hand and other small projects. I need to get them a machine that I won't cry if it gets messed up. I don't want them messing up my computerized machine!

So far I've just talked about the process as I'm doing it. Just that is more then I was given and learned the hard way. I come from a long line of fantastic seamstresses that never passed on their skills. We all learned from the "neglect of our mothers". It's worked like that for so many generations that maybe the set them loose theory is best. I have more expensive and dangerous materials then what was sitting around my house as a kid.

I'm in the same position. I'm afraid they are going to sew through a finger or ruin my machines! So far they've made play food by hand and other small projects. I need to get them a machine that I won't cry if it gets messed up. I don't want them messing up my computerized machine!

So far I've just talked about the process as I'm doing it. Just that is more then I was given and learned the hard way. I come from a long line of fantastic seamstresses that never passed on their skills. We all learned from the "neglect of our mothers". It's worked like that for so many generations that maybe the set them loose theory is best. I have more expensive and dangerous materials then what was sitting around my house as a kid.

I found a $50 machine on craigslist.com for my dd to use. My personal machine isn't expensive but still I come back to it and find it still working. :D