Menu

Favorite educational electronic gadget?

alisoncooks

I'm thinking about getting 6 yo something electronic... but would like it if my 4 yr. old got some use from it.

I'm not sure what's the most useful, but requires the least amount of extra purchases (apps, games, etc). As far as tablets, there's the Innotab, the LeapPad one..... an iPad is WAY out of budget (but I'd love it!)

I'm even interested in hand-held educational/gaming devices. Leapster? Something with *some* educational components, but also entertainment (for travel, waiting rooms, etc. :))

What do your kids love?

I don't know if you'll find many people on these boards who will admit to using electronics gadgets this way. ;) I occasionally let my kids use my Iphone, but more often I read aloud to them in waiting rooms or have them listen to audiobooks. I sometimes get the evil eye in waiting rooms, but people will just have to deal.

I don't know if you'll find many people on these boards who will admit to using electronics gadgets this way. ;) I occasionally let my kids use my Iphone, but more often I read aloud to them in waiting rooms or have them listen to audiobooks. I sometimes get the evil eye in waiting rooms, but people will just have to deal.

Ha, I wondered that....

I may be in the minority here, but I have no problem with letting my child use something like that. We also watch t.v. here....

:eek::eek:

I don't think it's a minority necessarily. We love technology, I'll say - in all its forms. :D

But I don't have any recommendations for the OP. We ADORE our iPad. The kids also have a Kindle Fire and it's vastly inferior in every possible way so I can't recommend that.

Could you get them a refurbished iPod Touch? My kids have that as well (it was formerly a phone that started having phone signal issues - dh upgraded and now the kids use it) and the app selection is really good - especially in preschool apps, but also in fun logic stuff and in math for your 6 yo.

We have a LeapPad, Innotab, NookColor, and iPads. My kids who still live at home play with them are ages 6, 4, and 3.

The iPads are the favorite by far and I've only spent a few dollars total on software. Almost everything I've loaded on there for them has been free.

I think the Innotab was the least expensive out of the 4 devices I have listed above and if I remember correctly the games for it were a little cheaper too but it's been a while since I've purchased any.

I think they like the LeapPad and Innotab equally. The LeapPad has the camera and the Innotab can play movies that we load on it. We've had problems with each of them - with the Innotab, the battery cover broke and is held on with tape and the kickstand broke out. My kids aren't necessarily rough with them but they are 3 boys and stuff happens. The LeapPad has a stylus that (as I found out later) has a metal wire in it. My son chewed the end of the stylus and, unbeknownst to me, exposed the wire. He then proceeded to use it on the LeapPad and scratched the screen pretty badly.

Either LeapPad or Innotab will be fun and can be loaded with educational games. Definitely keep in mind the price of the extra software though because it adds up quickly. I haven't looked lately but most of the Nook apps I've seen cost money, it's hard to find free ones on their for the kids.

We definitely love our tech toys around here :) If you have any specific questions about any of the devices let me know.

I have a nook color that I rooted so now it works as an Android tablet. Most of the apps I've downloaded were free. And we find it works really well! I can't speak for any other Android tablets but this is very useful for our schooling. The nook color was not that expensive and if you are computer competent it is not too hard to root the nook.

iPod Touch/iPad. I think DD actually prefers the iTouch for most things, because it's smaller, she can hold it, and probably because I'm less nervous about it. She uses it for e-books, various educational apps, watching documentaries on netflix, making stop-motion movies using her legos and toys, and a lot of other things.

I wouldn't bother with the Leap Pads/Leapsters-iPod/Pad apps are a lot less expensive, have no cartridges to lose, and is going to grow with the child. I would, however, invest in a really, really good case!

I'll go ahead and agree with everyone. :001_smile: An iPad or similar is probably the way to go for long time use and savings on software. We have an old school Leapster, I think my son received it 6 or more years ago? We have quite a few games for it, and the prices of these games are pretty crazy for what they are, iykwim. And the cartridges are just a pain. I will say that it has been used a lot, my daughter uses it now occasionally, and I guess it will last for the little guy. But it is out of date, I know there has been many upgrades since then and I don't feel like making the update.

I was very unsure about letting the kids use the iPad at first...it was MINE and it was expensive and do they really need to use it? But the apps are amazing!! And cheap! We occasionally get a $10 itunes gift card for a bday or something, and it will last months just spending 99cents here and there. ;) I can see how this will grow with us, and we can use it for more advanced things as time goes on.

It is a big initial investment, and may not be in your budget right now, but think about the options and what you will really spend to get what you need.

I know the kindles are popular and may be a place to start. My friend loves her kindle fire and that was the first kindle to even tempt me. :) They are very reasonably priced (IMO) and we all know how easy amazon is to use. :lol:

I know where you are coming from, I was just looking to get my toddler the Innotab or something similar, and I just don't think I will do it. As much I as see the value in those items, the cost adds up so quickly, and I don't think the other 2 would use it at all. HTH!

I'm thinking about getting 6 yo something electronic... but would like it if my 4 yr. old got some use from it.

I'm not sure what's the most useful, but requires the least amount of extra purchases (apps, games, etc). As far as tablets, there's the Innotab, the LeapPad one..... an iPad is WAY out of budget (but I'd love it!)

I'm even interested in hand-held educational/gaming devices. Leapster? Something with *some* educational components, but also entertainment (for travel, waiting rooms, etc. :))

What do your kids love?

I don't know if I should even be answering a question about a 4 yr old - it's been so long... But, back in the day, we had LeapPads, or whatever they were called. The software was not that great, imo, and the little cartridges can get lost. Nintendo DS has some educational software, but, even when you buy used, the software is expensive and the cartridges get lost. But maybe you could get a used DS, just to see how your careful (or not) your kids are.

But, overall, I'd cast my vote with the iPad, even if it means holding off and not getting anything for a while. The app selection is amazing -- many are free and even the 99¢ ones go on sale for free (check out AppShopper). Plus the apps are on the machine, not floating around somewhere, getting lost. With a four-year old, I would be supervising the iPad like a hawk to make sure it's safe.

You mentioned waiting rooms -- what about a cheapo mp3 player loaded with good audiobooks, kids songs, etc? You could get a model w/o much storage and spend some time changing content rather than store a lot on the player.

Guest brookshanes

Probably still the best educational "gadget" is not very portable: iMac.

The iMac is helpful to our younger kids because we use it for typing, mathusee, violin videos and audio, Latin audio, Classical Conversations, etc.

As far as a portable gadget, by far the most educational has to be the iPad, simply because you can access so much information on it, and educational games, through apps. It is a great investment compared to other gadgets because we have had them all (LeapPad, Leap pad pen, globe, etc.) but they break, run out of batteries, and in the end are clunky.

:001_smile:

We have a Nintendo DS and both my 8 and 6 year old love it. We have several math and LA games for it. There are lots of learning games for it if you shop around. Scholastic carries several, as does Amazon!

It's true, the DS is good... but I still say not as good as the iPad. And many of my kids' favorite DS games (like Lego Harry Potter, for example) are on iPad and vastly cheaper.

Now, if they'd just bring those Professor Layton games to the iPad, it would be awesome...

It's true, the DS is good... but I still say not as good as the iPad. And many of my kids' favorite DS games (like Lego Harry Potter, for example) are on iPad and vastly cheaper.

Would love an iPad, but can't afford it and we don't have high speed, so we aren't able to utilize the features as well as most. Nintendo DS is our poor-man's iPad! :lol:

We just bought a LeapPad2 for the 4 year old. She LOVES it and uses it as much as allowed. There are several preprogrammed learning games on it and you get to choose another one when you register. There are a lot of educational games & videos that you can download right to the LeapPad without dealing with the cartridges (again, love it!). My older DD summed it up well when she said "Look! It's like an iPad for kids!"

Also, I put on a screen protector...just a few dollars more but worth it, according to reviews.

For a 4 and 6 year old, I'd highly recommend an iPod Touch. You can get the refurbished ones for not very much, and I imagine the 4th generation will be on sale soon when they upgrade it to the 5th generation.

There are a ton of apps that are free or low cost and you can't lose an app. My kids all have iPod Touches, except for the 2 year old. They have various generations. I do let them play games on them, but I also require them to have a variety including educational apps. Some of them prefer the educational apps to other types of games.

So, don't feel like you have to save up for the iPad to take advantage of the great free apps out there. The Touch is also a lot more portable than the iPad. I do recommend getting an Otterbox or Griffin Defender case for them though!

• 4 months later...

Well, we LOVE our electronic gadgets. We originally had Nintendo DS. Technically we still have them but lots of costs on game and just the mess and hassle of carrying those around and losing them. SIGH

I got a Nook Color and kids played games on it. Especially my then 3 year old liked it. Puzzles, books could be read aloud, etc. But, it has limits.

As kids got older, the older two boys asked for Ipod Touches for their birthdays and paid for part of it. They LOOOOOOVE them. Younger daughter (at age 5) got one for all the hours she had to log in at soccer games and practices. (Let's be honest, it was a gift for me so she would leave it alone.) But, lots of learning games, multiplication raps, etc. on these. Great for car trips too.

Then last year I got an Ipad. LOVE it! So do my kids. The screen is a great size for when we are actually doing more learning games. The Ipod touch screens are small and great for travel, etc. But, I would miss my Ipad terribly. We do pay for some apps, but not much. usually, kids get an Itunes gift card in their stockings and we use to purcahse. I have all the ipod Touches and the Ipad linked on one account so that whatever we buy on one, we share amongst all. Even, my Iphone gets the apss. (I am forever taking them off my iphone. LOL)

My brother and I purchased a tablet for my mom this Christmas. She wanted it for solitaire and card type games. So, we didn't fork out for an ipad. But, i would say, if I had to buy another one for my children's use, I would purchase the Ipad.

Kindle Fire

I have uploaded all of my music and school tracks into my amazon cloud. Just yestereday DS 1 listended to his CCM memory work, French Learnables tracks, and Jim Wiess' Thomas Jefferson cd.

Read alouds are actually happening, because we're not searching all over for the book and trying to remember where we left off.

We refuse to go ipad simply, because they try to monopolize the market. The itunes tracks only come in a format for i products. I buy all of my music from amazon, so it goes straight into my cloud.