Menu

Is this acceptable second grade handwriting?

staceyobu

DD is 7.5. She is in second grade. This was her writing today. This is about as neat as it gets.

We do CLE for LA. WWE for writing. We do ARFH A for handwriting.

I feel like she is a very messy writer... but maybe my standards are too high?

photo13_zpsc20b75c2.jpg

I'm going to attach a second image of more "goof off" handwriting...

photo14_zps6b79eb7e.jpg

Edited by staceyobu

Looks similar to what my daughter produced.

I would correct the "j" in jacket though. Commas still give my daughter fits.

I actually didn't catch the "j" until a while after she had finished! Otherwise, I would have made her fix it!

She did put a comma after yellow jacket... I think I chopped it off when I took the pic!

I actually didn't catch the "j" until a while after she had finished! Otherwise, I would have made her fix it!

She did put a comma after yellow jacket... I think I chopped it off when I took the pic!

I completely understand seeing things after the fact. I have a similar age spread as you! It happens.

I meant the comma after pants--that slashy mark. My 4th grader still tries to get away with that. That is what I meant about it still giving her fits. *giggle* So I would consider that comma appropriate for age.

Try smaller lines and see if it looks neater. My son had a really hard time writing neatly on huge lines like those in WWE. This year, I have him writing on regular wide ruled paper, and his handwriting is sooooooo much better. He writes on bigger lines for his cursive practice, but he's still learning how to form those letters, and it's a 2nd grade workbook (Pentime year 2). Otherwise, I use smaller ruled paper for him.

Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here and say that, yes, IMO, that is sloppy handwriting for a 2nd grader. BUT, I also agree with Boscopup (as usual),;) and think that some of the "sloppiness" might be due to the huge size of the lines. We use WWE here, too, but we don't use the student pages. Before the year begins, I type all the sentences for copywork into StartWrite, using a much smaller line spacing.

Try writing on those huge lines yourself. It is SO tiring! :tongue_smilie: My hand just about dies on those big lines, there was no way I could put the narrations on those pages. Try using different papers, until you find something that is less fatiguing for little hands.

And, in regard to the "sloppiness" of the casual writing, that doesn't count, Mommy! ;) That's just having fun with writing, which matters more than how neat it is. HTH.

Try smaller lines and see if it looks neater. My son had a really hard time writing neatly on huge lines like those in WWE. This year, I have him writing on regular wide ruled paper, and his handwriting is sooooooo much better. He writes on bigger lines for his cursive practice, but he's still learning how to form those letters, and it's a 2nd grade workbook (Pentime year 2). Otherwise, I use smaller ruled paper for him.

That. My DS(6) really looks sloppy when he uses the large lines, and when I gave him regular loose leaf paper it was gorgeous!

That. My DS(6) really looks sloppy when he uses the large lines, and when I gave him regular loose leaf paper it was gorgeous!

Us, too. His writing was pretty sloppy before we started using Spalding and regular lined paper. He is much faster and much, much, much neater! That being said, I don't think your dd's writing looks sloppy :). She is as good or better than some of the fourth graders I taught in ps.

• 2 months later...

I agree you should move on to smaller lines. Her handwriting is better than my husband's! LOL Looks similar to my 3rd & 4th graders' "just get it done" writing, though my 3rd grader can write neater than this when he's trying to be neat. I think it's fine and neatness might improve with smaller lines to work with. My 3rd grader is always making weird commas, too. lol He likes to make a filled in circle and then the curved part and I'm trying to convince him not to do it like that. haha

• 2 weeks later...

To me her handwriting looks great!

I've tried different sized paper with my 7 yo son and it doesn't seem to make a difference. His handwriting is legible most of the time but I can't get him to focus on staying on the lines. :confused1: It's like he doesn't pay any attention to them at all. Any suggestions?

His lowercase a's always look like q's too, but I think he gets that from his Dad. :glare:

Try smaller lines and see if it looks neater. My son had a really hard time writing neatly on huge lines like those in WWE. This year, I have him writing on regular wide ruled paper, and his handwriting is sooooooo much better.

:iagree: It's hard to have neat handwriting on such huge lines.