Menu

If you remember my ALEKS post, you know we are in search of something better mathwise for our middle and upper level dc. I am this close --> () to buying Chalkdust for all of them (PreAlg and up). Before I spend a gazillion dollars on this (I'm looking at $1600+), please give me some input here. I don't mind spending the money if it really helps, but . . . ouch . . . I just need to make sure it's the best decision for us. I've spent hours upon hours researching, including looking through old posts, reading reviews, watching samples, discussing with dh, etc. Chalkdust does seem the best option for us, but if you had a bad experience with Chalkdust, please tell me NOW.

Not a bad experience, but it just doesn't fit my son's learning style. My son has been a 'math' kid since he was very small. He gets concepts easily. I purchased Chalkdust Geometry for him thinking it would be a nice switch from the textbook approach he's been using, but it turned out to just be onerous to him. He didn't need the dvd teaching sessions. I kept finding him just working in the textbook. So, for us, it was overkill to use CD.

Then I reflected on all the dvd learning programs I've purchased over the years and made a startling discovery (albeit very late :glare:). My sons don't do well with this style of teaching/learning.

If your kids do well with dvds/online learning, CD will probably work for you.

Not a bad experience, but it just doesn't fit my son's learning style. My son has been a 'math' kid since he was very small. He gets concepts easily. I purchased Chalkdust Geometry for him thinking it would be a nice switch from the textbook approach he's been using, but it turned out to just be onerous to him. He didn't need the dvd teaching sessions. I kept finding him just working in the textbook. So, for us, it was overkill to use CD.

Then I reflected on all the dvd learning programs I've purchased over the years and made a startling discovery (albeit very late :glare:). My sons don't do well with this style of teaching/learning.

Hi, Cynthia. Thanks for responding. Yes, this is a question definitely worth considering. Hmmm. I know at least two of them do very well with DVD learning, and I know my oldest would have bucked with it (but she's not in the mix anymore), and the other three . . . well, I'm just not sure.

One thing I've been thinking about though is that *I* do well with DVD learning. Dh, really can't be the math tutor anymore. He wants to think he can, but even he is coming to the point of realizing he isn't available enough. Since I really need to be the math mom, I'm wondering if we should go with something that reflects *my* learning style. If the dc only want to use the text and skip the DVD's, fine, but at least the DVD's would be there for *me* to refer to and remind me of some of the math I learned way back in the dark ages of high school and college. Do you think Chalkdust could work that way? Do you think it would be okay for them to use the textbook, having the DVD's on hand for help if we run into snags? Then again that's a lot of money for just a textbook. Clearly I need to really think through their learning style. They have done fantastic with IEW SWI and SWICC, but I think that's a little different. I don't know how DVD learning would be for math.

I've been thinking about you, wondering how things are going with the newest punkin and all. I'm so glad to see you here! :D

Now I'll go back to lurking, waiting to eavesdrop on replies to your post.

Hi! We're doing great with the punkin. Crazy crazy busy, but great. I'm realizing I never really anticipated what it would be like to have teenagers chatting with me in my room until midnight and then a little punkin ready to nurse by 5 AM. I love it, but ... well ... I feel a little spacy all the time from sleep deprivation. Anyway, nice to 'see' you, too!

Luann, Chalkdust and Videotext, two of the more popular DVD programs, both have free samples of their courses. I ordered them and it really helped my dd and I to make a decision. We decided on VT, since my dd liked how they presented the material.

...it turned out to just be onerous to him. He didn't need the dvd teaching sessions. So, for us, it was overkill to use CD.

My sons don't do well with this style of teaching/learning.

My ds would "zone" out because some of the Chalkdust dvd lessons were too long. Saxon's dvd lessons are MUCH shorter.

Also Chalkdust Algebra I & up are college textbooks. They are not as homeschool friendly as say Saxon or Life of Fred algebra which has clear lessons & lesson plans. You have to create lesson plans for CD and figure out which problems to do because some chapters have over 150 problems.

Look at the book here:

here: http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/elementary_algebra/4e/students/ace/ace.html

Luann, Chalkdust and Videotext, two of the more popular DVD programs, both have free samples of their courses. I ordered them and it really helped my dd and I to make a decision. We decided on VT, since my dd liked how they presented the material.

Whew, at first I thought you said you *bought* both programs and I thought "ooooh, so now she wants me to spend a gazabagilion dollars instead of just the gazilion I was planning on. When dh asks where all our money went, I'm going to point my fingers straight at Lisa in NY!" :lol: Now I see you got the *free* samples. I'm just so sleep deprived I can barely think straight today. Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. I have VT's website up in my tabs now, and I'm going to go take a really good look.

Also Chalkdust Algebra I & up are college textbooks. They are not as homeschool friendly as say Saxon or Life of Fred algebra which has clear lessons & lesson plans. You have to create lesson plans for CD and figure out which problems to do because some chapters have over 150 problems.

Look at the book here:

here: http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/elementary_algebra/4e/students/ace/ace.html

Wow, these are definitely factors to take into consideration. All of you are great. I'm glad I asked!

Just to add my 2 cents. I have used Chalkdust for Algebra 2. I'm a math person but I haven't used graphing calculators and I thought I might need a refresher. Ds and I watched the videos together and then he did the problems. If he ran into trouble, I had watched them too and could help. If you can't help, Chalkdust is available by phone.

I tutored a young lady who was using VT and I was not impressed. I believe you need plenty of problems in order to reinforce Algebra and most text books DO offer lots of problems. She was struggling and I really believe it was because there just wasn't enough reinforcement.

After the Alg 2, DS tested right into College Alg (actually quite a bit over the cut off) on the college placement test. HTH.

The instruction is fabulous. I cannot recommend it highly enough. However, as far as whether your dc are likely to take to dvd instruction, I have a different take on this: assuming your children decide to go to college, they are going to be in a lecture-type situation. Thus, I view DVD instruction as a great introduction to this type of learning. Although my ds has the luxury of stopping the DVD (which he wouldn't have with a live lecture), I do think learning in this way has value in an of itself whether it is math or some other subject.

We love it. DD really likes the instructor. My copy of Pre-Alg and Alg I has been making the rounds of my friends this summer. I think there are about 3 families that are going to switch to Chalkdust. They like what they see.

It is pricey, but worth it for our family.

Holly

I used it with my oldest son and he did well with it. I needed to watch the lessons so I could answer questions. The text is not user friendly like the Lial's and the DVD instruction is superb. We used Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, College Algebra, and the SAT Review series. He tested out of College Algebra. He was not math oriented (he's an art kinda guy) so that's why I had to help and watch the instruction. I did not use it for my second son because it would have been over his head. I am going to stick with Lial's for my daughter because I really like the text and it is just a good fit for her. Again, I think Chalkdust would be too hard for her.

Bottom line is Chalkdust is worth it for a highly motivated student who wants to pursue math in college. I think you could get by with something else much cheaper and get great math instruction. Chalkdust is very easy to resell and it really only cost me $100 per year because of the resell value.

Laurie in CA

dd(14) TOG and other stuff

The instruction is fabulous. I cannot recommend it highly enough. However, as far as whether your dc are likely to take to dvd instruction, I have a different take on this: assuming your children decide to go to college, they are going to be in a lecture-type situation. Thus, I view DVD instruction as a great introduction to this type of learning. Although my ds has the luxury of stopping the DVD (which he wouldn't have with a live lecture), I do think learning in this way has value in an of itself whether it is math or some other subject.

... because I read all your wonderful posts this morning. And, you make an excellent point here regarding preparing students for college lectures,

although I had to laugh a little because dh and I were talking the other day about how he managed to get through college physics by attending the first class and the exams. (He only went to the first class to find out when the exams were.) i.e. He learned it all from the textbook. Obviously one can't get through every college class that way and you are right. Learning to learn from lectures is an important skill that homeschoolers could easily miss out on.

I meant that the Larson text is hard to use w/o the dvd's. When I got lazy and didn't watch the lesson and my son needed help, it took forever for me to get the information needed from the Larson text. It was much easier for me to just watch the lesson and not have to wade throught the textbook.Mr. Mosely actually condenses/highlights the lesson from the book so it actually will save you time. I think someone earlier said they used the text w/o the dvd's because the student didn't like the dvd instruction and they were wondering if Chalkdust was worth the $$. Anyway, the Lial textbooks are very user friendly and self-teaching, so-to-speak and can be used without video lectures. We do use the dvt's (Lial's, not Chalkdust) with the Lial's and they are ok. Chalkdust lectures are superior to the Lial's. Does that clear it up a bit?

Laurie in CA

dd(14) TOG and other stuff

with Chalkdust was very good. Dana Mosely's teaching is excellent, although I would agree that some of the lessons are long.

My dd's routine in the mornings (we hit math first thing in the morning) was as follows:

1.) Listen to the lesson on the DVD.

2.) Listen to the lesson a second time and take notes! The latter I insisted on, for this reason: the Larson text is pretty "succinct" and not as explanatory as I would like it to be. I found that the better part of the instruction was from Dana Mosely's lessons rather than the text. I was used to Lial's, which has an almost self-teaching text. Therefore, I found that her retention was better if she tooks notes. Your experience with your dc may be different.

3.) This did make for a long lesson on the first morning; I had her then do half, or almost half, of the problem set. The second half of the problem set (done the second day) was typically more difficult than the first, but the overall time was offset by the fact that she had taken notes the day before.

This was all with Chalkdust Geometry; we did not use their Algebra I or Algebra II programs.

HTH!

Whew, at first I thought you said you *bought* both programs and I thought "ooooh, so now she wants me to spend a gazabagilion dollars instead of just the gazilion I was planning on. When dh asks where all our money went, I'm going to point my fingers straight at Lisa in NY!" :lol: Now I see you got the *free* samples. I'm just so sleep deprived I can barely think straight today. Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. I have VT's website up in my tabs now, and I'm going to go take a really good look.

LOL! It would be nice to have enough money to buy TWO DVD programs, wouldn't it? :D

Luann, whatever you decide, post an update to let us know how things are going. I plan to do the same thing once we get further along with VT. It is always helpful to know how others have done with a particular program. :001_smile:

Luann, whatever you decide, post an update to let us know how things are going. I plan to do the same thing once we get further along with VT. It is always helpful to know how others have done with a particular program. :001_smile:

Yes, I will do that. Dh and I were talking this morning about it. He really likes Chalkdust, so we'll see...

I meant that the Larson text is hard to use w/o the dvd's. When I got lazy and didn't watch the lesson and my son needed help, it took forever for me to get the information needed from the Larson text. It was much easier for me to just watch the lesson and not have to wade throught the textbook.Mr. Mosely actually condenses/highlights the lesson from the book so it actually will save you time. I think someone earlier said they used the text w/o the dvd's because the student didn't like the dvd instruction and they were wondering if Chalkdust was worth the $$. Anyway, the Lial textbooks are very user friendly and self-teaching, so-to-speak and can be used without video lectures. We do use the dvt's (Lial's, not Chalkdust) with the Lial's and they are ok. Chalkdust lectures are superior to the Lial's. Does that clear it up a bit?

Laurie in CA

Thank you so much, Laurie. Your posts have been very helpful. I think looking at a DVD would be a lot easier for me than wading through the text. I mean watching a DVD is something I can do while juggling a baby.

We did use Lial's BCM and liked it very much, but that was back in the good old days when dh was able to step in to help more often. It's good to be able to consider that the Chalkdust texts are less user friendly. I definitely need to factor that into the decision.

with Chalkdust was very good. Dana Mosely's teaching is excellent, although I would agree that some of the lessons are long.

My dd's routine in the mornings (we hit math first thing in the morning) was as follows:

1.) Listen to the lesson on the DVD.

2.) Listen to the lesson a second time and take notes! The latter I insisted on, for this reason: the Larson text is pretty "succinct" and not as explanatory as I would like it to be. I found that the better part of the instruction was from Dana Mosely's lessons rather than the text. I was used to Lial's, which has an almost self-teaching text. Therefore, I found that her retention was better if she tooks notes. Your experience with your dc may be different.

3.) This did make for a long lesson on the first morning; I had her then do half, or almost half, of the problem set. The second half of the problem set (done the second day) was typically more difficult than the first, but the overall time was offset by the fact that she had taken notes the day before.

This was all with Chalkdust Geometry; we did not use their Algebra I or Algebra II programs.

HTH!

This sounds like a good plan. I especially like the idea of taking notes. Just how long would you say those lessons (on the first morning) were?

Thanks for your help, Michelle!

Hello Luann!

My older son will be using CD PreCalc this year as a junior. Hopefully, he will love it, because we are committed now! Have you looked for CD used? I'm asking because we found it used at our homeschool convention for $200 right before we were going to buy it new. That savings paid for our hotel room (well, almost!) I'm praying that all the DVDs work! Blessings as you decide on math, and congrats on the new addition to your family,

April

Since I really need to be the math mom, I'm wondering if we should go with something that reflects *my* learning style.

I think that is perfectly reasonable. I have found that same thing to be true throughout all my homeschooling years. If I can't teach it (esp. in the younger years) I don't purchase it.

Best wishes on your quest :-)

This sounds like a good plan. I especially like the idea of taking notes. Just how long would you say those lessons (on the first morning) were?

Thanks for your help, Michelle!

bear in mind that dd chose to listen to the lesson twice. However, it was one of those things that worked for her. To listen to the lesson once, then again, and then take notes probably took her at least an hour, off and on between chores, running to brush her teeth, etc. Then she would do half of the problem set, which took 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Math was not a "fast" thing at our house! :( At any rate, she did much better in geometry this year than she did when I pushed her into Algebra II last year (9th grade) before she was really ready for it. Unfortunately, I'm not a gifted math teacher, which is why I have this secret wish that some of my favorite people from the WTM boards would move close to our house and help tutor in areas like math, Latin, science, etc. :D

Luann,

I use Foerster and Jacob's, so I don't know about all of the other programs. (although I did purchase CD Geometry last year, but switched for the same reasons as CynthiaOK.)

But... I did view the VT sample cd and thought it was good.

Since VT covers ALL concepts of pre-algebra through advanced algebra, wouldn't purchasing this one program help several dc at once?

Also, my dd successfully used Saxon 8/7 with the DIVE cd's. I don't know if you like Saxon, but DIVE is certainly cheaper than ChalkDust. Anyway, FWIW, I was just brainstorming!

Susan

I LOVE Chalkdust! It was a mind-changing, eye opening math experience for my non-mathy oldest daughter. She had so many "a-ha!" moments while using Chalkdust Alg 2 that she many times verbalized how much she wished we had found Chalkdust earlier. She placed into college math after that and made an A in her math class there. It didn't think it highly advanced---she's REALLY non-mathy! Dr. Mosely's explanations are very clear and we always had the option of rewatching any session that needed more time devoted to it.

My next child is very mathy and had already tried Lial's with the DVTs. After doing some of Alg 2 with the oldest, he really didn't like the teachers on the DVT's when compared to Mosely. He did Geometry and Alg 2 last year. He found the Geometry to be challenging but got an A in it. My neice who is a good student but not particularly mathy thought the geometry was pretty easy. My ds really liked Alg 2.

My 3rd child is a good student but not particularly mathy and used Pre-Alg this year. She learned a lot and had to work harder with math this year than any previous year but again, Dr. Mosely's instruction was excellent and there were plenty of practice problems in the book to work with.

I've used Lial's w/DVTs and without, Saxon, and Jacobs Alg 1 and Geometry. If you couldn't tell, I'm a huge Chalkdust fan now. BTW, I found all of my sets plus an Alg 1 set for my sister used online. I save a bunch like that.

Hope that helps,

Christi